Verizon leak shows Motorola's iPad challenger priced at $799

Comments

• Reply 61 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

Well, it wouldn't quite be right to compare it to a product that, officially speaking, doesn't even exist.

Yes, I'm pretty sure iPad 2 will leaprog the Xoom. Then the Xoom 2 will leapfrog the iPad 2...

I do like the fact that the Xoom's UI is designed to take advantage of all the space. The iPad's apps do this pretty well, but the homescreen is stuck in iPod mode. Instead of 16 apps (iPhone) you get 24! That's not really a big advantage... iOS 5 better come up with some better use of homepage/notifications...

Cannot argue with any points in your post and I also agree with the "... better used of homepage ..." comment. Apple could do so many great things with the UI that I don't think would make life too difficult for the naive iPad users.

I'm curious to see what Apple does with OSX "Lion" and future versions of iOS.
  • Reply 62 of 191
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HahaHaha321 View Post

I completely agree that they should have a lot of consistency between iPhone and iPad. However, if they want people to stop thinking of an iPad as simply a giant iPhone

It's not hurting sales. The need for consistency is greater than the need for differentiation.
  • Reply 63 of 191
    Why don't we get a pool going to guess when the Xoom will actually be released.

If this thing is supposed to ship on February 14th then that pretty much means that it's being manufactured as we speak... yet, to the best of my knowledge, Rubin hasn't even completed Android 3.0 (Honeycomb).

I'm guessing May or June before this thing gets out the door... otherwise how can they get the bugs out of this thing if the OS hasn't even been finalized?

This thing is just being rushed out the door too fast.

Good luck with that Motorola. [why doesn't Apple buy Moto Mobility?... I actually got the feeling that Moto chopped itself in half for the specific reason of selling one of the 2 divisions.]
  • Reply 64 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by derekmorr View Post

*sigh* Do we really still have to go through this? Fragmentation is a myth. It's a non-issue drummed up to malign Android. There is zero evidence that this alleged "fragmentation" is causing problems -- Android is neck-and-neck with iOS in terms of total devices shipped, new devices activated, etc.

?

Apparently you have never written android code. Fragmentation is real.
  • Reply 65 of 191
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:

*sigh* Do we really still have to go through this? Fragmentation is a myth. It's a non-issue drummed up to malign Android. There is zero evidence that this alleged "fragmentation" is causing problems -- Android is neck-and-neck with iOS in terms of total devices shipped, new devices activated, etc.

Apparently we do. It is a significant issue for developers, and several of the leading Android devs report having to do QA on over 100 HW/SW pair variants because they are different enough to cause differing application behavior. Thus there are a significant number of apps that aren't always compatible with all versions on release. THAT is the DEFINITION of fragmentation!
  • Reply 66 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Somewhere DaHarder is contemplating downing an entire bottle of Tylernol - hang in there, buddy!!!

Two cheers to that mate!
  • Reply 67 of 191
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    removed
  • Reply 68 of 191
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

If the leaked price of $799 is to be believed, the Xoom would cost $70 more than the 32GB 3G iPad, which sells for $729.

or $30 less than the 64GB iPad.
  • Reply 69 of 191
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

If this thing is supposed to ship on February 14th then that pretty much means that it's being manufactured as we speak... yet, to the best of my knowledge, Rubin hasn't even completed Android 3.0 (Honeycomb).

I would hope they are in production if they are shipping 2/14. The lunar new year starts 2/3 and means no manufacturing for two weeks.
  • Reply 70 of 191
    Quote:

Okay, then that's a poor example. A better example would be how the iPhone would be over $600 if you did not have a contract.

And thanks for your civilized response instead of "OMGZ YOU SAID THAT WRONG". Much appreciated.

Switching products switched the market. Try again.

You now have to compare the competition in Android Phones versus the iPhone.

Or you could just be an adult and admit you are wrong.
  • Reply 71 of 191
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

I guess they can't keep costs down. Apple hogging up all the components supplies is paying off..

I think Apple sells so many that manufacturers give them discounts. Whereas there would live to be like 200 or 300 andoid tables out in order for it to just barely even compete and those will be all different versions of Honeycomb supporting different things. The beauty of the PC was the fact that even with multiple hardware vendors, you still got the same experience. For an end user that's important. At $799 bucks is rather expensive for a product that's not aimed at the high end market.
  • Reply 72 of 191
    Quote:

Did you not see where I corrected that above? With all that time you seem to spend on this site with all your posts and all, that's surprising. Typical AI arrogance.

People on this website make me ashamed to be typing on a Mac right now. No wonder why so many people hate Apple.

Complete strangers on the Internets can make you feel ashamed?
  • Reply 73 of 191
    aeolianaeolian Posts: 189member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

Well, it wouldn't quite be right to compare it to a product that, officially speaking, doesn't even exist.

Yes, I'm pretty sure iPad 2 will leaprog the Xoom. Then the Xoom 2 will leapfrog the iPad 2...

I do like the fact that the Xoom's UI is designed to take advantage of all the space. The iPad's apps do this pretty well, but the homescreen is stuck in iPod mode. Instead of 16 apps (iPhone) you get 24! That's not really a big advantage... iOS 5 better come up with some better use of homepage/notifications...

Excellently spoken. I too wish for a better 'home' page. More notifications. Unfortunately, and I'm new to these rumor sites, from what I've heard about the new iOS 'build', we can't even expect the new swiping controls. It may be a looooong while before we see something good.
  • Reply 74 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kingsmuse View Post

I don`t see why everyone seems to find this too expensive.

It`s only $70 more than the closest comparable iPad with what seems to be superior specs and abilities.

How many people are buying the highest end iPad? My guess is the $499 16GB/wifi-only model is most popular based on what my friends/family have bought. No way of knowing for sure since Apple doesn't release exact sales figures.
  • Reply 75 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

I think Apple sells so many that manufacturers give them discounts. Whereas there would live to be like 200 or 300 andoid tables out in order for it to just barely even compete and those will be all different versions of Honeycomb supporting different things. The beauty of the PC was the fact that even with multiple hardware vendors, you still got the same experience. For an end user that's important. At $799 bucks is rather expensive for a product that's not aimed at the high end market.

It's the 'un-tapped' potential that worries me. I really does look futuristic. It's what we thought we would be doing ten years ago.
  • Reply 76 of 191
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post

It's the 'un-tapped' potential that worries me. I really does look futuristic. It's what we thought we would be doing ten years ago.

Not sure what point you are trying to make here....but its pretty thats for sure but its too expensive.
  • Reply 77 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SinisterJoe View Post

How many people are buying the highest end iPad? My guess is the $499 16GB/wifi-only model is most popular based on what my friends/family have bought. No way of knowing for sure since Apple doesn't release exact sales figures.

Seriously? I have the 64G WiFi model. I was very dissapointed when they only introduced it with 64G. I had that on the iPod touch. I would gladly pay $1,500+ for the best iPad. I have enough contracts out there already.
  • Reply 78 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Not sure what point you are trying to make here....but its pretty thats for sure but its too expensive.

Help me out with your post please.
  • Reply 79 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post

iPad2, iPad2... Retina, or close display. So far no one has brought up the fact of the storage capacity to offset the increased display resolution. There would have to be a jump in storage. Maybe topping 128? Every picture would take up 4X the space. So now you have a cost increase on the panel, but to retain the same user experience you need to upgrade the storage at the same price point...

Maybe I figured it wrong. I don't have the knowledge you guys do, but it seems to make sense.

I do think Honeycomb will win out in the end. Just because of its' nature. The iPad appeals to everyone. It offers the same experience to a 90 year old as it does to t 10 year old. Being simplistic could be iOS's biggest downfall.

If only we could combine iOS with Honeycomb and W7... Honestly, who here would hate having extra options? ...along with updated panels/icons?

Same storage space for a given file as before
  • Reply 80 of 191
    d-ranged-range Posts: 396member
    Quote:

Zero evidence, really? Then how is it that right now, with all the Android devices shipped, every serious software producer that makes applications or games that really have to push the hardware, make their software for iOS? If there is no fragmentation, why is Angry Birds for Android so shitty that Rovio even had to apologize for it and made a 'Lite version' so all the handsets except a few of the most high-end ones could also run it? Why is are the Rage and Unreal engines only on iOS you think? Both Rovio and John Carmack have publicly stated that iOS will remain the dominant platform for games because it simply is so much easier and cheaper do develop for, and has much better sales outlook. Why do you think the app store now has 10 billion downloads and iOS users, the most applications in any category compared to Androd except for 'system utilities' you need to dick around with you phone internals to make it suck less?

Android fragmentation *is* real. Just because it's not an issue for simple applications doesn't mean that for developers who need to be able to target sufficiently capable baseline hardware and software, Android is a nightmare. Either you develop for Android and target a small minority of high-end handsets, or you develop for iOS and you immediately have 120 million devices on the market that are capable of running your software. Developers choose iOS by the hordes, which is the best evidence that fragmentation is an issue. The fact that so many Android phones are being sold is irrelevant, or maybe even goes to show what is causing the fragmentation problems.