China now home to Apple's most visited stores as retail earns $3.9B

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple's retail stores had yet another impressive quarter earning $3.85 billion over the holidays, with the success by four locations in China that bring in the most traffic and highest revenue for the iPhone maker.

Apple executives spoke about the company's retail growth in a conference call following their quarterly earnings report on Tuesday. Apple's retail sales accounted for about $3.85 billion in revenue in the quarter, a total 95 percent larger than a year before.

For the first time ever, retail segment margin exceeded $1 billion, and more than doubled from the $481 million in the same quarter in fiscal 2010. Apple's stores hosted a record 75.7 million visitors, up 49 percent from the 50.9 million visitors a year prior.

As has been the case for some time, more than half of all Macs sold in stores were to customers that had never owned a Mac before. But the real story of Apple's stores is internationally, where stores, on average, see even more customers than in the U.S.

"Our four stores in China were, on average, our highest traffic and our highest revenue stores in the world," Apple Chief Financial Officer Peter Oppenheimer said on Tuesday. The company has 323 stores worldwide, with 87 of them outside of the U.S.

Apple opened its first retail store in China in 2008. Though the company only has four locations in the nation of over 1 billion people, it has plans to aggresively expand and open a total of 25 stores.

Last July, Apple opened a new flagship store in Shanghai which is marked by a giant glass cylinder leading to the underground store. The location routinely draws crowds as Apple's products, like the iPhone and iPad, find great success in China.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    They are definitely putting the stores in the right places then..... this is pretty amazing news, but then again China's nouveau rich have money because we keep getting all our stuff manufactured there. At least Apple is grabbing some of it back.... Rock on guys!!
  • Reply 2 of 30
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I wish we had a way to pull up all the troll's posts that wrote here that in China people had no money and Apple was wasting its time!
  • Reply 3 of 30
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    What China makes, the world takes- including China.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Maybe Apple could open a factory outlet store.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    Is it just me or is this another amazing opportunity. Highest traffic ever, amazing mix of products, Mac ap store.... Is it finally time to create a Mac for the common man maybe a 15 in iMac again or a bundle with the Mac mini that allows people that can't spend 2100 on a new Mac a chance to see what the rest of us already know.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I wish we had a way to pull up all the troll's posts that wrote here that in China people had no money and Apple was wasting its time!

Or that Japan and S. Korea have such advanced cellphones that the pathetic iPhone would make an impact.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Maybe Apple could open a factory outlet store.

<inserts punchline drum roll>
  • Reply 7 of 30
    Lenovo's Chairman once said that Steve Jobs doesn't care about China, and that if he did they'll all be in trouble..

It looks like Apple really cares about China.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    Chinese Apple store still shows no supply for iPhone 4. Therefore we have no idea what sales could be.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

He he... I wish some clever Dick with too much time on his hands would create a very clever page that could pull up all the naysayers and their relevant comments on any given topic. The iPad dissers would make the biggest group by far. Not that I keep tabs (really, I have a life) but I am sure there are many regular posters here that would hate for any such page to ever appear.

As for the usual trolls (children of TechStud), there is no point... cough cough [points to signature]
  • Reply 10 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Midwestmacguy View Post

Is it just me or is this another amazing opportunity. Highest traffic ever, amazing mix of products, Mac ap store.... Is it finally time to create a Mac for the common man maybe a 15 in iMac again or a bundle with the Mac mini that allows people that can't spend 2100 on a new Mac a chance to see what the rest of us already know.

15" iMac Air $599

-no optical drive

-64 GB SSD

-320 GB HD

17" iMac Air $799

-no optical drive

-128 GB SSD

-500 GB HD
  • Reply 11 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

He he... I wish some clever Dick with too much time on his hands would create a very clever page that could pull up all the naysayers and their relevant comments on any given topic. The iPad dissers would make the biggest group by far.

Here you go:

http://www.asymco.com/2010/03/09/music-sweet-music/
  • Reply 12 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

15" iMac Air $599

-no optical drive

-64 GB SSD

-320 GB HD

17" iMac Air $799

-no optical drive

-128 GB SSD

-500 GB HD

Just like that!!!
  • Reply 13 of 30
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Seems like everything this week is about China. CNN and Apple are crazy about China.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    it was about time..
  • Reply 15 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Seems like everything this week is about China. CNN and Apple are crazy about China.

Uh-huh.

There just happens to be a minor state visit that some people might be paying attention to....
  • Reply 16 of 30
  • Reply 17 of 30
    irontedironted Posts: 129member
    Steve, get well soon!
  • Reply 18 of 30
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Lenovo's Chairman once said that Steve Jobs doesn't care about China, and that if he did they'll all be in trouble..

It looks like Apple really cares about China.

Yup. I wonder if Lenovo's Chairman has been uninstalled yet.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

15" iMac Air $599

-no optical drive

-64 GB SSD

-320 GB HD

17" iMac Air $799

-no optical drive

-128 GB SSD

-500 GB HD

And then there's the refurbished iPads < US $450.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    aiaaia Posts: 181member
    Quote:

Well there were quite a few of them in this recent thread:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=115922

I've voiced my opinion on this subject there as well, but this excerpt pretty much sums things up:

"I feel that Apple is about to reach a tipping point in China - nearly everyone that plays with my iPad ends up buying one for themselves (or asks me to bring them one from the US). Apple obviously realizes the same and it's why they are planning to open so many stores across China next year. And it's not just iPhones and iPads that are selling well - from talking with staff at the Apple store, the new MacBook Airs are hot sellers too."