Apple's Tim Cook dismisses Android iPad competitors as bizarre, vapor

15678911»

Comments

• Reply 201 of 215
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    To be clear what he is recommending as an advantage of Android is one of the worst programming practices you can engage in.
  • Reply 202 of 215
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by androidmax View Post

Ok fair enough. But I think you are mistaken about Android users, and I think there are at least as many apple users who use apple products because its considered 'cool' and not because its a better platform. Im sure many Apple users like Android just fine.

I think in their world it's cool because it is a better platform.

Tech crowds are fickle, they blow in and out with great speed when the experience isn't what they originally thought. Give Apple two years on Verizon and watch the effect of end of contract next phone picking. Until then the full effect of iOS vs Android won't be known.

We will get an inkling of it when we see the Verizon affected iPhone vs Android sales figures in a few months though. If Android doesn't show strong growth alongside the iPhone the courts of public opinion will already be showing it's voting via pocketbook. If Android growth recovers from the iPhone4 related sumer/fall flatness then Android is doing just fine and will avoid the consumer outrush.
  • Reply 203 of 215
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

We will get an inkling of it when we see the Verizon affected iPhone vs Android sales figures in a few months though. If Android doesn't show strong growth alongside the iPhone the courts of public opinion will already be showing it's voting via pocketbook. If Android growth recovers from the iPhone4 related sumer/fall flatness then Android is doing just fine and will avoid the consumer outrush.

We will have to discount the first couple of months of iPhone sales which will largely be servicing pent-up demand. I think we will have a better understanding six months out.
  • Reply 204 of 215
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

I think in their world it's cool because it is a better platform.

Tech crowds are fickle, they blow in and out with great speed when the experience isn't what they originally thought. Give Apple two years on Verizon and watch the effect of end of contract next phone picking. Until then the full effect of iOS vs Android won't be known.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

We will have to discount the first couple of months of iPhone sales which will largely be servicing pent-up demand. I think we will have a better understanding six months out.

Unfortunately, Apple will deliver new HW and OS updates in both the 6 month and 2 year timeframe so any evidence that Apple has killed the popularity of premium* Android-based phones will be countered by the anti-Apple chowderheads with something along the lines of, ?That?s only because Apple finally listened to their customers? or ?That?s because they stole those advanced ideas from Android, who had it way b4 Apple.?
  • Reply 205 of 215
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

Pent up demand will be amortised over the length of whatever contract the verizon Android defector is on. New smartphone users matter as well.
  • Reply 206 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OskiO View Post

Does this mean that Apple now intends to give us specs on all their products ahead of time? Uh Apple? Specs on the iPad2 please....we are waiting.

Doubt it....they like to give us a big show and say "shipping today" or "shipping next week."

I personally don't think it is a big deal they are lacking performance specs and pricing.....the big deal is they are lacking an actual product and will be for the most part until around the iPad3, then, like the iPhone, it will be too late.

Nice job totally ignoring the context of the thread to make irrelevant comments. When Apple announces, they will announce all the specs fit top print and when you can order and expect shipping. Pre-production, line-test models that will be exactly the same as shipping models will be available to touch and exercise.

Almost the entirety of CES tablet based announcements came without hard shipping deadlines, specs, or running pre-production hardware to touch. Prototypes don't count, they don't come off a production line gearing up for shipping like pre-production hardware does. Even worse then prototypes are the non-functional demo's which only run canned videos. Those are completely isolated from what the hardware/software will actually do come ship time. So yes, there is more than a little vapor there.
  • Reply 207 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post

I can see saying that Android apps suck and that Android has no tablet specific apps, but you can't criticize Android tablets like the Galaxy Tab for using the same operating system as Android phones. The iPhone and iPad use the same operating system and that has nothing to do with the fact that the iPad has thousands of tablet specific apps.

Correct. But you can criticize Galaxy Tabs for trying to use the Android phone GUI with almost no modification and forcing odd CSS formatting to try to make it even fit.

Apple at least gave each separately sized platform correctly sized CocoaTouch widgets and layouts rather than just regurgitating a single non-optimal layout into the iPad.

The fact many sloppily call that little difference the OS rather than the GUI layer of the OS is getting a bit pedantic because an OS is the sum of it's components and services. And if one component is rather badly handled, the OS rightfully gets painted with the wide brush. Especially when that component is the face of the OS.
  • Reply 208 of 215
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Pent up demand will be amortised over the length of whatever contract the verizon Android defector is on. New smartphone users matter as well.

True. I am just saying that the initial Verizon iPhone sales will be an outlier.
  • Reply 209 of 215
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Unfortunately, Apple will deliver new HW and OS updates in both the 6 month and 2 year timeframe so any evidence that Apple has killed the popularity of premium* Android-based phones will be countered by the anti-Apple chowderheads with something along the lines of, ?That?s only because Apple finally listened to their customers? or ?That?s because they stole those advanced ideas from Android, who had it way b4 Apple.?

Or, failing that, noting that Apple is manufacturing sheep and dupes at an every increasing rate and anyway, Verizon was much nicer before all those posers showed up.
  • Reply 210 of 215
    Quote:

I think there could be a number of industries where a smaller form-factor might be beneficial:
    1. medical settings: hospitals, clinincs, doctor's offfices;

2. on-site service: cable companies, appliance repair;

3. courier services

I am sure there are more but those came to mind quickly. None of those would require a 10" tablet and carrying something smaller might prove to be an advantage.

I could be wrong, but I thought the main purpose of the iPad's design (and it's 10" screen) was an answer to reading iBooks. Such as competition to devices such as the Kindle. Sure it could be much more, but IMO Jobs seemed to make pretty clear what market he was after.

That said, I think the iPad v2 will have double the resolution because it fits into better reading. Jobs said at it's introduction that the iPad could be versatile to many other uses, but he focused on a reader to revive the dying print medium.
  • Reply 211 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

I could be wrong, but I thought the main purpose of the iPad's design (and it's 10" screen) was an answer to reading iBooks. Such as competition to devices such as the Kindle. Sure it could be much more, but IMO Jobs seemed to make pretty clear what market he was after.

That said, I think the iPad v2 will have double the resolution because it fits into better reading. Jobs said at it's introduction that the iPad could be versatile to many other uses, but he focused on a reader to revive the dying print medium.

I am not questioning the use case for the 10" iPad; I am pondering if Apple might create a smaller device to address a different market much as the iPod started with a single model but subsequently became three.
  • Reply 212 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

I want to be impressed again by Apple. I realize Cook and Jobs have to do a circle jerk with the investors but I want to be impressed and WOWED by the next Ipad and the next MBP like I am with the new MBA.

That's a tall order to live up to. When being WOWED is normal...
  • Reply 213 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

I have to disagree. I am a Mac user, and many like me came from Windows. We've been there, done that... we made a choice. How many people out there are running Windows despite having the knowledge/choice/experience of using something else? Pretty much everyone uses it because "It is there" and they don't know better.

Fear of change?
  • Reply 214 of 215
    Quote:

I am not questioning the use case for the 10" iPad; I am pondering if Apple might create a smaller device to address a different market much as the iPod started with a single model but subsequently became three.

Well I'd never say never, particularly when it comes to Apple. But for now, right from the horse's mouth, Apple has stated they don't see a market viable for their economies of scale. IMHO, if there were a big enough market for a 7" iPad, Apple would already be selling it.
  • Reply 215 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

Well I'd never say never, particularly when it comes to Apple. But for now, right from the horse's mouth, Apple has stated they don't see a market viable for their economies of scale. IMHO, if there were a big enough market for a 7" iPad, Apple would already be selling it.

I think they wanted to keep the introduction as focused as possible by introducing a single size and I think Apple made the right decision to go with a 10" format. However, there is still the possibility that demand exists for a smaller format. If Apple sees sufficient interest in the 7" tablets which are to be introduced, they could respond with their own smaller device.

'No' often means 'not today' rather then 'never'.