Apple seeds first beta of Mac OS X 10.6.7 to developers

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday issued the first beta of Mac OS X 10.6.7, the next security and maintenance update for its Snow Leopard operating system, to developers for testing.

The first beta is dubbed Build 10J842 is a 338.6MB download in its delta form. People familiar with the first beta said that its documentation notes there are no known issues with the software.

Developers have reportedly been asked to focus on AirPort, Bonjour, SMB file sharing, and graphics drivers.

The first beta arrived just weeks after Apple released Mac OS X 10.6.6 for Snow Leopard. That update brought the Mac App Store, a new digital download destination to obtain software for the Mac platform.

While it is unknown what new features or fixes might come in Mac OS X 10.6.7, the Mac App Store will likely prove to be the last major feature added to Snow Leopard. Apple has already begun to hype Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, its next major operating system release. Lion will bring features from iOS, including a home screen, full-screen applications and new multi-touch gestures, to the Mac platform when it debuts this summer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Developers have reportedly been asked to focus on SMB file sharing,

Something that has never worked for me over wi-fi. It copies the files I send, then deletes a random amount of what I sent.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I'm hoping performance is addressed a bit. I get far to many beach balls even when running lightly loaded.

Other than that I'm a huge fan of Snow Leopard. Works great without all of the bugs in Leopard.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Any new GPU family plists?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I get far to many beach balls even when running lightly loaded.

Ditto. Mostly in Safari.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... and graphics drivers.

Yes yes yes

The 5870 card has been a huge dissapointment since I got my new Mac Pro in september. I'm crossing my fingers here...
  • Reply 6 of 9
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Something that has never worked for me over wi-fi. It copies the files I send, then deletes a random amount of what I sent.

Use Dropbox. There is a LAN Sync option, at least in v1.0.10

Quote:

Ditto. Mostly in Safari.

Safari’s visual history needs to be faster. It’s the only aspect that takes roo long to load.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Ditto. Mostly in Safari.

Same here. After 10.6.6 Safari is getting slower but after removing Flash Safari got a lot faster and no ore peach balls... surprise!!!!!!
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Use Dropbox. There is a LAN Sync option, at least in v1.0.10.

That's my problem. I shouldn't have to do that when functionality is built in.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    The future of the <BillGatesVoice>Macintosh</BillGatesVoice> is clear. The <BillGatesVoice>Macintosh</BillGatesVoice> will get simpler and simpler until it is kind of like a super-powerful iPad.