Verizon leak shows Motorola's iPad challenger priced at $799

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
A possible leak of Verizon's 'minimum advertised price' for the unreleased Motorola Xoom tablet lists a $799.99 price tag for the device, $70 more than a comparable iPad.

The leaked updates to Verizon's MAP pricing for the Xoom tablet were obtained by Android Central, though the report was quick to warn that the price could change before launch.

Google VP Andy Rubin showed off a prototype of the Motorola tablet in December. Motorola then released a teaser video for the tablet, downplaying the iPad as "like a giant iPhone" and touting the Motorola tablet as "the next chapter in tablet evolution."

Motorola formally unveiled the Xoom tablet at the Consumer Electronics Show in January, though the device was "not completely done." The Xoom will be the first tablet to run Google's Android 3.0 Honeycomb operating system, which has been "designed from the ground up for tablets."

The Xoom has a dual core 1GHz processor, 32GB of flash storage and front and rear cameras. The 10.1 inch screen has a resolution of 1280 by 800. Additional features include a built-in gyroscope, barometer, e-compass, accelerometer and adaptive lighting.

If the leaked price of $799 is to be believed, the Xoom would cost $70 more than the 32GB 3G iPad, which sells for $729. Motorola plans to release the device in the first quarter of this year.

The leak also listed update prices for several Motorola smartphones and the HTC Thunderbolt, which is listed at $249.99. According to the photos, the minimum advertising prices for the Thunderbolt and Xoom are valid from Jan. 21 to July 21.

Last October, Apple CEO Steve Jobs predicted that competitors would "have a tough time coming close to iPad's pricing" because Apple creates its own "A4 chip, software, battery chemistry, enclosure, everything."

Earlier this week, Apple Chief Operations Officer Tim Cook, who will fill in for Jobs during his recently announced medical leave of absence, downplayed concerns about rival tablets like the Xoom. "There?s nothing shipping yet, and they lack performance specs and pricing. Today they?re vapor," said Cook during the company's first fiscal quarter 2011 earnings call on Tuesday.

"However, we?re not sitting still," Cook continued. "We have a huge first-mover advantage. And a huge user advantage from iTunes to the App Store. Huge number of apps and an ecosystem. We?re very confident entering into a fight with anyone."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 191
    $799.00=d.o.a.
  • Reply 2 of 191
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Apps?

What can it do?
  • Reply 3 of 191
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    When is Honeycomb due?
  • Reply 4 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GmanMac View Post

$799.00=d.o.a.

dead BEFORE arrival, in fact
  • Reply 5 of 191
    Don't you love how the pricing relation is against the iPad v1? When iPad 2 hits the market with more ram and speed, then what?

I don't think the Xoom will be DoA, but I do think it will not sell near as many units as iPads. I'm curious as to how all this competition will play out.
  • Reply 6 of 191
    Dead, specially when people realize that they will be at the mercy of Moto and the carriers for any software update.
  • Reply 7 of 191
    I am sure they'll sell a few*.

*I mean that literally.
  • Reply 8 of 191
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Economies of scale - boy, Steve nailed it.

Wouldn't surprise me if Apple reduced the price of the iPad by another $49.
  • Reply 8 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

When is Honeycomb due?

I think they're waiting for Rubin to finish Honeycomb... and then they can finish the tablet... who knows??
  • Reply 10 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fraklinc View Post

Dead, specially when people realize that they will be at the mercy of Moto and the carriers for any software update.

As opposed to folks being at the mercy of Apple for a software update?

Android devices can be rooted, any any number of custom OS images loaded. Give it time.
  • Reply 11 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

When is Honeycomb due?

Andy Rubin said: "sometime next year" in December

Xoom launch day is rumored to be Feb. 14.
  • Reply 12 of 191
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Competition is always good. Android smartphones are looking better all the time and to the point where I'd buy one just as easily as buying an iPhone.

Is there anything close to the iPad right now? Not that I've seen, so Apple will maintain much of its lead this year. HP apparently has something on the WebOS front but it better make toast and drip coffee or something like that to take away sales from the iPad.
  • Reply 13 of 191
    I am sure it will do better than samsung tab.
  • Reply 14 of 191
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Haven't any of these Motoheads studied Zune?
  • Reply 15 of 191
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fraklinc View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by derekmorr View Post

As opposed to folks being at the mercy of Apple for a software update?

Android devices can be rooted, any any number of custom OS images loaded. Give it time.

What the original poster meant of course is that Android devices are dependent on their carrier, not Google, to provide updates. And the carriers/manufacturers can modify Android any way they please, causing the fragmentation that is beginning to plague Android. iOS devices are updated directly by Apple without depending on some third party. But you already knew that didn't you and just wanted to troll your fandroidism.

And yeah, right, the average joe consumer is going to root his Android device and install some goofball custom OS. Not going to happen on any kind of scale, large or small. More like on a minuscule scale. But you already know that too don't you. Why does the tech tinkerer crowd think they represent the mass market and that tinkering ability trumps ease of use? Nonsense. Give it as much time as you want. It ain't gonna happen.
  • Reply 16 of 191
    I guess they can't keep costs down. Apple hogging up all the components supplies is paying off..
  • Reply 17 of 191
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by derekmorr View Post

If that's the "advantage", then the Xoom will definitely die quickly. How many more millions of iOS devices that continuously prove the naysayers wrong will it take to prove to folks like you that what's good for the tech-head/geek community is not what the masses want?

You're in a very, very small (albeit vocal) minority.

Besides, there's already tough-talk from Motorola going around with them locking down their devices to prevent folks from tinkering their devices. What makes you think they will honor the "openness" mantra of Android? A motorola spokesperson even said to folks like you to look elsewhere if you want an "open" device!

Good luck.

At least as iOS device will be upgradeable for the next few years when new releases of iOS comes out. Who's to say motorola will let that happen for any of their devices?
  • Reply 18 of 191
    800 bucks? damn
  • Reply 19 of 191
    Seriously? The killer app is going to be accurate weather conditions at any elevation?

And for only $500 more than the iPad?

The line for these things should be - um - out the - um - door!
  • Reply 20 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joshong View Post

Andy Rubin said: "sometime next year" in December

Xoom launch day is rumored to be Feb. 14.

I've seen a release date for the wifi Xoom of Feb. 14 as you've mentioned but I've also seen release date of April for the wifi version (and another story says the 4lte in April).

... but then I've also read stories where Rubin isn't finished Honeycomb... who knows... we'll see soon enough.