Verizon will offer only $30 unlimited data plan for iPhone 4 users

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A leaked memo from Verizon shows that the carrier will no longer offer its entry-level capped data plan smartphones, requiring new iPhone 4 customers to buy the $30-per-month unlimited offering.

The new pricing, leaked to Engadget, shows that Verizon intends to cease its $15-per-month 150MB data plan. Buyers of new 3G smartphones will be required to pay $29.99 per month for unlimited data allowance.

The change is reportedly set to come as Verizon prepares to offer a CDMA variant of the iPhone 4 to its customers on Feb. 10.

For comparison, AT&T offers an entry-level $15-per-month plan for smartphones that offers 200MB of data. The company's high-end plan, dubbed "DataPro," offers 2GB of capped data for $25 per month.

The leaked information from Verizon shows that the carrier will offer a low-end 75MB plan at a cost of $10 per month. But that option will only be available to "feature phones," which are less powerful than smartphones like the iPhone or those running the Google Android operating system.

When Verizon revealed earlier this month that it would offer Apple's iPhone 4, the carrier declined to offer specifics on data plans. But reports indicated that Verizon intends to offer its unlimited plan, in contrast with AT&T, which only offers capped options.

Still unknown is how much Verizon intends to charge for the personal hotspot feature set to ship with the CDMA iPhone and its unique iOS version of 4.2.5. Currently the carrier offers tethering for $30 per month with a 5GB data cap.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    Why are they trying to spin this as a negative? I have the unlimited $30/mo on my iPhone 4 from ATT and wouldn't want anything different.

I can't stand having capped data that is almost the same price as unlimited.
  • Reply 2 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Giffen View Post

Why are they trying to spin this as a negative? I have the unlimited $30/mo on my iPhone 4 from ATT and wouldn't want anything different.

i have unlimited data and for a long time now the hotspot feature. oh wait, i am using android....
  • Reply 3 of 55
    zarenzaren Posts: 49member
    hoping that with two carriers, someone might be interested in competitive pricing. *sigh* I guess I'm still not worthy of an iPhone, since I can't afford their plans. I guess I"m gonna have to go with Virgin Mobile and $25 a month for unlimited data and 300 minutes of voice on a non-iPhone.
  • Reply 4 of 55
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

oh wait, i am using android....

That's step 1... 11 more to go.

• Reply 5 of 55
    That's a fair deal. I never thought that Verizon would be cheaper, considering their history.
  • Reply 6 of 55
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

I gave up the unlimited to get on the tethering plan - so I could dump my $60 a month notebook card.

I would prefer to have an unlimited plan - or actually now that I have 4 iPhone 4's in the family - I would prefer to have some sort of shared data plan and or roll over data plan.

I have unlimited shared text messaging - and roll over cellular minutes - why can they not do the same with data?

I would guess that Verizon will use the unlimited plan as an incentive to switch - but personally I will not be getting new phones for nearly two years (thanks to contracts etc) so I can wait to see what happens with LTE - and iPhone 5 (or 4GS or whatever they call it in mid to late 2012)

Ooh - they could release it on 21 Dec 2012 and call it the "End of the World Phone" - or better yet - have advertising along the lines of "This is only the Beginning" or a New Beginning at least - since if you put ANY credence into the Mayan calendar business you should know that the Mayan's do not have anything about the world ending but rather about cycles all their calendars were about the cyclical nature of life - and about new beginnings.
  • Reply 7 of 55
    Quote:

Of course it's a negative thing. It took choices away from you. Especially for people like me who has wifi access both at home and at work. Only time I need the data access is on the road. The existing $15/150mb plan suits me and my other family members perfectly. Now I don't think we are going to upgrade our droid phones to iphones any more.
  • Reply 8 of 55
    Agreed! Where would the internet be, or the original iPhone if not for unlimited use? Having people count their data use is restrictive, and narrows the possibilities of the device. Shame on AT&T for dropping unlimited data plans (mine is grandfathered in) and cudos for Verizon for offering it.

Quote:

• Reply 9 of 55
    jcozjcoz Posts: 251member
    Quote:

I think it is a negative.

I had my unlimited for 3 years with ATT and finally gave it up, only to find out I easily fit under the $15 a month plan.

I felt like an idiot for not paying attention sooner.

I think many, many people fit into that category and instead of having an option to pay half as much for data, they are locked into unlimited plans.

Does free tethering and hotspots come with that $30? If so, the 30 is a great deal for those that will use those features.

Still leaves MANY people vastly overpaying for data though.

I don't think many would appreciate the same type of strategy deployed for minutes.....
  • Reply 10 of 55
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I wouldn?t want anything but unlimited either, but that doesn?t mean everyone needs or wants to pay the higher rate associated with unlimited plans. From their PoV it?s surely not a good thing.

Personally, I?m ecstatic that Verizon is offering unlimited data (assuming it?s actually unlimited and not a 5GB soft or hard cap) for the iPhone despite what will surely be my continued use of AT&T. Because of this new info it?s now a little less likely AT&T will continue allowing those who kept their unlimited data plans to still keep them and a little more likely they will again offer unlimited data plans.
  • Reply 11 of 55
    Most users don't want unlimited....too costly. They'd better offer a reduced rate plan.
  • Reply 12 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jcoz View Post

Does free tethering and hotspots come with that $30? If so, the 30 is a great deal for those that will use those features.

The unlimited for $30 doesn?t include tethering, but it does include WiFi hotspots.

You need a capped plan if you want to get tethering from AT&T. The part I think is horrible about their offering is that it costs an additional $20/month for tethering yet it doesn?t offer you any additional data.
  • Reply 13 of 55
    jcozjcoz Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The unlimited for $30 doesn?t include tethering, but it does include WiFi hotspots.

You need a capped plan if you want to get tethering from AT&T. The part I think is horrible about their offering is that it costs an additional $20/month for tethering yet it doesn?t offer you any additional data.

I'm not sure if a companies pricing for a product could make less sense than that...
  • Reply 14 of 55
    I currently have an iPhone with T-mobile, with no data plan at all. I think if someone gave that option, they would get a lot of customers. I use wifi where ever i go and even on those rare situations where data is not available, i don't think it it worth 10,15 or 30 bucks a month just to be able to access the internet...

And secondly, if i was forced to pay 30 bucks a month for data, i would use it ALL THE TIME whether wifi was available or not, just to warrant the cost of it. So i think Verizon is really shooting themselves in the foot and setting themselves up for network issues with this idea. 2gb is alot of data and i am sure 90 percent of iPhone users don't come close to using that much data, but at least it gets them thinking about their usage & opting to use WIFI whenever possible. Seems like the trend has been going toward tiered pricing for data, not away from it, so i don't know how much i believe this article....
  • Reply 15 of 55
    Quote:

Many people want an iPhone, but don't want/need unlimited data. My wife wants an iPhone. She's been waiting for several years for the Verizon iPhone. She wouldn't use more than 150MB per month, so an extra $15 per month ($180/year) is a waste.
  • Reply 16 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herdnerfer View Post

I currently have an iPhone with T-mobile, with no data plan at all. I think if someone gave that option, they would get a lot of customers.

How much does T-Mobile discount phones that don’t have data plans tied to them? The iPhone appears to be subsidized in the range of $300-400. If [Americans] had to pay that additional amount up front just to get an iPod Touch with a phone I’m not sure the sales would be too great. I’m sure some would love it, but not in the quantities seen by AT&T thus far. Still, having the option wouldn’t hurt sales so I say let’s do it.
  • Reply 17 of 55
    whozownwhozown Posts: 128member
    It's a good and a bad thing, it all depends on the average amount of data the individual uses. I'm grandfathered in with unlimited on att. For me it's essential to keep since i use on average 6-9gigs of data a month. What would be great is if they didn't force you to down grade to tether. I commend Verizon for offering unlimited but they definitely should have more options for the users that don't need that much or cant afford it.
  • Reply 18 of 55
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Great. $30 a month is ridiculous, unless they Hotspot is FREE. I was hoping they would have a cheaper, tiered plan in addition. For folks who use lots of data that is fine, I support you all having the unlimited plan. But I use less and therefore I want to pay less. Options are good. I don't understand why they don't also have a tiered plan.
  • Reply 19 of 55
    They should have kept the $15 plan as well.

Most people hardly exceed 100-200MB/month.

So for them, if only the new plan is available, it actually doubles the price. They will be paying for those who more fully use the unlimited plan.

I am all for unlimited plans, but people should realize that US tariffs are silently increasing in this booming market, while, e.g., in Europe, they are rather declining. In Spain you can get 1-2GB for ?10/mo on a prepaid card (Yoigo), or ?15 if you also want voice.

Here in Belgium I pay ?15/500MB (one month).
  • Reply 20 of 55
    It is a negative for me. In fact, this would be a deal-breaker for me. I don't want and can't justify unlimited data, because I am certain I wouldn't use it. I only need a data plan when I am away from home or office, which is not all the time. I am greatly disappointed. I will seriously think about switching to ATT, finally. After waiting 3 years for this moment....... and after 16 years in VZW.