Apple reaches 10 billion downloads on the iOS App Store

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Saturday announced that its iOS App Store for the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad has reached the milestone of 10 billion downloads since its launch in 2008.

"Thank you. Ten billion times," Apple's official countdown was changed to read. "The 10 Billion App Countdown promotion has ended. Please come back to this page later to see who won."

The company began a countdown to 10 billion downloads on Jan. 14, when there were about 250 million downloads to go. It ran a promotion in which the 10 billionth downloader will win an iTunes gift card valued at $10,000 U.S.

Downloads from the App Store have grown at an exponential rate. It was in January of 2010 that Apple announced total App Store downloads had topped 3 billion in the digital download destination's first year and a half.

But in the last year, the number of App Store downloads has more than tripled, with nearly 7 billion downloads in the last year alone. For comparison, in its first year, the App Store reached 1.5 billion downloads.

There are more than 300,000 applications available on the App Store for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. And Apple revealed this week that it has sold 160 million iOS devices.

The App Store originally debuted on the iPhone and iPod touch, but last year it was extended to the iPad. In addition, this month Apple launched a spin-off of its popular iOS downloading service for the Mac, dubbed the Mac App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 72
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    yay. and 50x more Fart Apps have been downloaded from the App Store than TOTAL downloads from the WP7 Marketplace.
  • Reply 2 of 72
    Wow! 10 billion downloads in 16 days!
  • Reply 3 of 72
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    I wonder how many of those were free and how many were $1 apps?

My guess would be more then half.

Off topic question -

When installing Snow Leopard on a new drive, is it recommended to first install Leopard?

Client had his HDD go in his Macbook Pro. Going to throw in one of those Seagate hybrid drives.
  • Reply 4 of 72
    Congrats! But isn't a $10,000 iTunes card a bit much? Can someone confirm if iTunes cards be used to purchase from the Apple Store, too?
  • Reply 5 of 72
    Are updates included in this figure or just original "purchases". I put it in "" because many are at no cost.
  • Reply 6 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HahaHaha321 View Post

Congrats! But isn't a $10,000 iTunes card a bit much?

I was thinking the same thing. I would've loved to have gotten a fully loaded 17" MB Pro and still would have had chingos of money left.
  • Reply 7 of 72
    Quote:

Congrats! But isn't a $10,000 iTunes card a bit much?

Apple used to give away an iMac and ten iPods for milestone downloads. The recent offerings are completely pathetic.

Quote:

Can someone confirm if iTunes cards be used to purchase from the Apple Store, too?

Can't. Can you use a $15 iTunes card to purchase from the Apple Store? No.
  • Reply 8 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, obviosuly you can't walk into an Apple Retail store and buy something with an iTunes giftcard.

For example, when I logged into the Mac App Store, my credit for my iTunes account is able to be used there. I was thinking that if you logged into the Apple Online Store, the same credit would show up also to buy products and accessories. Is that true?
  • Reply 9 of 72
    Quote:

Congrats! But isn't a $10,000 iTunes card a bit much? Can someone confirm if iTunes cards be used to purchase from the Apple Store, too?

iTunes gift cards are good for anything you can purchase through iTunes.
  • Reply 10 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

Off topic question -

When installing Snow Leopard on a new drive, is it recommended to first install Leopard?

Client had his HDD go in his Macbook Pro. Going to throw in one of those Seagate hybrid drives.

There's no need to install leopard first, keep it clean.
  • Reply 11 of 72
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Apple used to give away an iMac and ten iPods for milestone downloads. The recent offerings are completely pathetic.

$10,000 worth of music, media, and software for coincidentally making a purchase (or downloading a free app) is "pathetic?"

Think about it, you could download any song, movie, piece of Mac software, or book essentially for free for many years to come if not for life. That's cooler than a $2,000 piece of hardware that you probably don't need and will out of date in 3 or 4 years.
  • Reply 12 of 72
    Quote:

For example, when I logged into the Mac App Store, my credit for my iTunes account is able to be used there. I was thinking that if you logged into the Apple Online Store, the same credit would show up also to buy products and accessories. Is that true?

Completely false. It says so on every card. iTunes Store (and Mac App Store) only. This SHOULD change, but it isn't going to any time soon.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

$10,000 worth of music, media, and software for coincidentally making a purchase (or downloading a free app) is "pathetic?"

Think about it, you could download any song, movie, piece of Mac software, or book essentially for free for many years to come if not for life. That's cooler than a $2,000 piece of hardware that you probably don't need and will out of date in 3 or 4 years.

4 years? You don't take very good care of your machines, then.
  • Reply 13 of 72
    Be real. APPLE giving away anything for an event is definitely better than any other company does. Apple stands for integrity, quality and inovation. consider anything they give you as a bonus, what more can you really want.
  • Reply 14 of 72
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

If I said to you what would you rather have $2,000 now or $200 a year for the next 50 years, which would you prefer?

The likelihood is that you won't spend $10,000 very soon on content that Apple offers on iTunes so you won't see the benefit.

It's a decent prize for downloading an app but that $10,000 number will sit in the corner on your iTunes account tormenting you every time you login. Given the choice, I think almost anyone would pick Apple hardware over an iTunes voucher and it feels better to have hardware as you get a tangible product, not some cheap piece of plastic with a code on it.

Even if they diversify the prize like $3,000 iTunes voucher + $1,500 specced up 11" Macbook Air + $400 64GB iPod Touch.
  • Reply 15 of 72
    I think a $10,000 iTunes card would be awesome. Rent all the movies,, buy all the software and music you want for several years. If anyone here won it and doesn't want it, call me and I'll take it off your hands.
  • Reply 16 of 72
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    Apple hit the milestone around 2:07 AM PST.

Did anyone try to download some app hoping to win? I know I did.
  • Reply 17 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Be real. APPLE giving away anything for an event is definitely better than any other company does. Apple stands for integrity, quality and inovation. consider anything they give you as a bonus, what more can you really want.

If you want to get technical, almost all of the content on iTunes is provided by other companies. Apple is just hosting it.

I think an iTunes giftcard is great, but are people really going to spend $10,000 in content? They should make a universal giftcard to use on their products, accessories and iTunes.
  • Reply 18 of 72
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Congrats Apple. I hope it's me that won.
  • Reply 19 of 72
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skiracer1987 View Post

Are updates included in this figure or just original "purchases". I put it in "" because many are at no cost.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

Off topic question -

Free or $1 apps, does it make any difference? The issue here is the significance of the number of downloads.
  • Reply 20 of 72
    Quote:

Of course not. Nothing at the Apple store costs that cheap.