Gabrielle Giffords's recovery noted in terms of iPad use

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
US Representative Gabrielle Giffords, recovering from a serious bullet wound to the head, was reported to be able stand without assistance and "is using an iPad" her doctors said today.

The report, published by Reuters and described by John Gruber as "sounds like an Onion headline, but it's true," highlights just how deeply Apple's less than a year old iPad has infected the media, now serving as a common measure of cognitive function.

Giffords was shot in the head January 8 while speaking with constituents at a gathering held next to a supermarket in Tucson, Arizona. A gunman wounded 13 others and killed six, including a federal judge and a 9 year old girl who had attended to learn more about politics.

While unable to speak because of a tracheostomy and the breathing tube inserted though her neck, the 40 year old representative has made remarkable progress, given the severity of her injury, which required the removal a portion of her skull.

Dr. Michael Lemole told reporters, "she is beginning to stand with assistance, she is scrolling through an iPad -- these are all fantastic advances for her. They do show higher cognitive function. But I do want to caution that she has a long road ahead of her."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 67
    In other news, Al Roker used an iPad on the Today Show this morning! That definitely needs its own article, Daniel.

I'm happy for her recovery like everybody else, but does this need an AppleInsider article? It's a bit distasteful to turn it into an Apple plug.
  • Reply 2 of 67
    You go, Gabby. We r rooting for you!
  • Reply 3 of 67
    /cheers and best wishes.
  • Reply 4 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HahaHaha321 View Post

In other news, Al Roker used an iPad on the Today Show this morning! That definitely needs its own article, Daniel.

I'm happy for her recovery like everybody else, but does this need an AppleInsider article? It's a bit distasteful to turn it into an Apple plug.

Do you know what website you're on right now? Are you new here? Everything Apple is reported here. Even feel good stories that involves any Apple product.
  • Reply 5 of 67
    It's good to hear that she is recovering quickly!
  • Reply 6 of 67
    801801 Posts: 271member
    Is there an assisted communications app for the Ipad yet? I looked for one and it was very expensive without much depth. I really think their would be a market for one in hospitals and such. You know, a yes/no/it hurts here/I am thirsty? etc etc...
  • Reply 7 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 801 View Post

Is there an assisted communications app for the Ipad yet? I looked for one and it was very expensive without much depth. I really think their would be a market for one in hospitals and such. You know, a yes/no/it hurts here/I am thirsty? etc etc...

You're probably thinking of Proloquo2go. You might think that $190 is expensive but in the land of assisted communications, the cost of it and an iOS device is dirt cheap. It's currently the best program out there on any platform and is easily customizable for the person's needs.
  • Reply 8 of 67
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,276member
    One of the really grat things about apple products is their accessibility, and i see this as a great example of that.
  • Reply 9 of 67
    Praise Apple!
  • Reply 10 of 67
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

I don't think it's distasteful. It says much to the simplicity of using iOS in knowing that folks suffering such severe brain trauma can use it.

I can certainly understand your position, however I think it's misplaced.
  • Reply 11 of 67
    If anything would help me with my recovery it would be an Apple iPad, especially an iPad 2G!
  • Reply 12 of 67
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    That sounds like an Apple Ad.
  • Reply 13 of 67
    I'm pleased this lady is getting better but God, putting this as an article here is plumbing new depths of fanboyism.
  • Reply 14 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I'm pleased this lady is getting better but God, putting this as an article here is plumbing new depths of fanboyism.

It would have been ordinary if she put on a LA Laker's jersey instead?

Fanboy?

Is there anything evil in yelling that you Love yr wife, yr car, yr football team, or yeah yr apple product?

It is far weird to love a thing you cannot hold or screw!

Like a football team.
  • Reply 15 of 67
    I heard this on NPR while driving to work this morning and wondered if the news would circulate. This is definitely a testament to the ease of use of the iOS.

I wish the congresswoman a speedy recovery and my heart goes out to all the other victims' families.
  • Reply 16 of 67
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I suspect God didn't put it in actually.
  • Reply 17 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I suspect God didn't put it in actually.

Touche!

I like your long on Apple so biased comment by the way - I'd love to see CNBC doing the same!
  • Reply 18 of 67
    Quote:

Wow.

I (sort of) feel badly for the people around you, what with that cynicism seeping from every pore.
  • Reply 19 of 67
    Quote:

Your new here huh........Mr. HAHA man.
  • Reply 20 of 67
    Daniel, my knee-jerk reaction:

All things considered, this seems to me like a poor time to make your point. The post in context reads more like a product placement ad in the lone ray of light emanating from the tragedy than what otherwise is a good point and deserved article detailing iPad's newfound lexicon in everyday speech -- examples of which would include Dr. Lemole's iPad reference.