Apple's Tim Cook dismisses Android iPad competitors as bizarre, vapor

Comments

• Reply 161 of 215
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    btw, has anyone else noticed the visual tricks Samsung is using in its Galaxy tab ads to make it look bigger than it really is? all the forced perspective shots where a hand and tab stand out in close up against a receding background view? and a guy in the ad holding it who is definitely on the small side? cheap tricks.
  • Reply 162 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Correct, however it's not Cook trash talking, it's Dilger. Cook never mentioned vapourware. Dilger made that up for the article.

On Android tablets Cook said "In terms of next generation. There?s nothing shipping yet. So I don?t know. Today they're vapor".

Cook was taking a shot at android. He would prefer it if people purchased apple products.
  • Reply 163 of 215
    istudistud Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dtla1730 View Post

Crack prices in Cupertino must've fallen recently.

Anyway, Android's a great mobile os and Apple don't have the tab on tabletness. They need to relax over there. That's A

B... i'm a Winblows user and I own a mac. Mac users know nothing which is why Apple and its 3rd party developers are able to monetize every aspect of personal computing anymore where mac use is concerned. Paying for video codecs? Come on. If Apple users knew anything they wouldn't go for it.

C... I own an android phone and know full well Android is capable of much. OSX is unix-based as is Android (linux-based) so the idea of an Applehead calling Android unprepared to deal with tablets is kind of stupid. Which would pretty much be par for the course.

Geeks will be Geeks. 10% of the potential market, maybe less. The rest needs an easy to use system, where there is no need to be an expert geek to use it. Whoever gets that will win the tablet wars...
  • Reply 164 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Well it also has to be a tested solution. My company spend 4 million dollars on that system.

Not to mention too I doubt the ipad can print to our printers, ever.

We also have our incoming call center use that same system to keep track of our customers info, make new work orders to order parts from various venders, etc.

In the future when tablet's (more like ARM) gets good enough, we'll see a shift. But the support and infrastructure isn't there yet, and Apple doesn't seem to get the enterprise.

...And Redmond sold you that package for how much?
  • Reply 165 of 215
    Quote:

Crack prices in Cupertino must've fallen recently.

[...]

B... i'm a Winblows user and I own a mac. Mac users know nothing which is why Apple and its 3rd party developers are able to monetize every aspect of personal computing anymore where mac use is concerned. Paying for video codecs? Come on. If Apple users knew anything they wouldn't go for it.

[...]

I have to disagree. I am a Mac user, and many like me came from Windows. We've been there, done that... we made a choice. How many people out there are running Windows despite having the knowledge/choice/experience of using something else? Pretty much everyone uses it because "It is there" and they don't know better.
  • Reply 166 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

Cook was taking a shot at android. He would prefer it if people purchased apple products.

Yes, i think he would prefer that. However, i do think there is some validity in looking at how vapor got turned into vaporware. It seems to me that Captain Cook's hands were tied in addressing all of the 80+ tablets. His description of 'vapor' is quite apt in describing something that he doesn't know enough about to see how it actually compares to an Ipad. I mean really if you don't know pricing, availability, battery life, and more. What are you supposed to say to how your product compares? I'd buy 100 xooms if they were 1$ and I could go to the store and get one right now, also if they were powered by magic fairy dust that negated a need for batteries. Now wouldn't that be magical?

He said everything he was really qualified to say. He mentioned why he thinks even if the slew of tablets are as good as they say they are, Apple isn't afraid to compete and they have unique offerings in terms of integration, ecosystem, etc that nobody can match.

Most importantly, he emphasized several times how excited Apple is about the products they have in their pipeline.

I'm a pretty leniant guy when it comes to companies releasing products and not delivering them for a couple months. But recently my patience has been tried and tested. I'm starting to think that a company doesn't deserve marketing hype, and publicity based off mockups and concepts. The annoyingness doesn't end here though, these same companies that are producing concepts and models, and advanced prototypes, want you to consider their products when making an argument in the present. You know? Like their nonexistant product has already changed the game, and if you don't take it into consideration than you are a dillusional fanboy or something.
  • Reply 167 of 215
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Bravo for you for not falling for the "7 inch tablet screen size is a feature" sales job. The whole 7 inch "form factor" is purely driven by price and an inability to compete with Apple in the 10" space. And if the iPad 2 rumors are true, the gap will widen even further!

I'm not really buying that 7" is a bad size though. The size worked pretty well the times I've used them.
  • Reply 168 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hatunike View Post

Yes, i think he would prefer that. However, i do think there is some validity in looking at how vapor got turned into vaporware. It seems to me that Captain Cook's hands were tied in addressing all of the 80+ tablets. His description of 'vapor' is quite apt in describing something that he doesn't know enough about to see how it actually compares to an Ipad. I mean really if you don't know pricing, availability, battery life, and more. What are you supposed to say to how your product compares? I'd buy 100 xooms if they were 1$ and I could go to the store and get one right now, also if they were powered by magic fairy dust that negated a need for batteries. Now wouldn't that be magical?

He said everything he was really qualified to say. He mentioned why he thinks even if the slew of tablets are as good as they say they are, Apple isn't afraid to compete and they have unique offerings in terms of integration, ecosystem, etc that nobody can match.

Most importantly, he emphasized several times how excited Apple is about the products they have in their pipeline.

I'm a pretty leniant guy when it comes to companies releasing products and not delivering them for a couple months. But recently my patience has been tried and tested. I'm starting to think that a company doesn't deserve marketing hype, and publicity based off mockups and concepts. The annoyingness doesn't end here though, these same companies that are producing concepts and models, and advanced prototypes, want you to consider their products when making an argument in the present. You know? Like their nonexistant product has already changed the game, and if you don't take it into consideration than you are a dillusional fanboy or something.

I'm with you actually. I meant that firefly7475 was sugarcoating it. I thought Cook handled things quite well.
  • Reply 169 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

Promiseware or futureware or hypeware woulda been more accurate. guess he just wanted to show Apple has its game on.

That's an interesting point, but I've never heard of those words before you posted them. Did you make them up, or have you seen them used before?
  • Reply 170 of 215
    This post sounds suspiciously like a drive-by troll, but giving you the benefit of the doubt...

Quote:

What codecs? I can't help but wonder if you're referring to a circumstance that's out of date. On the other hand, I recall being prevented from playing DVDs on Windows when I install using the Windows OEM install disc, I think it required a paid codec to play MPEG-2 as well. Now, MPEG2 isn't necessary unless you do video edit work, which is included with Final Cut Studio anyway.

Even assuming Apple sells a necessary codec separately from their computers, there are no-cost options available. Installing Perian tends to fill in the gaps and provide more obscure codecs too.

Quote:

C... I own an android phone and know full well Android is capable of much. OSX is unix-based as is Android (linux-based) so the idea of an Applehead calling Android unprepared to deal with tablets is kind of stupid. Which would pretty much be par for the course.

Having a UNIX-ish origin is just a starting point, a foundation if you will. If you can't build well above it, a solid foundation doesn't matter. The base of the OS is just one factor, and it has no bearing on the OS interface. If it were, then you'd need to explain why Android is the first Linux-based OS to have significant pull in the consumer market, outside of maybe TiVo. The BSD and Mach have been around for quite some time too, only Apple has managed to make a viable consumer device with the pieces they've used as their foundation. That said, the Samsung tablet looks pretty nice the times I've played with it.
  • Reply 171 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

So if 88 of 100 Fortune 100 companies are supporting the iPhone, and 80 the iPad, who are the IT fascists holding up deployment at the other companies?

That would be AAPL haters..... I mean competitors. In the S&P 500, Microsoft, Adobe, HP, etc...
  • Reply 172 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I'm not really buying that 7" is a bad size though. The size worked pretty well the times I've used them.

yes i WANT a 7" form factor. i have the ipad but i want one smaller so i can take it around everywhere and it not be so cumbersome. i just don't understand Apple with this 10" is it. (along with the 27" led display as the ONLY size they sell. seems crazy to me.)
  • Reply 173 of 215
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 174 of 215
    deleted
  • Reply 175 of 215
    deleted
  • Reply 176 of 215
    deleted
  • Reply 177 of 215
    deleted
  • Reply 178 of 215
    oskiooskio Posts: 60member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"There?s nothing shipping yet, and they lack performance specs and pricing..."

Does this mean that Apple now intends to give us specs on all their products ahead of time? Uh Apple? Specs on the iPad2 please....we are waiting.

Doubt it....they like to give us a big show and say "shipping today" or "shipping next week."

I personally don't think it is a big deal they are lacking performance specs and pricing.....the big deal is they are lacking an actual product and will be for the most part until around the iPad3, then, like the iPhone, it will be too late.
  • Reply 179 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by biggarthomas View Post

Interestingly enough, I do not think that Cook took on the Blackberry Playbook. I think that despite its 7" screen, the Playbook represents a serious challenge to Cupertino's domination. Well, not so much a challenge to their domination as a challenge to their unbelievable marketshare.

Cook did take on the Playbook: Vaporware. Wake me up when it comes out with or after the iPad 2...
  • Reply 180 of 215
    deleted