Apple's Tim Cook profiled as "most powerful gay man in Silicon Valley"

Comments

• Reply 281 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Which ones... I did a search and all I found were links to this or the valleywag article/

Cult of Mac, Mac Daily News, Forbes (not tech, but...), iPod Daily News, Macblogz, but none of the big sites.
  • Reply 282 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Maybe Eric and Tim can be ?dual-core? co-CEO ?partners?.

I realize you are trying to be funny and engage in world-play in your past few posts, but it's not resonating.
  • Reply 283 of 335
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I realize you are trying to be funny and engage in world-play in your past few posts, but it's not resonating.

I’m certainly trying to lighten the thread. I don’t mind if it’s not resonating as funny, so long as you don’t think it’s resonating as bigoted or homophobic.
  • Reply 284 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Cult of Mac, Mac Daily News, Forbes (not tech, but...), iPod Daily News, Macblogz, but none of the big sites.

Mmm...

Cult of Mac and Mablogz linked to the AI article.

Mac daily news and iPod daily news (same parent) linked to the valleywag article.

So, if this is a smear effort, an "in-your-face" or whatever -- it seams to have had little effect.

This will be my last post, in hopes that the gossip gets the additional attention it deserves.
  • Reply 285 of 335
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I don't think Mstone knows what he means... all one has to ask is, "how sensational is it for one gay man to be with another gay man?". It aint news but for some reason or other Mstone thinks it's news and it will make the stock drop. What Mstone doesn't get is that it doesn't matter unless Cook is caught in bed with a 12 year old (or a farm animal)... that's news because both acts are illegal.

Lover??!! Can Tim not date?! Can he not have a life?!

What fuckin' century is this guy from??!!

Dude, if I may call you that, you are just like all my other gay friends. You are an emotional basket case. You don't even read my posts, you have just assumed that I am anti gay and you've got your panties in a bunch over it. You know, I'm actually on your side. I just think it could hurt the stock, why, because I live in reality. You apparently live in fantasy land.
  • Reply 286 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Dude, if I may call you that, you are just like all my other gay friends. You are an emotional basket case. You don't even read my posts, you have just assumed that I am anti gay and you've got your panties in a bunch over it. You know, I'm actually on your side. I just think it could hurt the stock, why, because I live in reality. You apparently live in fantasy land.

At least I can read... asshole (which is fitting for this thread).

I called you anti gay?? You really are a nit wit.
  • Reply 287 of 335
    island hermit, cross the line there. I?d edit your post. mstone, you went to the line and pushed island hermit over it. Both of you cool it. Don?t make me turn this internet around!
  • Reply 288 of 335
    Quote:

island hermit, cross the line there. I?d edit your post. mstone, you went to the line and pushed island hermit over it. Both of you cool it. Don?t make me turn this internet around!

I really don't give a shit... honest.
  • Reply 289 of 335
    Quote:

Hurt the stock? Great! Buy low, sell high, after the hysteria* recedes.

Folks, it's 2011. People who want to profit off of Apple couldn't give a rat's ass if Cook is gay or black or Martian. He makes them lots and lots of money!

This is almost as big as the repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell. This is a milestone in gay acceptance.

And those guys here protesting the loudest about how "offensive" this story is? Closet cases.

They're not upset that Cook was outed (although, like most single 50-somethings, hardly a surprise). No, they're upset that they could be outed next. They're upset at how easily people can figure out if you're gay or not, even if you don't declare it out loud. Sends fear into their hearts. That's why they're so animated.

Me? I'm out and proud.

This is good news for gays, good news for America. Good news for human rights.

*--that's a joke of course. Ther is no hysteria. It's gossip, but nothing major will come out of it.
  • Reply 290 of 335
    Quote:

I?m certainly trying to lighten the thread. I don?t mind if it?s not resonating as funny, so long as you don?t think it?s resonating as bigoted or homophobic.

I think it's funny, got no problem with some humor at this stage.... What is ironic is the google ad I just saw at the bottom of the page. It was for e-harmony "Meet gay men in your area" - coincidence?? lmao
  • Reply 291 of 335
    He's gay? That's interesting.

Wait, no it isn't.
  • Reply 292 of 335
    Quote:

island hermit, cross the line there. I’d edit your post. mstone, you went to the line and pushed island hermit over it. Both of you cool it. Don’t make me turn this internet around!

You are kidding right? Clearly he has the emotional fortitude of a little puppy. My rebuke of his outbursts are really about as kid gloves as I get. I understand if someone is gay, this is an emotional issue for them, but I'm not gay so it is all about what makes sense from a logical point of view.

I'm not anti gay, anti Cook or anti Apple. All I emphasized was that it would be better in my opinion for Cook to acknowledge his sexual preference being either gay, straight or whatever and get it out in the open to remove any negative effect on the stock market. If people have a problem with that philosophy then they probably have other more urgent issues that they need to attend to rather than arguing in a forum and calling other people vulgar names. I'm not the one losing my cool here. Far from it in my opinion. I actually like gay people very much, as long as they are rational. In this case IH is not.
  • Reply 293 of 335
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

You are kidding right? Clearly he has the emotional fortitude of a little puppy. My rebuke of his outbursts are really about as kid gloves as I get. I understand if someone is gay, this is an emotional issue for them, but I'm not gay so it is all about what makes sense from a logical point of view.

I'm not anti gay, anti Cook or anti Apple. All I emphasized was that it would be better in my opinion for Cook to acknowledge his sexual preference being either gay, straight or whatever and get it out in the open to remove any negative effect on the stock market. If people have a problem with that philosophy then they probably have other more urgent issues that they need to attend to rather than arguing in a forum and calling other people vulgar names. I'm not the one losing my cool here. Far from it in my opinion. I actually like gay people very much, as long as they are rational. In this case IH is not.

Perfectly understandable. Straight people tend to be insufferable pricks, as long as they keep that in check I have no problem with them.
  • Reply 294 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

insufferable pricks,

Good one. Glad we understand one another. I have always thought you were one of the more rational posters on this forum. Usually your comments are well reasoned and carefully worded. I apologize if any of mine have offended you.
  • Reply 295 of 335
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Good one. Glad we understand one another. I have always thought you were one of the more rational posters on this forum. Usually your comments are well reasoned and carefully worded. I apologize if any of mine have offended you.

Not at all. But honestly, living in the Bay Area I have known, been friends with and worked with a lot of gay folk, and I haven't noticed them being more or less dramatic or emotional or brooding or whatever than my straight friends and acquaintances.

YMMV, of course, but I'm reminded of the gay guy I knew in high school that was as dark and broody as they come. That was in Alabama. I met him again after he'd moved to Palo Alto, and he was happy as a clam. It you see what I mean.
  • Reply 296 of 335
    Quote:

I?m certainly trying to lighten the thread. I don?t mind if it?s not resonating as funny, so long as you don?t think it?s resonating as bigoted or homophobic.

I didn't think so at all. No worries.

It's just that I find the hundreds of posts and the tone of many of them on what I think is a fairly innocuous story somewhat odd for this day and age.
  • Reply 297 of 335
    Quote:

IOW, Cook did not blow jobs from his CEO chair.

• Reply 298 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

and I haven't noticed them being more or less dramatic or emotional or brooding or whatever than my straight friends and acquaintances.

Yeah there is not much difference between straights and gays in the bay area

Just kidding - hugs from socal
  • Reply 299 of 335
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

They are "outing" the guy. Not cool. Not even close to cool.

+1 from me. Not cool.
  • Reply 300 of 335
    300 posts with many angry debates and no one employed Godwin's law. Silver lining?