Apple poised to beat Microsoft's quarterly profits for first time in 20 years

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    After the success of Windows 95 the general perception was that MS "won" and Apple "lost" the OS battle. Not anymore. Apple has a shot at owning the majority of the mainstream computer market if the iPad keeps growing like it does - software and hardware - the whole darn thing. And these comments are comng from a Windows guy.
  • Reply 22 of 45
    Wow, no mention of Zune? I mean, if we are going to enumerate product categories that Microsoft has totally failed to beat Apple in...
  • Reply 23 of 45
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

IWe'll know that Jobs has stopped treating AppleTV (and our living rooms) as a hobby when he takes Apple's cash mountain and uses it to kick that big dumb oaf of the street by buying up Comcast. And we will all be cheering because, seriously, is there anyone here who doesn't hate his cable provider?

It's not going to happen, this is frankly a parochial issue to the US, Apple's acquisitions have been of companies or technologies which have benefited the global sale of Apple products.

Apple won't acquire Comcast for media either, it already has access to plenty of media thanks to iTunes store.
  • Reply 24 of 45
    The article is based on forecasts. There's a good chance we'll have to wait another 3 months for Apple to go ahead. \
  • Reply 25 of 45
    I wish Apple would release the iWork apps for Windows and sell them for $3.99 a piece or something cheap like that. As long as it reads and writes MS Word file formats, most people would rather buy that then pay for another MS Office upgrade. Apple would make some more money and more importantly, MS would lose most all their Office revenue. That would be a huge hit for MS.

Apple also needs to drop the price of their server software to like nothing. While Apple would take a tiny little hit, MS would take another huge financial hit and lose a lot of their revenue. At some point the financial reports would look so bad, MS would get slaughtered in the press. People would stop buying MS Windows PCs just because they think MS is going down. Software companies would port all their software to Apple afraid they would lose this growing market.

Apple could also position their iOS/iPod touch/iPad as the next operating system for integrated business solutions such as point of sale machines and appliances. These PCs have influenced the sale numbers for years. MS would lose this income stream.

MS would have very little income and they still have a huge overhead. They would have to lay off workers left and right. That would lead to more bad press. MS can go down way faster than people realize. Apple has MS by the nuts. All they have to do is squeeze.
  • Reply 26 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Everyone hopes the AppleTV grows legs but I'm not seeing it so far. Netflix is that thing that is probably driving its sales but an App store for the AppleTV is what will explode its unit volume hence getting the rest of the studios onboard.

What about finally setting up movie rentals in other countries than the US? Man, I want to believe in the Apple TV. Heck, I want to rent movies online instantly. I want an Apple TV, but Apple (and the movie studios, of course) prevent me from seeing the need to actually get one.
  • Reply 27 of 45
    Microsoft upper management are looking in every couch and drawer for lose change to make up the difference. Apple better try again next quarter.
  • Reply 28 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by visionary View Post

most people would rather buy that then pay for another MS Office upgrade.

Do you think people are crazy to buy the Apple suite and then pay for MS Office upgrade anyway?
  • Reply 29 of 45
    I'm an Apple advocate like the next guy here, but I have no problems at all with buying and using Microsoft Office 2011. I even like the suite a lot. I've never bothered using iWork; it never appealed to me. I also have had no trouble buying a legal Windows license for Boot Camp. Hell, Microsoft and Apple are not really rivals anymore. They haven't been for a long time, if you ask me. You can use products from both companies and hate neither, you know?!
  • Reply 30 of 45
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bengt77 View Post

I'm an Apple advocate like the next guy here, but I have no problems at all with buying and using Microsoft Office 2011. I even like the suite a lot. I've never bothered using iWork; it never appealed to me. I also have had no trouble buying a legal Windows license for Boot Camp. Hell, Microsoft and Apple are not really rivals anymore. They haven't been for a long time, if you ask me. You can use products from both companies and hate neither, you know?!

Amen, brother. +1
  • Reply 31 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

The original article makes this boneheaded statement:

Ah, no. Fact checking, anyone?

Yes, that did raise my eyebrow.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    Quote:

What about finally setting up movie rentals in other countries than the US? Man, I want to believe in the Apple TV. Heck, I want to rent movies online instantly. I want an Apple TV, but Apple (and the movie studios, of course) prevent me from seeing the need to actually get one.

I've got an Apple TV here in Hong Kong and I can rent movies and TV shows.

All you need is a US iTunes account, which you can get by buying a US iTunes gift card on eBay, anywhere in the world.

Apple doesn't check IP location. Now, if only Netflix were as easy!
  • Reply 33 of 45
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,646member
    Apple seemingly lost the PC war to windows, but now it has moved the battle to the mobile and tablet market. And it is no battle.

The one with the most mindshare wins. Money helps, too.

Go apple.
  • Reply 34 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Apple seemingly lost the PC war to windows, but now it has moved the battle to the mobile and tablet market. And it is no battle.

The one with the most mindshare wins. Money helps, too.

Go apple.

No, the PC war is far from over. As Apple has shown, and will show even more as the snowball rolls.
  • Reply 35 of 45
    That's what happens when you ignore "rounding errors".
  • Reply 36 of 45
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Another great article by DED. I only recently figured out that all my favorite articles were written by the same guy. I'm your newest fan.

You're a fan because he's right. His

articles may seem "unbalanced", however, mostly because it's a wildly unbalanced situation. Apple has turned the industry on its head. But to extol this point is forbidden, because every laudatory comment about Apple (which even if made offhand and without qualification is probably true nine times out of ten) must be followed by a laudatory comment about the competition, or tech in general, and how lucky we are that the competition is "forcing" Apple to improve, and how many wonderful choices we have from so many talented vendors.

All of which is total busllhit.

Fairness and equanimity for their own sake and purely to appear objective in order to win approval is disingenuous garbage.

DED isn't afraid unmask a situation for what it really is and give credit to those who deserve it, no matter how one-sided it is. Sometimes reality and fortune *are* very one-sided.

Cheers.
  • Reply 37 of 45
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

Microsoft, I remember them. Software company right?

They used to be I seem to recall, now I think they collect rent from stuff they sold a while back.
  • Reply 38 of 45
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Thanks. Now that you?ve posted it I remember. (I woke up today with the flu. It appears to be frying parts of my memory. Cameronj was right last night, I am on edge, I just didn?t know it yet. :)

It?s pretty amazing they have gone from besting their market cap, their revenue and, most likely, their profits all within the 2010 calendar year. A couple years ago I thought it would take many quarters after they topped MS revenue to beat their profit simply because of the differences in HW and SW.

Get well soon. I recall our doc in England (back in the day when they came to your house) recommended sweet hot water and Scotch for flu, (you mix sugar and water and throw it down the drain and drink the Scotch).
  • Reply 39 of 45
    Quote:

Unfortunately, this probably has more to do with the studios than Apple.

Do you get Netflix?
  • Reply 40 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yes, that did raise my eyebrow.

Yes, Mr. Spock -- that is illogical.