Verizon posts first iPhone 4 ad without ever showing phone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Verizon has posted its first iPhone 4 advertisement to YouTube, and readers are reporting seeing the new ad air in primetime TV broadcasts.

The new spot depicts a series of clocks ticking, building anticipation for what is revealed to be the simple text of "iPhone 4," accompanied by an Apple logo, followed by the Verizon logo in red, "it begins," "2.10.11," and a final slide featuring the carrier's "rule the air" logo.

Nowhere in the brief spot is the iPhone 4 actually ever pictured, nor are any of its features described. The only Apple product actually shown is a brief clip of a Magic Mouse and Apple keyboard portrayed next to an anxious hand with tapping fingers.

Verizon doesn't have to depict the phone or its features, because over the past three years the iPhone has become what is perhaps the best known new brand in consumer electronics on earth. All the carrier needs to do is suggest that everyone wants to get it on Verizon.

Conspicuously, however, a narrator indicates that Verizon's own customers are waiting for the iPhone, rather than hinting that the message is directed toward AT&T subscribers hoping to switch.

"To our millions of customers who never stopped believing this day would come, thank you," the voice says, making it sound as if Verizon expects more defection among its own smartphone users than switchers from AT&T.

Apple's original ads for iPhone primarily focused on its unique features, apart from the teaser aired in conjunction with the Oscars in 2007, which depicted a variety of movie clips of famous characters answering the phone. That spot at least depicted the then-new iPhone however.

Focused on functionality

Subsequent ads demonstrated how the new iPhone worked, in a series of spots that focused entirely on a closeup of a phone being manipulated by touch to place calls, look up information and browse the web.

With the release of iPhone 2.0 and the App Store, Apple next focused on apps in a series of ads that made the phrase "there's an app for that" famous.

Apple's ads for iPhone 4 focused on its new FaceTime feature, depicting families and friends animatedly engaging in video calls to the Louis Armstrong song "When You're Smiling."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    I actually think this is a pretty good commercial. People have seen countless Apple commercials showing off the iPhone's capabilities so there is no need to demonstrate those. I wouldn't be surprised to see a new round of carrier-agnostic iPhone commercials from Apple in the coming weeks. This commercial is really about all those Verizon customers who have long awaited the iPhone.
  • Reply 2 of 42
    Everyone knows what the iPhone is. Hell even this commercial is overdone. All verizon had to do is say "we have the iPhone". The brand is that strong and the grasp on mindshare is staggering.
  • Reply 3 of 42
    It would not surprise me if this ad was produced by Apple's advertising agency and the ad space paid by Apple.

It may have been sitting on the shelf for months.
  • Reply 4 of 42
    Apple's first commercial didn't show it, either. Minus the grievous lack of other Apple products, it wasn't a bad commercial.

Yes, I saw the aluminum keyboard and Magic Mouse...
  • Reply 5 of 42
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by artman1033 View Post

It would not surprise me if this ad was produced by Apple's advertising agency and the ad space paid by Apple.

It may have been sitting on the shelf for months.

You got that almost right:

Quote:

It would not surprise me if this ad was produced by Apple's advertising agency and the ad space paid by Verizon.

• Reply 6 of 42
    I think this ad has been recorded for some time and the people in it don't know what they are waiting for... lol ...to keep the secret
  • Reply 7 of 42
    funny going back memory lane...and even funnier thinking now just how ridiculously crippled the iphone was on 1.0...a phone, an ipod and a web browser...lol 2007 feels like a lifetime ago now.
  • Reply 8 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

I actually think this is a pretty good commercial. People have seen countless Apple commercials showing off the iPhone's capabilities so there is no need to demonstrate those. I wouldn't be surprised to see a new round of carrier-agnostic iPhone commercials from Apple in the coming weeks. This commercial is really about all those Verizon customers who have long awaited the iPhone.

Agreed. It plainly said "thank you" (for not leaving Verizon for AT&T in the last four years). An alternate interpretation is "thank you for putting up with our lack of iPhone for the last four years."
  • Reply 9 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Agreed. It plainly said "thank you" (for not leaving Verizon for AT&T in the last four years). An alternate interpretation is "thank you for putting up with our lack of iPhone for the last four years."

If you look at the rollout, Verizon customers are able to pre-order a week ahead of everyone else. Verizon knows its got a hit on its hand just from its existing customer base.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LouisTheXIV View Post

funny going back memory lane...and even funnier thinking now just how ridiculously crippled the iphone was on 1.0...a phone, an ipod and a web browser...lol 2007 feels like a lifetime ago now.

Heeey? there were 11 other apps, too.
  • Reply 11 of 42
    the faithful are waiting on apple iphone 4 new versions appear. a craze for a growing apples
  • Reply 12 of 42
    blursdblursd Posts: 123member
    All this from a wireless company that has pretty much done everything it could do to convince it's customers the iPhone was a bad product and they shouldn't want it ... up until a couple weeks ago.

Now they're acting like it's Jesus come down from Galilee ...

p.s. I do understand competitive markets and advertising strategies, but I think it's worth recognizing the rather salient change in Verizon's public attitude towards the iPhone.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I wonder how much of an advertising blitz in general Verizon is going to put behind the iPhone. AT&T doesn't seem very interested in pushing specific phones, but Verizon has been running Android ads like a company possessed. There's going to be a fair amount of cognitive dissonance if "Android is here to shoot the gay off the iPhone with its laser gun" Verizon suddenly starts pumping out "actually, come to think of it, the iPhone totally rulest" ads and putting them everywhere.
  • Reply 14 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I wonder how much of an advertising blitz in general Verizon is going to put behind the iPhone. AT&T doesn't seem very interested in pushing specific phones, but Verizon has been running Android ads like a company possessed. There's going to be a fair amount of cognitive dissonance if "Android is here to shoot the gay off the iPhone with its laser gun" Verizon suddenly starts pumping out "actually, come to think of it, the iPhone totally rulest" ads and putting them everywhere.

Money tends to do that....
  • Reply 15 of 42
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Money tends to do that....

True, but it doesn't magically erase everyone's memory. I can't really remember a time when a heavy advertising blitz designed to convince consumers that product A was inferior to product B was instantly replaced with an advertising blitz from the same vendor saying the opposite.

Although I guess the explicitly iPhone bashing ads were earlier on, so maybe it's been long enough where Verizon can just make wild claims for each platform without referencing the other.

I wonder if this means the iPhone is presently to find itself pitched as surrogate dick, since that seems to be pretty much what Verizon phones advertising is about?
  • Reply 16 of 42
    It gave an impression that the ad targeted their existing customers. That is kind of rare for an advertisement. I especially like the fact that they don't bash their competitors. I hate that. Hopefully the stupid my-network-is-better-then-yours-when-you-look-at-these-specific-specs battles will end. Great ad. Definitely a marketing genius behind this.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    Oh no! The videos showed up in the WebM format!

Well, all I've seen so far on TV is ipad commercials.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Heeey? there were 11 other apps, too.

The iphone 4 finally silenced a lot of user complaints/requests: some sort of flash, video recording (was that 3GS), high res screen, etc.

With it came in a lot of sales.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Makes a bit of a change from this, I suppose.

• Reply 20 of 42
    Quote:

Steve had me at . The rest is icing on the cake.