Apple doubles board suppliers for iPad 2 ahead of April launch - report

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    tjstjs Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

what the heck is an "any-layer" board? Even the wiki hasn't heard of it.

I believe the term should be "many-layer (or multi-layer) board".

From Wikipedia: "Some PCBs have trace layers inside the PCB and are called multi-layer PCBs. These are formed by bonding together separately etched thin boards."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Printed...ard#Lamination
  • Reply 22 of 34
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjs View Post

I believe the term should be "many-layer (or multi-layer) board".

From Wikipedia: "Some PCBs have trace layers inside the PCB and are called multi-layer PCBs. These are formed by bonding together separately etched thin boards."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Printed...ard#Lamination

This is beyond my field of knowledge, but I assumed that the iPhone 4 was using an advanced form of multi-layer PCB in order to get so many chips so close together on both sides of the board. How else do you create that board without sandwiches boards together?
  • Reply 23 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The greatest trick the devil ever played was convincing the people he was actually giving product away from free when the people were the actual product.

Roughly, what the devil said to Eve was "If you want to spice up life here in the garden, Get an Apple."
  • Reply 24 of 34
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SomeCallMe...Tim View Post

Seemingly, that is not enough to inspire Mac sales. Altho they have been increasing, the ecosystem pales in comparison to the popular choice, despite the mastery you posit.

Currently, the iPad has a rich ecosystem, especially because it runs Apple's preexisting phone apps. But I would expect that the Android ecosystem will soon overtake that of the iPad, and that the mastery you cite will be no more important to consumers WRT the iPad than it is to consumers WRT the Mac.

But predictions of the future are fraught with uncertainties. I have little confidence in any particular scenario - things change too fast. If Apple releases a HD iPad that plays flash videos, for example, all bets are off.

Flash, my arse. All they need to do is reduce the price point on the entry level iPad.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    Apple having such volume of flash and displays make it impossible for a competitor to build a comparable device at the same price point. That alone will ensure Apple remains dominant.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

The tablet market is going to evolve into much more than just one more device. They will get more power and functionality until they start making a serious dent in laptop and PC sales. There is no way Apple will dominate the market at the same level and for as long as they have the iPod market. Google will get a very competitive OS into the market, even if it takes them a few tries. Microsoft has the resorces to get a big chunck as well, but I am not convinced they have the management team to pull it off. At any rate, I think Apple will have a bigger share than they have historically had in the PC market, but no one will end up with over 80% to themselves.

LMFAO. What pure speculation, fueled by zero fact, and no knowledge of history whatsoever.

Gotta love it when people make up every single word of a post, and pass it off as a prediction. Need some more ventilation in that basement, I think.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SomeCallMe...Tim View Post

Seemingly, that is not enough to inspire Mac sales. Altho they have been increasing, the ecosystem pales in comparison to the popular choice, despite the mastery you posit.

Currently, the iPad has a rich ecosystem, especially because it runs Apple's preexisting phone apps. But I would expect that the Android ecosystem will soon overtake that of the iPad, and that the mastery you cite will be no more important to consumers WRT the iPad than it is to consumers WRT the Mac.

But predictions of the future are fraught with uncertainties. I have little confidence in any particular scenario - things change too fast. If Apple releases a HD iPad that plays flash videos, for example, all bets are off.

There is no uncertainty in App market, tablet market, or smartphone market.

Android is a whisper in the wind, and even the vaguest suggestion that the "Android ecosystem" (whatever that's supposed to be) will overtake iOS in any way, is so embarrassingly absurd (flat out wrong), that I can't ever take another word from you seriously.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

2) Android for tablets is still in a beta stage. Give it 2-5 years. If not Android, there will be others.

How unimaginably absurd. 2 - 5 years? What about next month? What about where Apple will be in 2 - 5 years?

Please stop making such an effort to prove that you have positively no idea what you're talking about.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

LMFAO. What pure speculation, fueled by zero fact, and no knowledge of history whatsoever.

Gotta love it when people make up every single word of a post, and pass it off as a prediction. Need some more ventilation in that basement, I think.

"A prediction or forecast is a statement about the way things will happen in the future, often but not always based on experience or knowledge."

So what part of this indicates you HAVE to have real facts to backup your prediction?
  • Reply 30 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jcoz View Post

They could end up with a much larger market share in computers in 10 years as a result.

Overtake windows? No, of course not, barring some unforeseen cataclysmic event, but several times the market share they've had historically?

Easily.

I think Apple's attitude is, who needs market share when you're rolling in dough?
  • Reply 31 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

I think Apple's attitude is, who needs market share when you're rolling in dough?

they care about market share. if you "roll in dough" at the expense of market share eventually you run out of dough.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

they care about market share. if you "roll in dough" at the expense of market share eventually you run out of dough.

Obviously, they want more than zero market share, but considering they're making record profits year over year, are currently sitting on more than $50 billion in cash, and continuing to innovate/grow/expand, they're not shedding any tears at having "only" 10% PC market share. Sure, an increase in PC market share would be nice, but they're not gonna join the rest of the industry's "race to the bottom" to get it. That was my point.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

Obviously, they want more than zero market share, but considering they're making record profits year over year, are currently sitting on more than $50 billion in cash, and continuing to innovate/grow/expand, they're not shedding any tears at having "only" 10% PC market share. Sure, an increase in PC market share would be nice, but they're not gonna join the rest of the industry's "race to the bottom" to get it. That was my point.

Well I am not so sure. Apple's iPod strategy - which "races to the bottom" on one model of the iPod touch, and defends the even lower entry levels with the Nano but maintains margins everywhere else - is the way forward if they can replicate that model in the tablet space.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    It might not stay that way, but to become competitive Google would have to have a change of heart as to their mission with Android.

However just because Android is a failure, that does not meanthat other platforms could give iPad a run for it's money. I still believe RIMs Playbook could be successful if RIM can sheppards the infrastructure around the tablet.

As to Apples doubling of it supplier base that may be a very wise thing to do if a good portion of the rumors come true. If the SoC is overhauled to the extent that rumors imPly then I'd buy. That even if the resolution stays the same. Performance is iPads biggest problem and is the one thing that leaves them open to agressive competition.

Realistically the iPad needs a dual core processor and 1GB of RAM. That would open up the platform to a whole bunch of new and innovative apps that can't run on the iPad now. I'm really hopeful that the new SoC is built on a 32nm or smaller process so that battery life remains the same.

Given that sort of upgrade iPad 2 would sell like hotcakes. Thus the need for more suppliers. Apple might not be ready for the demand even with this expansion.