• Reply 21 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I c wht u did thr (fixed it for you).

I guess you didn't get the joke
  • Reply 22 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gee4orce View Post

"you won?t be seeing XBMC in the app-store any time soon, since it directly competes with Apple products"

Translation: we have no idea if Apple will accept this for the App Store, because we haven't even tried, but we're assuming not because we have an axe to grind.

More like "As L33t Hackz0rs who don't believe in paying or charging for software, our income depends on selling our beard hair and whatever we can find in our mom's basement, so we can't afford the Apple developer licence fees needed to submit it to the app store."
  • Reply 23 of 40
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    Might justify buying a TV.

I need something that plays DivXs and other filetypes while at the same time maintaing support for everything I've bought from iTunes. Some of the other set top solutions out there handle the former but not the later. The out of the box Apple TV can only play a third of my stuff . . .

Great news in my opinion. Now I don't need a couch in my office to watch movies on my Mac's LCD
  • Reply 24 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

the beta version of XBMC is able to play 1080p video using the stock A4 of the new box, something Apple itself doesn't support in its own software.

Hey, ahh, the Apple TV does already decode 1080p home movies. If you export from iMovie in their 1080p format it streams and plays fine from the AppleTV.

I presume, however, that it's down-scaled to 720p - even if it's then output at 1080i...?
  • Reply 25 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The group says that "no longer is your AppleTV2 chained to iTunes."

These hackers should be put in jail as soon as possible. That is just plain stealing.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    From the video - "Much more impressive than Apple's device can do". Huh? This is Apple's device you engadget numpty.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    Why all the XBMC hate? It supports more codecs, plug-ins (Hulu anyone?), and skips iTunes for movie playback.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    I remember using XBMC back in the Xbox mod days. Cool to see they're expanding they're expanding it's base, since I didn't bother to mod my 360 and haven't used my original Xbox in quite awhile.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    XBMC is going to be great for people with multiple file codecs and containers but the main reason to use it were its metadata auto-seek features.

But imo its much easier to used .m4v files that can actually hold metadata information from within the file and just drag it into itunes. XBMC store is metadata in separate files. With .m4v files, all you need to do is populate the metadata using tools like identify (mac OS-X) and its done once and for all has the data will follow the file wherever you copy it.

On the other hand, if you have a library of many file formats and codecs then XBMC is for you. You could always convert everything to .m4v files using handbrake but it may be too time consuming for lots of folks. Imo its worth it for people manipulating there own dvd/BR collection but bittorrent downloaders would probably want to be able to play there files directly with no conversion.

The AppleTV2 is now the cheapest HTPC in the world.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    Not that it really matters, but please note that XBMC is only decoding 1080p files, and outputting them at 720p, not outputting 1080p.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gee4orce View Post

Translation: we have no idea if Apple will accept this for the App Store, because we haven't even tried, but we're assuming not because we have an axe to grind.

Perhaps they haven't tried because there is no App Store (yet) for the AppleTV? Not sure if there's as much of a market for XBMC on iPad... I downloaded VLC for my iPhone and never really found a use for it (even though it's the only media player I use on my Mac and Linux machines).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gromit View Post

Sooner have a port of Boxee like my First Gen AppleTV.

As soon as Boxee is ported, I'll dump my first-gen AppleTV. I love it to death but had to supplement it with a WD HD Live for >480p content. It does the trick, but the interface sucks, plus I'd love to eliminate the extra device and add Netflix streaming (I bought my WD before the plus came out... sigh). I have XBMC on my current TV but never really got on with its UI the way I have with Boxee. Plus if Boxee is ported, we might be able to get Hulu too (or has a Hulu plugin made for XBMC?).
  • Reply 32 of 40
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    The XMBC website isn't that clear on what the program actually does.

But I am assuming that it will stream media from a shared drive so you don't need an itunes server running.

Is that right?
  • Reply 33 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

The XMBC website isn't that clear on what the program actually does.

But I am assuming that it will stream media from a shared drive so you don't need an itunes server running.

Is that right?

Amongst other things, yes.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SomeCallMe...Tim View Post

These hackers should be put in jail as soon as possible. That is just plain stealing.

They are actually jail-breakers, so putting them in jail would not be very effective.

Federal courts have rulled jail-breaking your personal hardware is not breaking the law. These folks are just hastening the inevitable for the iOS driven AppleTV2. You should be happy, jail-breaking ultimately led Apple to deploy the App store for the iPhone wouldn't you welcome the same thing for AppleTV?
  • Reply 35 of 40
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    I have a 42" tv (not huge) and the difference between 720p and 1080p is clearly visible.

You're simply echoing what others are shouting, but start to actually compare on your couch and there is a big difference.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

Aside from 1080p, what am I seeing here that the Apple TV doesn't already do? All that fussing about just to avoid iTunes?

Also, I love high-quality video. I love HD video. But there are two reasons why 1080p is becoming a bit of a bugbear of mine:

1) Nobody has a screen at home big enough to show up the difference in resolution over 720p. It would have to be a huge display to deliver any kind of meaningful improvement yet people crave it.

2) Compression. In so many instances a 1080p video has been so compressed out of necessity that any advantage in fidelity its increased resolution may once have had is just lost. YouTube is a prime example. There is just no point using the 1080p stream over the 720p stream.

I was blown away by DVDs back when they were new but it wasn't the modest increase in resolution over VHS that made them better, it was the high data rate quality of the digital playback. Play a DVD on a 50"screen it still looks great. 720p makes the same film really pop - it's worth it - but 1080p is just unnecessary in the home.

I suspect 1080p was always intended to be a cinema screen format where it might actually be useful.

• Reply 36 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

A DVD does not look "great" on a 50" screen, it is acceptable, but no where near great. And if you are watching an 1080p Apple trailer, or a youtube video on your TV maybe that's why you can't see a difference between 1080p and 720p, watch a 1080p video from a decent source and you will notice a big difference.

My experience as well.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titan10 View Post

There already exist a porting of the XBMC to Apple platforms.

Is is called Plex.

Titan10

I was thinking the same thing. they are built on the same platform
  • Reply 38 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by funkdis View Post

In for this.

Found on http://xbmc.org/theuni/2011/01/20/yo...-ipad-iphone4/

No external drives, HDD or DVD. I believe the ATV 2 USB operates in ?device? mode or client mode only
  • Reply 39 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tazinlwfl View Post

I see what you did ther

I see what you did there to
  • Reply 40 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SomeCallMe...Tim View Post

And in what way, exactly, are they stealing, pray tell?