Netflix: Apple TV streaming more movies than iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    Quote:

"I'm sure smarter people than us will figure this out, but that's why we say Apple TV a hobby; that's why we use that phrase," Jobs said.

This is a bitch slap to all the stupid people in Hollywood, Comcast, NBC, etc., (i.e., content owners).
  • Reply 22 of 56
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    No surprise people would rather watch a movie on the big screen.

Netflix is a great idea and priced right. I just wish they'd have a category for NEW movies. Meaning the ones that recently were in theaters.

To me, Tom Hanks' Big isn't a new movie, even if only recently offered on NF.
  • Reply 23 of 56
    How about some numbers comparing the install base of Google TV/Apple TV and Netflix.
  • Reply 24 of 56
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bazaarsoft View Post

Apple should let Netflix sign a few more streaming deals with the studios/publishers, then buy them. Then they couldn't stonewall Apple any more like they're doing now. iTunes would be streaming and renting (and subscribing) a lot more video content if the studios/publishers would work with Apple.

Many of the content deals do not allow transferring any licensing. This is what happened when Apple bought Lala - they got the IP but none of the content.
  • Reply 25 of 56
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    Gee, uh, I stream Netflix to my HDTV regularly and I don't even own an ATV.

Edit: I'll add that I'm more hampered by Comcasts 250Gb data cap than anything else. I can easily double that in a month only by streaming Netflix movies. But Comcast is quick to assure that for that much data I can send 100s of 1000s of emails!
  • Reply 26 of 56
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Can you elaborate. For instance, I can rent the third of the Millennium Trilogy, or, say, RED, as of today on iTunes. Neither seems to be available for streaming on Netflix when I just checked.

In what way is Netflix ahead of the curve?

The GIrl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest became available on Netflix last night. I watched it.

What a great series.
  • Reply 27 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

The irritating irony here is that If I wanted to, I could easily steal DVDs sent to my house (with handbrake and the 15 year old technology of DVD burning), yet streaming is much harder for an amateur like myself to steal (if not impossible) ... so what is the hold-up?

I pay ~90 a month for cable internet and I only watch about 2 shows (plus sports, which I would give up) - the wife wants to watch other channels. I'd gladly pay double my nextflix subscription cost to get more movies and current shows (even if they were a month lagged behind or something)

I believe the reason is money... The movie industry makes the most on DVD purchases, then movie tickets, then rentals and lastly pay per view. I think i have that correct.
  • Reply 28 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

The GIrl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest became available on Netflix last night. I watched it.

What a great series.

Have you seen OS117: Nest of spies? It's very funny!
  • Reply 29 of 56
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Within Netflix earnings release, the company noted that Apple TV's support for its Watch Instantly video streaming has already passed up iPad users in viewing hours.

Yea i think im responsible for at least half that.
  • Reply 30 of 56
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

How about some numbers comparing the install base of Google TV/Apple TV and Netflix.

Or better yet, how about AppleTV vs Playstation 3 and Wii?
  • Reply 31 of 56
    Surprising news, indeed.
  • Reply 32 of 56
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,050member
    Quote:

Four peeves with Netflix.

Two, there seems to be no option to fast forward (or rewind).

On an iPad, you just drag the button, on the time bar on the top that shows you how far along you are in the movie, forward or back.

On an Apple TV, the remote forward button gives you the options of three different fast forward speed. I think it only goes backward at a single speed when you hit the back button.

Or you can hit pause on the remote and then hit the down button and the movie time bar is split up into about 20 segments (with time) and you can hit the forward or back button to the segment you want and hit play.

Maybe these don't work that well when you have a slow connection. But i can fast forward a Netflix movie from beginning to end almost instantly on an iPad and in less than 15 seconds with an Apple TV.
  • Reply 33 of 56
    Cable companies are a bunch of monopolistic bastards.

I'm surprised they haven't come down on services like Netflix and AppleTV trying to break into the content delivery business by saying, "and by the way, we'll give you all the TV, pay-per-view, and on-demand channels you want for one low price, but we're going to charge per gigabyte for cable modem service" which I think would be blatantly anticompetitive.

I know they haven't done that yet, but it wouldn't be beneath them to try it.
  • Reply 34 of 56
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    It could be so much more than a hobby if Apple were to give it an App store. Console gaming is still fun.
  • Reply 35 of 56
    If you really want to tap some potential of iOS Apple TV, use Seas0n Pass to jailbreak, then install XBMC, ATV Flash Black, Groovy, and you will see Apple made a huge mistake not doing an Apple TV App Store first, before worrying about a Mac App Store... The new emerging markets are where they should have focused first, IMHO.
  • Reply 36 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

It could be so much more than a hobby if Apple were to give it an App store. Console gaming is still fun.

Maybe they want developers to focus on making new apps for the iPad now, in addition to the bread & butter iPhone/Touch apps..

Once the iPad apps hit 100k to 150k they might release the Apple TV SDK.

Of course this is wild conjecture.
  • Reply 37 of 56
    Quote:

Four peeves with Netflix.

I do find problematic Netflix's lack of ability to allow the movie to be partially downloaded prior to watching. Given that it appears to be a pure streaming service, sometimes, this leads to stuttering (if that's the right word) and freeze-ups. Often happens on Friday nights where I live. I guess a lot of people are online then.

1- I am thinking that you have a very slow Internet connection because once I make my selection, the movie begins to load. If I pause (or view the slider after the movie has started) you can see where it is loading it ahead.

2- Use the slider. Works perfectly. You can fast forward, rewind, jump to any part. It is actually very easy to use.
  • Reply 38 of 56
    envirogenvirog Posts: 188member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sblife View Post

I have 2 ATV's - The older one upstairs (160 gig hard drive) and now the new one hooked to the downstairs big screen. The new one has fantastic streaming abilities! iPads as a remote are amazing - I also like the older one with built-in hard drive . . . Even when computers and TV are off downstairs, I can play content synced onto the hard drive in the bedroom - In my opinion, ATV has a bright future - Go Apple!

I have a similar set-up. I have 3 Apple TV's: 1 in Master Suite (1st Gen), 1 each in daughters room & Family/Media Room (2nd Gen). They do what they were designed to do quite well and the Airplay is just awesome on the (2nd Gen)! Whole house audio, different movies playing at the same time on multiple TV's-all wirelessly. Keep up the good work Apple!
  • Reply 39 of 56
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    I love Netflix on the new AppleTV. That and Airplay make it. I love that so many are HD and stream without any hickups, knows where I left off, keeps a history, recommends for me too. Great documentaries on Netfilx as well.

iTunes - meh. Too expensive and that time window for rental is ridiculous.

I still wish Apple would add Netflix at least to the old AppleTV. It seems odd that if you can stream from iTunes you could also stream from NetFlix on it.

And the new ATV is so much easier to turn off and not thermal.
  • Reply 40 of 56
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Quote:

Three, unlike Youtube, there's no airplay option from the iPad or iPhone.

Why would you need to use Airplay with Netflix when the Netflix App on the ATV does the streaming directly?

Fast forwards and rewind work fine both on my ATV remote and my iPhone.