iOS 4.3 adds new Photo Stream service, iPad FaceTime and PhotoBooth

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IHateRegistering View Post

MobileMe should be free. And we already pay for it. That's part of the huge mark-up we pay for buying Apple. The slight dip in profits would sure benefit the users, and give us a huge advantage over the competition.

Explain that to me. It should be free because you want it to be free? You already pay for it, but since you aren?t required to pay for it then why do you? And why should a company take less profits to ?benefit users?? They aren?t altruistic. They sell for the sole purpose of making money.
  • Reply 42 of 48
    Quote:

Just like iLife, MobileMe should be included in the price of a Mac. It should be the benefit of a Mac (and iOS device). We are already paying more than enough for these machines.

Not sure why most folks on this board get wood when they see Apple make a grossly immense profit ($2billion this quarter?). Only a very small percentage of users are stockholders. The rest of us are simply paying much more than we should, and Apple is hoarding billions of our dollars in their bank account.

Should? Because you want something for free it should be given to you? Again, explain to us why Apple should be required to give away something it wants to sell.

Also, explain why you word the purchase of Apple products as some requirement that precludes your ability to make a choice in the matter.

From my perch in reality I see you have a choice in what to buy. If you think Apple?s product cost too much for the value they offer you then there hundreds if not thousands of other products to choose from. If those don?t suit your needs then and you feel there is a hole in the market then this glorious free market allows those with desire, aptitude and vision to fill that void.
  • Reply 43 of 48
    Quote:

That sounds wonderful and would make an A+ lecture in Economics 101.

I think a course in economics would do you some good. You should look into that.

Quote:

I'll just buy a PC (my single other choice) and transfer all my Mac, iOS, and protected iTunes content right over. Incompatible? Oh crap this just got alot more expensive and involved than it sounds. This isn't as easy as buying brand X car over brand Y. Those both drive on the same roads and can be parked in the same garage. Mac, Windows, Android, etc do not always follow the same rules as buying a Kenmore dryer over a Maytag.

So you choose to use Mac OS X even though the OS isn?t the most common OS and that it?s not licensed by another company. STOP BLAMING OTHERS FOR YOUR SHORTCOMINGS!

Quote:

Making a profit is important and expected. Making a disgustingly huge profit highlights the dark nature of capitalism (yes there is one). When a company makes so much profit they don't even know what to do with it (Apple), it is time to give something back to society/your highly loyal customers.

Seriously, take a fraking economics course. Learn how the adult world works. If an item is priced too high for it?s value then it won?t sell well. Your sidea that including the $60/year MobileMe will somehow make a PC with average retail price of $1,400 all better is ridiculous. If you don?t think Macs are worth what you get for them THEN DON?T FRAKING BUY THEM. If you really want the services of MobileMe without paying for them THEN USE THE PLETHORA OF FREE AD-SUPPORTED SERVICES. I don?t care what you do, so long as you quit whining about it.

Quote:

I take it Apple should stop including iLife with their Macs for free, too. Potential for some profit there... more cash to part us with and put in the bank.

They don?t include iLife for free. They include it as a way to HELP SELL MORE MACS. It?s factored into the price. What?s not included is any new editions of iLife that come out that are compatible with the version of Mac OS X your Mac can run, save for those that purchased a Mac in the last couple weeks.
  • Reply 44 of 48
    Quote:

How about bringing "The Cloud" to every Apple user by shipping MobileMe "free" on every device? Would that not help sell more Macs?.

Maybe, but that?s not your call to make. It?s also not what you originally stated, which was that they should do it to limit their profit because they are making way too much, IYO.
  • Reply 45 of 48
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:

My original post was that Apple should give MobileMe away for free, and it would not impact their finances any appreciable amount. They should give away alot more, IMO.

As a shareholder, I completely disagree with you. Yes, I would like that mountain of cash to be made more productive but giving things away is not productive. You see, some small smidgeon of that cash pile indirectly belongs to me but not to someone who just so happens to purchase an Apple product.
  • Reply 46 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

Apple could offer an expanding set of online services for messaging, syncing and storing data online, etc, exposed through APIs in iOS that any app developer can exploit without having to think about backend development. I think this idea is potentially radical and disruptive because they'd be essentially usurping the normal web paradigm.

You mean like Amazon Web Services, the Google App Engine and Windows Azure?

That sounds like a great idea! They could make it so you could purchase database time, raw storage, service time or full blown appliances. It would also be great if you only paid for what you used! You could start off really small and have the back end automatically scale with your user base.

Sorry, I know I'm being a smart ass but I'm just joking with you

My point is that it's already happening and this is no doubt the way development will move into the future. I actually do think it would be a great idea for Apple to offer something like this specially designed for iOS developers.

It's not going to be radical or disruptive though, not unless they totally undercut the others on pricing.
  • Reply 47 of 48
    Is the Always Show Boomarks Bar option under Settings => Safari in iOS 4.3b2 for iPad a new feature or one that I foolishly missed? If the latter, how long has it been around?