Apple reaches 10 billion downloads on the iOS App Store

Comments

• Reply 41 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NewMacMan View Post

So how and when do they announce the download winner?

Never mind, just read it over at 9to5mac.com.
  • Reply 42 of 72
    The winner of the $10,000 gift certificate can sell it for say $3,000 in cash to someone who can sell iTunes songs on the net for like 50% off.
  • Reply 43 of 72
    Come on guys, it's a cool prize. All the music, movies, TV shows and books you could ever want, classic and new. Any app or game your heart desires.
  • Reply 44 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NewMacMan View Post

Never mind, just read it over at 9to5mac.com.

When I saw "Paper Glider" my heart jumped a little, as it was one of those I was downloading at the designated time... then I saw "Gail of Kent, UK" and I sighed.
  • Reply 45 of 72
    aeolianaeolian Posts: 189member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HahaHaha321 View Post

Well, obviosuly you can't walk into an Apple Retail store and buy something with an iTunes giftcard.

For example, when I logged into the Mac App Store, my credit for my iTunes account is able to be used there. I was thinking that if you logged into the Apple Online Store, the same credit would show up also to buy products and accessories. Is that true?

This really mystifies me. I can't have friends or family buy me an 'Apple' gift card. However, I can get tons of Dunk'n Donuts gift cards.

This is why I sometimes think they are 'behind the times'.

So instead I get tons of Amazon gift cards, when people know I would prefer an Apple one.

So if I wanted to save up for an Apple device and bought a $15 card every week... I can't do it... Why?
  • Reply 46 of 72
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Don't forget the winner gets to pay taxes on the $10,000.

it is treated as income.
  • Reply 47 of 72
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post

This really mystifies me. I can't have friends or family buy me an 'Apple' gift card. However, I can get tons of Dunk'n Donuts gift cards.

This is why I sometimes think they are 'behind the times'.

So instead I get tons of Amazon gift cards, when people know I would prefer an Apple one.

So use the amazon gift cards to purchase Apple products on amazon.

Quote:

So if I wanted to save up for an Apple device and bought a $15 card every week... I can't do it... Why?

Because as noted, iTunes gift cards are only for iTunes/Mac app store.

Purchase Apple gift cards to purchase from the Apple store.

-> http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/giftcards
  • Reply 48 of 72
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

it is treated as income.

Yeah, from a tax standpoint, you'd be better off getting one $2,000 card for each of the next five years, or something like that.

But honestly, I'd be more than willing to pay the taxes on the card. If Gail from the UK doesn't want to pay, she can send it to me.
  • Reply 49 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

Original purchases actually.

Unlike android 'activations" of 300,000 per day, which a sizeable portion are updates, unlike iOS, which includes true activations only.

It seems that our friends are cooking their books! It has been confirmed to be true.
  • Reply 50 of 72
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

it is treated as income.

No, it isn't.

In the UK any prize winning (such as a lottery win) is tax free. You are only taxed on any interest related to that money. In this case, the card will not earn any interest, so it's a tax free prize in the UK.
  • Reply 51 of 72
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Create a web site, where folks can request a song / download, and they pay you for that song / download.

It should take to long to get $10,000.00 worth of request from folks. Hell Apple got BILLIONS in days!

Skip
  • Reply 52 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

Not 16d, since 2008.

9 days (i.e. since Jan 14, 2011) is only for the last 250 million to go

Jan 14 was when they started the countdown. Jan 6 is when the App Store was released. But anyway...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

TROLL alert

I'm not a troll at all
  • Reply 53 of 72
    yodieyodie Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

$10,000 worth of music, media, and software for coincidentally making a purchase (or downloading a free app) is "pathetic?"

Think about it, you could download any song, movie, piece of Mac software, or book essentially for free for many years to come if not for life. That's cooler than a $2,000 piece of hardware that you probably don't need and will out of date in 3 or 4 years.

Mostly I'd just worry about the taxes. Is it worth thousands of dollars of taxes just to get unlimited downloads for a few years?

Edit: I always fail to notice that there's a second page and the repost what's been posted already.

Edit again: Wow, blast from the past (old Apple website) http://www.apple.com/eppstore/comcas...kes/rules.html.
  • Reply 54 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2cents View Post

Jan 14 was when they started the countdown. Jan 6 is when the App Store was released. But anyway...

The OTHER App Store.
  • Reply 55 of 72
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yodie View Post

Mostly I'd just worry about the taxes. Is it worth thousands of dollars of taxes just to get unlimited downloads for a few years?

Edit: I always fail to notice that there's a second page and the repost what's been posted already.

Edit again: Wow, blast from the past (old Apple website) http://www.apple.com/eppstore/comcas...kes/rules.html.

No taxes on this in the UK.
  • Reply 56 of 72
    yodieyodie Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

No taxes on this in the UK.

I'm not from the UK, which is why my worries don't come from a UK perspective.

Although you guys are lucky (in this perspective anyway). Taxes are a way to screw everyone over.
  • Reply 57 of 72
    In the general sense then, were this a US winner I would say that the taxes may curtail the usefulness of the prizes, yes. After all they probably wouldn't have spent the tax cost on iTunes in one financial year and neither the card nor downloads are transferable or sellable.
  • Reply 58 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

In the general sense then, were this a US winner I would say that the taxes may curtail the use of the prizes, yes. After all they probably wouldn't have spent the tax cost on iTunes in one financial year and the card, and downloads are non transferable or sellable.

I wonder if the FMV of the prize would actually be 10k.

How much would you pay for 10k in iTunes money?
  • Reply 59 of 72
    I don't think there is a bulk discount. Spend $50 on a voucher, get $ 50 worth of downloads. Like a gift cert.
  • Reply 60 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Come on guys, it's a cool prize. All the music, movies, TV shows and books you could ever want, classic and new. Any app or game your heart desires.

Of course it's a cool prize! But if you think about it, is someone really going to spend $10,000 only for iTunes content? It will be just sitting in your account instead of actually being able to buy tangible items.