Verizon leak shows Motorola's iPad challenger priced at $799

Comments

• Reply 21 of 191
    That could be the price with a contract..
  • Reply 22 of 191
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HahaHaha321 View Post

People do realize that this could be without a contract, right?

People, excluding you, realize that the iPad is also without a contract.
  • Reply 23 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

People, excluding you, realize that the iPad is also without a contract.

The difference is that this tablet will only have a 3G model at launch with Wi-Fi-only coming later. You'll need a contract, just like the 3G iPad..
  • Reply 24 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pennywse View Post

Don't you love how the pricing relation is against the iPad v1? When iPad 2 hits the market with more ram and speed, then what?

I don't think the Xoom will be DoA, but I do think it will not sell near as many units as iPads. I'm curious as to how all this competition will play out.

iPad2, iPad2... Retina, or close display. So far no one has brought up the fact of the storage capacity to offset the increased display resolution. There would have to be a jump in storage. Maybe topping 128? Every picture would take up 4X the space. So now you have a cost increase on the panel, but to retain the same user experience you need to upgrade the storage at the same price point...

Maybe I figured it wrong. I don't have the knowledge you guys do, but it seems to make sense.

I do think Honeycomb will win out in the end. Just because of its' nature. The iPad appeals to everyone. It offers the same experience to a 90 year old as it does to t 10 year old. Being simplistic could be iOS's biggest downfall.

If only we could combine iOS with Honeycomb and W7... Honestly, who here would hate having extra options? ...along with updated panels/icons?
  • Reply 25 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

If that's the "advantage", then the Xoom will definitely die quickly. How many more millions of iOS devices that continuously prove the naysayers wrong will it take to prove to folks like you that what's good for the tech-head/geek community is not what the masses want?

Speaking of what the masses want?
    I wonder if that trend will carry over to Verizon. I think it will, as well as pull customers from non-iPhone carrying carriers.
  • Reply 26 of 191
    I don`t see why everyone seems to find this too expensive.

It`s only $70 more than the closest comparable iPad with what seems to be superior specs and abilities.

Honeycomb looks sweet and this thing can do things the first gen iPad can`t.

Apple better come up with something good in the second gen iPad.
  • Reply 27 of 191
    Quote:

The difference is that this tablet will only have a 3G model at launch with Wi-Fi-only coming later. You'll need a contract, just like the 3G iPad.

There is no contract for the iPad on AT&T. It?s month-to-month and you do it right from the iPad?s settings without calling AT&T or walking into a store. It?s simple and convenient.
  • Reply 28 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It’s simple and convenient.

Didn't realize you worked for Apple or AT&T. Great sales line.

This is not AT&T. You need a regular contract.
  • Reply 29 of 191
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kingsmuse View Post

They already have - it's called 'pricing'. And Apple will sell millions on name recognition alone.
  • Reply 30 of 191
    Quote:

You?re already changin up your argument from "People do realize that this could be without a contract, right?? to saying that this $799 price is with a contract on Verizon. That?s a record even for you.

PS I?ll ignore your current "Didn't realize you worked for Apple or AT&T. Great sales line.? and original "Oh, coming from an Apple fanboy, of course it is.? comments as I backed you into a logic corner you couldn?t get out of.
  • Reply 31 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

What the original poster meant of course is that Android devices are dependent on their carrier, not Google, to provide updates. And the carriers/manufacturers can modify Android any way they please, causing the fragmentation that is beginning to plague Android.

*sigh* Do we really still have to go through this? Fragmentation is a myth. It's a non-issue drummed up to malign Android. There is zero evidence that this alleged "fragmentation" is causing problems -- Android is neck-and-neck with iOS in terms of total devices shipped, new devices activated, etc.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

And yeah, right, the average joe consumer is going to root his Android device and install some goofball custom OS. Not going to happen on any kind of scale, large or small.

Why not? People install new versions of the OS on their laptops all the time. Why should phones and tablets be different ?
  • Reply 32 of 191
    Ooh, thanks for correcting the error. I did mean that the price would be $799 if you didn't have a contract, like how the iPhone would normally be over $600. Your arrogance helped me with that.

And I suppose you'll log that edit I just made, with all your free time and all.
  • Reply 33 of 191
    Quote:

Didn't realize you worked for Apple or AT&T. Great sales line.

At first, I thought you were misinformed. Then, dense. Now, I am convinced: it's delusional.
  • Reply 34 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

At first, I thought you were misinformed. Then, dense. Now, I am convinced: it's delusional.

Kind of like half the people here, right?

EDIT: i'll go with 90%.
  • Reply 35 of 191
    Quote:

Kind of like half the people here, right?

EDIT: i'll go with 90%.

Teckstud. For sure. Better spell-check, this time around.
  • Reply 36 of 191
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:

The difference is that this tablet will only have a 3G model at launch with Wi-Fi-only coming later. You'll need a contract, just like the 3G iPad..

The 3G iPad is an optional month-to-month plan that can be stopped and re-started any month without penalty. There is no subsidization of the 3G iPad by AT&T, which is why it costs more than the non-3G capable iPad.
  • Reply 37 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

The 3G iPad is an optional month-to-month plan that can be stopped and re-started any month without penalty. There is no subsidization of the 3G iPad by AT&T, which is why it costs more than the non-3G capable iPad.

Okay, then that's a poor example. A better example would be how the iPhone would be over $600 if you did not have a contract.

And thanks for your civilized response instead of "OMGZ YOU SAID THAT WRONG". Much appreciated.
  • Reply 38 of 191
    Quote:

Ooh, thanks for correcting the error. I did mean "with" a contract. Your arrogance helped me with that.

Yeah, you stated that, i corrected you several times already. I?ll probably regret asking this but why do you think a tablet with the same capacity of the iPad 3G using equivalent HW for a YoY production model would still be $70 more expensive and still under contract when the iPad 3G is not? What is your reasoning that this device actually costs about $300-$400 more without contract?

PS: Adding a smily face to an insult make you look like a passive-agressive coward.
  • Reply 39 of 191
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kingsmuse View Post

I don`t see why everyone seems to find this too expensive.

It`s only $70 more than the closest comparable iPad with what seems to be superior specs and abilities.

Honeycomb looks sweet and this thing can do things the first gen iPad can`t.

The base iPad starts at $499. Apple's average selling price for all iPads sold last quarter-- according to their last quarterly report-- was less than this device will cost. If you factor in first-mover advantages and word-of-mouth over the holidays, combined with Apple's huge retail presence, this tablet would have a hard time competing with the current iPad. It doesn't help matters that it will actually be competing with an upgraded iPad.
  • Reply 40 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Teckstud. For sure. Better spell-check, this time around.

I don?t think he plans to be using that username for long. He?s not even trying anymore? he?s just trying.