iOS 4.3 adds new Photo Stream service, iPad FaceTime and PhotoBooth

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    I might sign up for Moble Me if it uploads pictures to my account automatically. It would enable my Mom to see all my pictures as soon as they are uploaded. Right now I am uploading some of my pictures to Flicr, but I only upload a handful and I don't do it that often. If the upload was automatic that would be great. Also it would give me an extra backup in the cloud. I bought a time machine just to make sure all our pictures were backed up, but I'm still a little nervous about losing them.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Why would Apple update all the iPads with three new camera apps when the iPad won't have a camera for six months?

So you don't think Apple will sell any iPad 2's with cameras until late July? That is possible, but I think highly unlikely. I would bet the new iPad is out before the new iPhone and iOS 5.0 which is why they are putting iPad 2 hardware features in iOS 4.3.

The better question is are they really putting a rear facing camera on a tablet? Front facing is a no brainer, but are people really going to use a 9" tablet to take photos and videos?
  • Reply 23 of 48
    I think it makes no sense to "make MobileMe FREE!!!" It is one of several sets of services Apple makes available for their user community, and the simple fact is that people don't value free stuff. They may want it, but they don't actually dig into it for the purpose of getting the most out of it. By charging a totally-minimal fee, they want to get people to value the services and *want* to use them.

Same logic applies to AppleCare and One-To-One: high-end services for cheap bux. None of these are profit-centers, they are buy-in points to Appleworld.

I have little doubt AAPL would provide these for free, but each service-set is a major differentiation from other platforms. They *HAVE* to call attention to them, or they're casting pearls before swine
  • Reply 24 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple should buy Dropbox or copy the way it works (since they already use that method for backups in their TimeMachine sparse bundles).

MobileMe should never be free. I want accountability for products. I want to buy a product, not be the product. Let?s add to the feature set that no one else has yet been able to match instead of making it free because a subset of the MobileMe services are available from various places.

Well-said! 'Course, iDisk is likely as close to an enterprise-strength solution as Apple will get, but they don't *want* to drive developers out of the field by capturing high-end solutions the way other companies have.

Still, it's important to remember that MobileMe is at its best when dealing with multiple users w/ multiple devices. The control I have over calendars (syncing / propagation / subscription) is worth the annual cost all by itself. Add to that the transparent domain hosting, find-my-idevice functionality, and the iDisk, it really IS a no-brainer.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious View Post

Well-said! 'Course, iDisk is likely as close to an enterprise-strength solution as Apple will get, but they don't *want* to drive developers out of the field by capturing high-end solutions the way other companies have.

Still, it's important to remember that MobileMe is at its best when dealing with multiple users w/ multiple devices. The control I have over calendars (syncing / propagation / subscription) is worth the annual cost all by itself. Add to that the transparent domain hosting, find-my-idevice functionality, and the iDisk, it really IS a no-brainer.

MobileMe has domain hosting??
  • Reply 26 of 48
    Yep - check your account settings!
  • Reply 27 of 48
    Quote:

Only if they are all Apple devices. If you want to or have to use a PC part of the time, the value proposition falls off fast.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jcoz View Post

One of the biggest mysteries remains in North Carolina right now. What are they going to do with that facility?

My theory is they're going to offer app developers online services. Right now if you're an app developer and you want to do something involving connectivity or online storage you need your own servers or hosted servers. Apple could offer an expanding set of online services for messaging, syncing and storing data online, etc, exposed through APIs in iOS that any app developer can exploit without having to think about backend development. I think this idea is potentially radical and disruptive because they'd be essentially usurping the normal web paradigm. Apps would instead run on Apple's own online services. They could gradually add other online services like maps, location services, the features in "Find My Friends", social networking, and even search, as platforms app developers can use rather than websites.
  • Reply 29 of 48
    Quote:

Yep - check your account settings!

Interesting. I haven't had an Apple account since back in the .mac days. Guess I'll have to look at it again.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    jcozjcoz Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple should buy Dropbox or copy the way it works (since they already use that method for backups in their TimeMachine sparse bundles).

MobileMe should never be free. I want accountability for products. I want to buy a product, not be the product. Let?s add to the feature set that no one else has yet been able to match instead of making it free because a subset of the MobileMe services are available from various places.

I agree with that, but come with something great, not the (IMO) half baked BS it is now compared to outside solutions.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    Does anyone know if HDR is included in this build? The initial build did not include the HDR camera function, so I reverted.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Agent69 View Post

MobileMe has domain hosting??

It used to, did it go away with online web building? Don't know cause I never used that feature.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    2 cents2 cents Posts: 307member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

It used to, did it go away with online web building? Don't know cause I never used that feature.

Just to be clear, you can host a website on a domain that you own through MobileMe. One domain per MobileMe master account. Simple to do. Just adjust dns settings at your registrar per instructions. It is not a full-function hosting solution (no DB, for example, so you can't host a wordpress install). But it's a nice part of the MobileMe package. Depending on your needs, MobileMe can be a pretty damn good deal. Especially if you get it a discount through amazon or eBay. And you absolutely should. No reason to pay full price.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

My theory is they're going to offer app developers online services. Right now if you're an app developer and you want to do something involving connectivity or online storage you need your own servers or hosted servers. Apple could offer an expanding set of online services for messaging, syncing and storing data online, etc, exposed through APIs in iOS that any app developer can exploit without having to think about backend development. I think this idea is potentially radical and disruptive because they'd be essentially usurping the normal web paradigm. Apps would instead run on Apple's own online services. They could gradually add other online services like maps, location services, the features in "Find My Friends", social networking, and even search, as platforms app developers can use rather than websites.

Now this is an intriguing idea that I hadn't heard of yet. I think it has merit. But I also think there has to be more to it than that, just due to the physical size/scope of the project.

On the other side of the equation, I wish more web/mobile app developers would take into consideration that many people don't actually want to host their personal data, photos, etc. on public servers at all. That's forever baby. I have to think there's a market for someone to write apps that allow you to store/synch your data on your own server, which could be something as simple as your own computer at home running a webDAV or a complementary app that the developer provides. Simple stuff, but I don't see this (granted, perhaps small at this time) market being addressed AT ALL.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

Only if they are all Apple devices. If you want to or have to use a PC part of the time, the value proposition falls off fast.

Spoken like one who hasn't tried it.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    @poke: re: the 'Big NC' - I suspect along similar lines...my personal take is that Apple is setting up a distributive cloud-universe, in which users can *directly* share or not share as much and as little as they like.

In support, I offer MobileMe itself, which I've come to think of as a "cloud starter kit"...'cause it is that; also, I submit efforts such as Ping, Photo Gallery, and Facetime, which are clearly cloud-leveraged and user-centric; and of course, iPhone itself - the essential cloud-hammer!

And WHY would there be such nearly me-too offerings? Well, AAPL likes to compete on open ground, and a cloud that was largely independent of the Facebook/Cell-service axis could do more to bring connectivity rates down AND spur competition than anything we're likely to see otherwise.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The real question remains: when will Mobile Me be free?

Apple should buy Dropbox, make Mobile Me free, and stop pussy-footin' around.

I doubt MobileMe will ever be free but Apple does seem intent on adding value (which could include a lower price). I always question the value of MobileMe when I make my yearly payment for two family packs but, in the end, decide to stick with it because it works reasonably well for my enthused but technology-challenged parents, sister and niece.

Apple still needs to do more. For instance, if, and when, they start charging for iWork.com, it should be included for MobileMe users. Buying Dropbox might not be such a bad idea, either, if only for their IP.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

I think they would do well to offer a version of MobileMe that was free and included e-mail, chat, calendar, contacts, and photo sharing. Make iWork part of MobileMe and tack on iWork.com with purchase of iWork and Find My iPhone with purchase of iOS device. Give total of maybe 10GB shared for services & then tie in iAd somehow. Pretty much like what you are saying, something sort of comparable to Google Apps.

While I generally agree with you, I don't think iWork.com should become part of MobileMe; this will allow Apple to sell it as a separate serve for small businesses who might not want MobileMe services. I do agree that a MobileMe subscription should include iWork.com.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

Definitely some interesting ideas here. I think you might be on to something.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

So you don't think Apple will sell any iPad 2's with cameras until late July? That is possible, but I think highly unlikely. I would bet the new iPad is out before the new iPhone and iOS 5.0 which is why they are putting iPad 2 hardware features in iOS 4.3.

The better question is are they really putting a rear facing camera on a tablet? Front facing is a no brainer, but are people really going to use a 9" tablet to take photos and videos?

And if you only have a rear facing camera, what is the difference between "camera" app and the photo booth app?

Btw: all iPhones will be given away for free this year - truth! With the new automatic cloud sync the new data plans START at 2 GB and go up from there. Don't worry if you go over, your credit card will automatically be billed for a reload.