Pixelmator reports $1 million haul from Mac App Store in just 20 days

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

What are you?

Youda is one of the top engineering within the Apple organization.

Look forward to hearing great innovations from a deep insider fo sho.
  • Reply 22 of 52
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Implied View Post

Self-Contained means it can't install any Library Kexts etc. The only thing it can do is install <Insert Name Here>.app in your Applications Folder, no other files.

As a user I am all for this. Software installation has, in the past, been a hazy agreement about what was being installed where and how permanently. It's like being asked out on a blind date at a tattoo parlour.

Applications like Adobe Flash appear to be little more that sugar coated trojans which exists solely to allow advertisers to track your behaviour online.

I'm not going to use it for all my software but the App Store provides peace of mind that if I drop an application into the trash it's gone. Completely.
  • Reply 23 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Whoda Farmer View Post

Does getting banned from forums really do it for you??? That's pretty sad.
  • Reply 24 of 52
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Whoda Farmer View Post

Hey Moderators?? Please do something to flush these clowns out.
  • Reply 25 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

I bet Adobe is scrambling to figure out how to compete in this new marketplace.

I'm sure you're right!

I don't expect Microsoft or Adobe to ever offer their wares in the Mac App Store. It would be like a stake through their heart to give Apple 30% of their revenues, especially since they would have to rewrite the way they use code and lower their prices.

@Implied... Adobe Reader is not worth the pain of use. Mac OS does PDFs just fine. I doubt very seriously you'll ever see it in an Apple App Store.
  • Reply 26 of 52
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

My biggest problem with the mac app store so far is that I cant trust the reviews, everything I have looked at has gotten very good ratings. Leading me to think the early adopters are excited about the process and that's clouding their judgement or there's something shady happening.

My point: I have been looking at purchasing Pixelmator but wanted a review I could trust. I'd love to hear peoples opinion of it.

Then trust your own review

http://www.pixelmator.com/try/

McD
  • Reply 27 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Hey Moderators?? Please do something to flush these clowns out.

Most Surreal AI thread ever...
  • Reply 28 of 52
    Quote:

Self-Contained means it can't install any Library Kexts etc. The only thing it can do is install <Insert Name Here>.app in your Applications Folder, no other files. Its quite stupid, considering that one of Apple's own Softwares is in violation of this, FInal Cut Pro contains User Documents directly in the Boot Drive, and even MSN Messenger has User Data Folders.

Possibly other Applications as well that I'm not aware of.

But if you look neither Final Cut or MSN Messenger are in the Store.
  • Reply 29 of 52
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

But if you look neither Final Cut or MSN Messenger are in the Store.

I'm willing to bet Final Cut Studio 4 will be available in the Mac App Store.
  • Reply 30 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McDave View Post

Then trust your own review

http://www.pixelmator.com/try/

McD

This may be true for Pixelmator, but certainly not for every app. Especially less expensive games. I just hope the reviews even out, thats all. The best ex. I have where I felt dupped by the reviews: The Incedent
  • Reply 31 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

And I'm willing to bet Apple will update FC 4 to comply with their own rules. What will be great is if they will piece out the individual appss like iLife and iWork
  • Reply 32 of 52
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

So, which serial troll was recently banned and has come back as Youda Farmer?

I suspect its the troll formerly known as Blackintosh
  • Reply 33 of 52
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

some other big Mac developers have yet to engage the new online market.

I didn't know McDonald's had an online market.
  • Reply 34 of 52
    Quote:

This is really great to hear. I am pleased that indy developers can get rewarded for their work. It should inspire a new generation of programmers as well.

Specifically regarding Pixelmator...it isn't bad. The UI takes some getting used to. I think Acorn is better and more like Photoshop. If you're a long time Photoshop user, both of these programs have their plusses and minuses.

On the PC side, I have used IrfanView for many years. It seems quite powerful for being Donationware. Anyone know how IrfanView compares to Pixelmator (or Acorn)?? Thx.
  • Reply 35 of 52
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    The Mac is clearly a large untapped market. All that was needed was a way to reach it.
  • Reply 36 of 52
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    I think it's great to note that quality apps are topping the charts. It's an indication that people are expecting computer apps to be high quality and productive.

And congratulations Pixelmator. I'm seriously starting to using Pixelmator as much as possible, and rapidly phasing out Photoshop. Most of the time, Pixelmator is just as good, looks better, quicker interface and all. I believe, over time, Pixelmator will become that real alternative to Photoshop that we (at least I) have been moaning about for years.
  • Reply 37 of 52
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

I'm not sure Final Cut complies with the current rules. Doesn't it install proprietary codecs outside the package and perhaps extra video hardware drivers and stuff all over the system?

The same goes with Logic? It's pretty much a package, but Apple Loops and presets are installed elsewhere, aren't they?

Perhaps the app store can allow apps to move/ install files on first run? As long as they are deleted once the app is removed?
  • Reply 38 of 52
    capnbobcapnbob Posts: 388member
    Quote:

Oh Apple is greedy. If not greedy at the very least Control-Freaks.

Custom Screws on all their Products, overpriced Desktops (For the 3000$ it costs to buy a High-End Quad-Core iMac I can buy a Machine with double the power. USB 3.0 included), no ability to upgrade Hardware minus RAM, sometimes Hard Drives. The MBA is almost entirely soldered for example.

Yeah, not greedy, they just adore overpricing all of their products.

Hey, troll - haven't you got a bridge to guard from unwary travelers?

The "Mac is overpriced" BS has been debunked a thousand times - it is not about components and spec sheets - also, it's too easy to pick on the highest spec, fully optioned iMac. The MBA is very competitive to ultra-light proper laptops (not $hitty Atom-based netbooks)

iPhone (unlocked), iPod are priced at the same as the comparable competitors - Zunes, Evos, Droid X's etc. iPads are demonstrably cheaper than current branded competitors. Samsung, Moto et al are all struggling to even match Apple's prices and when they do it, they don't make much money because their scale and supply chains are much weaker than Apple's.

They all adore competing with Apple
  • Reply 39 of 52
    hexxhexx Posts: 40member
    Quote:

Specifically regarding Pixelmator...it isn't bad. The UI takes some getting used to. I think Acorn is better and more like Photoshop. If you're a long time Photoshop user, both of these programs have their plusses and minuses.

Actually I prefer UI of Pixelmator to PS, although i'm long time PS user (started with version 3) I like fresh and clean UI of Pixelmator.

Shame it doesn't support all fancy stuff from PS (opening certain psds could result in missing effects) but considering it's still only version 1.6.x it's more than capable for most of the web related work.

Of course missing support of CMYK hurts designers in DTP but for web it's more than enough.

Definitely better than GIMP especially UI.
  • Reply 40 of 52
    hexxhexx Posts: 40member
    What I'm still waiting for is Freehand replacement - sorry but Illustrator can't match easy of use of Freehand.

Pixelmator guys could develop something like this, with the same UI and easy of use