Verizon leak shows Motorola's iPad challenger priced at $799

Comments

• Reply 81 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HahaHaha321 View Post

Kind of like half the people here, right?

EDIT: i'll go with 90%.

At least you now admit it
  • Reply 82 of 191
    Was the Zoom demoed like the iPad ?

Cost and availability announced on the presentation day ?

Was it given to Journalists to try ?

I'm not sure, and I may stand corrected, but I think NO.

So to me its still vapour and should be treated as such until Motorolla furnishes some hard details.

Again the the android worshipers fall into the spec trap, yes anything looks good on paper, even crummy Chinese $99 tablets.

Another shard in the android fragmentation universe.
  • Reply 83 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Apparently we do. It is a significant issue for developers, and several of the leading Android devs report having to do QA on over 100 HW/SW pair variants because they are different enough to cause differing application behavior.

Name one. Aside from Angry Birds (an issue that appeared to be due to sloppy code), I haven't heard of any.
  • Reply 84 of 191
    dsectdsect Posts: 25member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

... The beauty of the PC was the fact that even with multiple hardware vendors, you still got the same experience...

I think you left out a few words: a (frustrating, buggy, badly-multitasking, bluescreening, productivity-killing, non-standards-compliant) experience. \
  • Reply 85 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fraklinc View Post

Dead, specially when people realize that they will be at the mercy of Moto and the carriers for any software update.

I thought Android 3.0 was doing away with that utterly shite update model?

Plus, with the source code copying issue hanging over Android's head, there's anything but a certain future for anyone using Android.

And regardless of the fact that most of copied code is from "unit testing source code", all the LAW cares about with regard to copyright infringement is whether unauthorised "copying" occured. The law doesn't care if that source code was used in a shipping product or not.
  • Reply 86 of 191
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post

iPad2, iPad2... Retina, or close display. So far no one has brought up the fact of the storage capacity to offset the increased display resolution. There would have to be a jump in storage. Maybe topping 128? Every picture would take up 4X the space. So now you have a cost increase on the panel, but to retain the same user experience you need to upgrade the storage at the same price point...

The iPhone 3GS to iPhone 4 didn?t increase storage capacity yet the IPSWs doubled in size so I no reason Apple would have to increase the storage to accommodate the large IPSWs on the iPad.

That said, I think the 64GB 3G model may be popular enough that Apple could offer a more expensive premium model in the next revision.
  • Reply 87 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by derekmorr View Post

Why not? People install new versions of the OS on their laptops all the time. Why should phones and tablets be different ?

Ehhhrrr.... no, no they don't. Most people buy their computers and then just use it. Most people *don't care* about OS versions. Most people don't even *know* their OS version if you ask them.
  • Reply 88 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

Seriously? The killer app is going to be accurate weather conditions at any elevation?

And for only $500 more than the iPad?

The line for these things should be - um - out the - um - door!

• Reply 89 of 191
    Wow! I'd be in line today except we have TWO IPADS AND LOVE THEM.

The biggest mistake these companies are making is using the phone companies as a retail outlet.
  • Reply 90 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

Ehhhrrr.... no, no they don't. Most people buy their computers and then just use it. Most people *don't care* about OS versions. Most people don't even *know* their OS version if you ask them.

What's your evidence that people don't upgrade?

And if that's the case, then it's an argument against the alleged horrors of fragmentation.
  • Reply 91 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post

Seriously? I have the 64G WiFi model. I was very dissapointed when they only introduced it with 64G. I had that on the iPod touch. I would gladly pay $1,500+ for the best iPad. I have enough contracts out there already.

You are not representative of the market, clearly. Stop pretending that you are.
  • Reply 92 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

Was the Zoom demoed like the iPad ?

Lol, no it wasn't. The demo consisted of showing a series of videos of the functionality on the device. Smoke and mirrors!

Quote:

Cost and availability announced on the presentation day ?

Nope

Quote:

Was it given to Journalists to try ?

I'm not sure, and I may stand corrected, but I think NO.

Seeing as the demos was a series of videos, I highly doubt it, at least not that would have given the journo's anything meaningful.
  • Reply 93 of 191
    Quote:

What's your evidence that people don't upgrade?

And if that's the case, then it's an argument against the alleged horrors of fragmentation.

People upgrade if they open iTunes and then a small box tells them "Install new version, Great stuff awaits you, free of charge, ease of install". They will *not* install a new OS if that requires them to go to the shop, buy Windows XXX, go home, back the entirety of their hard drive, format the hard disk, and install all the apps all over again.

It has to do with ease of use. People don't *want* to worry about OSes. They want to spend zero seconds in the configuration of their systems and 100% of their time in their own business.
  • Reply 94 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by res08hao View Post

The biggest mistake these companies are making is using the phone companies as a retail outlet.

That's a good point, and rarely mentioned. Very astute.
  • Reply 95 of 191
    Quote:

People upgrade if they open iTunes and then a small box tells them "Install new version, Great stuff awaits you, free of charge, ease of install". They will *not* install a new OS if that requires them to go to the shop, buy Windows XXX, go home, back the entirety of their hard drive, format the hard disk, and install all the apps all over again.

So, again, aside from sweeping generalities, do you have any evidence to back up your claims? People do actually upgrade to newer versions of Windows (and Mac OS X) on their PCs. IIRC, Mr. Jobs regularly touts this during the WWDC keynote.
  • Reply 96 of 191
    Quote:

So, again, aside from sweeping generalities, do you have any evidence to back up your claims? People do actually upgrade to newer versions of Windows (and Mac OS X) on their PCs. IIRC, Mr. Jobs regularly touts this during the WWDC keynote.

No, no they don't. I'm not saying anything amazing, perhaps you'll ask me evidence that 2 and 2 is 4, eh. This should be basic knowledge, but I guess that there are people here completely unaware of this thing called "real world". Yes, sure, there are a lot of OS boxes being bought, but they are nowhere near the same order of magnitude of the number of PCs being bought. Make the math. (Use the calculator if having troubles)
  • Reply 97 of 191
    Quote:

No, no they don't. I'm not saying anything amazing, perhaps you'll ask me evidence that 2 and 2 is 4, eh. This should be basic knowledge, but I guess that there are people here completely unaware of this thing called "real world". Yes, sure, there are a lot of OS boxes being bought, but they are nowhere near the same order of magnitude of the number of PCs being bought. Make the math. (Use the calculator if having troubles)

Typical fanboy response: Provide no data and call other people names. Ok, I'm done. It's not worth my time talking to you.
  • Reply 98 of 191
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Who even cares? It's not like anyone who wants a tablet even knows what a Xoom is.

People don't even know what they want is a "tablet". They think iPad is a category.
  • Reply 99 of 191
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Typical fanboy response: Provide no data and call other people names. Ok, I'm done. It's not worth my time talking to you.

People do not upgrade their windows os. Why? Because they can't click a button to do so. I know dozens of people personally with XP and Vista on their boxes, for no other reason than that's what came with it when they bought it. Once it completely dies, they'll buy a new box that they will never upgrade.

Mac owners are mostly different however. many will upgrade. Few will not. I know plenty of people with 2006 macs that have tiger on them.
  • Reply 100 of 191
    Quote:

As opposed to folks being at the mercy of Apple for a software update?

Android devices can be rooted, any any number of custom OS images loaded. Give it time.

I don't think you get it. When apple is selling these by the million, they are selling to ordinary consumers. They just want the thing to work. They plug it in to apple for updates and software and other content. They just want it to work.

The Android market on the other hand is filled with techno-geeks who don't mind going all over the Internet getting apps, updates, and content. Some of it works, some doesn't.

What I don't get is who, other than the anti-apple crowd, would buy an android pad. At best, they might be as good, they might be as cheap, they might have some apps. Key word - might. Sorry, but I'm going with the real deal. This is why apple will dominate in this market for years to come.