Apple's white iPhone 4 appears on track for spring release in AT&T system

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new leak from AT&T's internal system shows a listing for Apple's white iPhone 4, suggesting that the long-delayed handset is on track for its previously announced Spring 2011 launch.

The screenshot of the carrier's internal listings, leaked to Boy Genius Report, found reference to white iPhone 4 models in both 16GB and 32GB capacities. The inclusion has led to speculation that the device could be on track for a "late February or early March" debut.

The listing comes soon after retailer Best Buy also had internal listings for the white iPhone 4. That internal information listed an in-stock date of Feb. 27.

Apple delayed the white iPhone 4 numerous times, with the most recent setback declared in October. It was then that Apple announced that the white model of its bestselling handset will not arrive until Spring 2011.

Spring doesn't officially start until March 20, 2011. If Apple does in fact launch the handset this spring, it would be 9 months after the iPhone 4 debuted in June of 2010.

When it was revealed the white iPhone 4 wouldn't be available for the device's launch, Apple said it would hit the market in July. The company said the handset had proved "more challenging to manufacture than expected," but did not provide further details.

Then, the following month Apple delayed the white iPhone 4 until late 2010. The company again cited manufacturing difficulties.

Though the white version of the iPhone 4 has not made it to market, it has not affected the popularity of the handset, only available in black. Last week Apple revealed that it had sold a record 16.2 million iPhones during the holiday buying period, representing 86 percent year-over-year growth for the handset.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    I am wondering who is still waiting for this?
  • Reply 2 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Not many, I'd wager, but I'm sure Apple will have difficulty meeting demand when they launch all the same. I wonder why Apple hasn't developed a broader range of colors (either in addition to, or in lieu of, the white); a product(RED) version seemed like a given.
  • Reply 3 of 66
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

I would have two of each - black and white - in my family - but had to go with 4 black.

hoping there will be a 4GS or 4S or whatever - this year - so that iPhone 5 can come out next year when my two years is up. remains to be seen whether it will be a compelling upgrade for me.

more likely would be an iPad2 as my next purchase - assuming that comes out this year.
  • Reply 3 of 66
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    I finally got a black one after waiting for 6 months. May be iPhone 5, I will change, unless AT&T is doing free exchange.
  • Reply 5 of 66
    Who's gonna buy one now (or in April) with the next generation undoubtedly being released less than 60 days afterwards?
  • Reply 6 of 66
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    "Though the white version of the iPhone 4 has not made it to market, it has not affected the popularity of the handset, only available in black."
    I am sure it has.
  • Reply 7 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rdjlexky View Post

Who's gonna buy one now (or in April) with the next generation undoubtedly being released less than 60 days afterwards?

maybe the iphone 5G will be announced early along with the white iphone 5G???
  • Reply 8 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nicolbolas View Post

maybe the iphone 5G will be announced early along with the white iphone 5G???

Not a chance.
  • Reply 9 of 66
    If this is a calculated move on Apple's part, it's genius. If it isn't, still genius. Either way, start warming up the Brink's truck, 'cause it's going to be another huge payday for the Fruit.
  • Reply 10 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rdjlexky View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post
    "Though the white version of the iPhone 4 has not made it to market, it has not affected the popularity of the handset, only available in black."
    I am sure it has.

One of you will be correct. Either way, Apple wins/won.
  • Reply 11 of 66
    Apple should just releases the white iPhone 5 in June.
  • Reply 12 of 66
    unicronunicron Posts: 154member
    Like others have said... what's the point at this stage in the iP4's lifecycle? Certainly white is more expensive to manufacture. Why not just stick with black. Make the iP5 in white.

How many people are holding off on an iPhone 4 purchase at this point because of color? How many people could (or would) "upgrade" their black iPhone 4 for a white one? It would certainly have to be out-of-contract pricing.
  • Reply 13 of 66
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Epic fail. Apple should have just let this one go. This just points to total incompetence.
  • Reply 14 of 66
    whozownwhozown Posts: 128member
    Quote:

Ive been waiting this whole time for the white one, i still have a white 3GS. but I've waited this long, im just going to skip iPhone 4 all together and go straight to iPhone 5 in June, HOPEFULLY there will be a white version.
  • Reply 15 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Unicron View Post

Like others have said... what's the point at this stage in the iP4's lifecycle? Certainly white is more expensive to manufacture. Why not just stick with black. Make the iP5 in white.

How many people are holding off on an iPhone 4 purchase at this point because of color? How many people could (or would) "upgrade" their black iPhone 4 for a white one? It would certainly have to be out-of-contract pricing.

When Apple announces a new iphone in June, the prior version still stays on sale for another year. Keep in mind that the entire world does not get the next version immediately either. Therefore, they might as well get the white one on sale as soon as they are ready to manufacture it.
  • Reply 16 of 66
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

Epic fail. Apple should have just let this one go. This just points to total incompetence.

You don't think that "total incompetence" is a bit overboard?

And why should they have let it go if they end up selling them?
  • Reply 17 of 66
    White is so passé.
  • Reply 18 of 66
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

White is so passé.

And it pales in comparison to the black version.
  • Reply 19 of 66
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    I'm curious if there are markets where a white iPhone might have greater acceptance? For instance, would a white iPhone be particularly well-received in Asian markets?
  • Reply 20 of 66
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    It will be very, very interesting to see whether or not the new White iPhones have the new Verizon form factor with the newer antenna.

If they do, mad props to Ireland to calling this one a long, long time ago.