Apple hires former NSA, Navy analyst as security czar

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    Good move by Apple.

It seems they are building a serious security team!

• Reply 42 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nano_tube View Post

Good move by Apple.

Apple has a serious security team. This is mostly a PR move. But still a good one.
  • Reply 43 of 55
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Simply stop building crap like Ping and you wouldn't need someone to watch your potential holes.
  • Reply 44 of 55
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

Simply stop building crap like Ping and you wouldn't need someone to watch your potential holes.

More FUD.
  • Reply 45 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

Do you remember of a guy called Eric Schmidt (Google), who sat on Aaple's board?

The outcome was infamous.

So they happily hire this person, and all will still be sweet?

Do you believe everything your government tells you? So why believe Apple.

Good grief, please go bother members of some other forum. There isn't a government in this world that doesn't look over your shoulder. Maybe you wouldn't be so worried about it if you weren't involved in illegal activities.
  • Reply 46 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nano_tube View Post

Good move by Apple.

They need to setup their own lab environment & offer a bunch of high school & college age hackers to come in & just pound on their new up & coming stuff. Throw in tons of financial incentive and you got about the best security audit team money can buy!
  • Reply 47 of 55
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

They need to setup their own lab environment & offer a bunch of high school & college age hackers to come in & just pound on their new up & coming stuff. Throw in tons of financial incentive and you got about the best security audit team money can buy!

Interesting idea. I just read this:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/...tories+2%29%29
  • Reply 48 of 55
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IronTed View Post

Guess Steve Jobs did read my email after all. I told them to bolster the security of Mac OS X

by fully implementing ASLR. I also told Steve to increase enterprise focus and hire more direct sales force. Steve and Tim got it.

So you told him to discontinue the Xserve! I guess that could also be viewed as the ultimate security measure: Xserve is the most secure server. Nobody can break into it because it doesn't exist anymore.
  • Reply 49 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

At NeXT we routinely had contracts with the CIA and the NSA.

We provided custom builds of NeXTStep and Openstep for them. These weren't builds the Public ever used.

The same for Merrill Lynch, Swiss National Bank, etc.

The public never used NeXT to begin with. You've pretty much written the client list: Wall Street and Washington.
  • Reply 50 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alonso Perez View Post

The public never used NeXT to begin with. You've pretty much written the client list: Wall Street and Washington.

Most decent universities had at least a few.
  • Reply 51 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Great hire by Apple.

steve jobs hired someone from the military? his illness must be affecting his judgment.
  • Reply 52 of 55
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

steve jobs hired someone from the military? his illness must be affecting his judgment.

So now you want to slander the troops.

Love to have your address.
  • Reply 53 of 55
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:

You are a lowlife scum barely worthy of the protection the military has afforded your genetic lineage. You'll continue to get that protection too, though you don't deserve it. You sad sack of chicken excrement. Go away or I shall have to taunt you a second time.
  • Reply 54 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

You are a lowlife scum barely worthy of the protection the military has afforded your genetic lineage. You'll continue to get that protection too, though you don't deserve it. You sad sack of chicken excrement. Go away or I shall have to taunt you a second time.

calm yourself: have a doughnut, watch opra and stay comfy in your trailer house.
  • Reply 55 of 55
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:

calm yourself: have a doughnut, watch opra and stay comfy in your trailer house.

Go sit and spin and espouse more trollish and disrespect-able language. It's pathetic. You intentionally went over a couple very crass and uncivilized lines.