Gaffe on Apple's German website again hints at white iPhone 4 launch

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
In the latest bit of anecdotal evidence to suggest Apple is finally gearing up to release the white version of the iPhone 4, one of the company's international sites briefly displayed a photo of the device Thursday before it was abruptly pulled.

That's according to TechCrunch, which snapped the below screenshot from Apple's German website before the site was reverted back to referencing only the black model less than 20 minutes later.

For Apple, it's the second false alarm regarding the white iPhone to make headlines in as many days. Early Wednesday morning, a Twitter post attributed to a source often privy to last minute part numbers noted that it "Looks like the white iPhone is finally coming" and that the new models would carry Apple part numbers MC604X/A and MC606X/A for the 16GB and 32GB models, respectively.

Both reports also followed close on the heels of claims that Apple recently partnered with a Japanese company to develop a new white paint material that allows for greater control and precision when it comes to the thickness of the paint layer being applied to the handsets. With this material, Apple has reportedly been able to successfully manufacture white iPhone 4 that meet its high level of standards.

Using earlier painting methods, Apple's attempts to manufacture the white iPhone 4 were said to have resulted in a "huge" number of defective handsets. The percentage was said to be so high that Apple simply could not proceed with manufacturing of the white iPhone 4 until a solution was produced.

As such, Apple last July said it would delay the launch of the white iPhone 4 until later that year, only to follow up those claims with a word of a second delay in October that would reportedly push the models availability out until sometime during the Spring of 2011.

With the influx of recent evidence, which also included internal stock listings at AT&T and Best Buy, it would appear increasingly likely that Apple may be preparing to commence sales of white iPhones on or around the same time that it launches the touch-screen handset on Verizon's network come February 10th.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Götterdämmerung!
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

Götterdämmerung!

I thought you hated the iPhone (white or black) and everything about it? Or do you just not know what the word you used means?
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I thought you hated the iPhone (white or black) and everything about it? Or do you just not know what the word you used means?

I'm assuming he thinks it funny because it sounds vaguely like "god dammit"
  • Reply 4 of 19
    The whole timing of releasing the white iPhone at the same time as the Verizon launch is puzzling. Why would Apple want to complicate the ramp up for CDMA and at the same time potentially have double the number of models for both. It looks to me like it would be a major distraction for a manufacturer trying to make sure they get enough of the black iPhones out the door to satisfy initial demand and sustained demand of the AT&T model. If Apple does not have enough of the CDMA phones to satisfy demand then they will catch all kinds of flack for it - the white phone being a small percentage of total sales.

I would tend to think that delaying an already delayed device a bit longer makes more sense than trying to introduce multiple things at once. (Anyone else remember the multi product release starring MobileMe et al that had Steve back pedaling and re-doubling his efforts to make sure that did not happen again?)
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I don't hate the iPhone- I own one. It's the best smart phone out there. I do think Apple should have never promised a white one as an option last June if they couldn't deliver it until 3 months before iPhone5. Why bother? Why promise something and then keep retracting it for months? Silly.

And Apple changing the screws so you can't change the cover? Petty.

And yes I know what the word means <sarcasm>.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Quote:

And Apple changing the screws so you can't change the cover? Petty.

Deflecting, are we - just a wee bit off topic
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Deflecting, are we - just a wee bit off topic

No just an additional line in my post adressing a direct question.

Not that anybody here ever ever goes off topic.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    The fact that this keep getting so much press really makes Apple-ites look very fanboyish...

I'm not a WP7 fan, but I do like the spin they put on how people are too fixated on their phones...
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Quote:

Not that anybody here ever ever goes off topic.

True
  • Reply 10 of 19
    If that's a German website screenshot, why's the text in English?
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BeyondYourFrontDoor View Post

The fact that this keep getting so much press really makes Apple-ites look very fanboyish...

I'm not a WP7 fan, but I do like the spin they put on how people are too fixated on their phones...

I kind of like those ads, too. At the same time though, it kind of makes me think that maybe their phone isn't that great and that's why people don't look at it as much. Not hating on it, just that the message of the ad isn't entirely positive. Although when that guy drops his phone in the urinal... yuck
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

I... before the site was reverted back to referencing only the black model less than 20 minutes later.

Is there another way to revert, other than back?
  • Reply 13 of 19
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    peek-a-boo
  • Reply 14 of 19
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

.... before it was abruptly pulled.

Deep insider knowledge or just dramatic licence? ;-)

... as I languidly, yet elegantly, segue into work mode kidding myself once again that yes, I can multitask (Bet you couldn't guess from the way my post just kinda stopped)
  • Reply 15 of 19
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john galt View Post

Is there another way to revert, other than back?

You only revert back, but the next bit is what defines to where they reverted. It could have been ...back to showing no iphones, or any other previous state.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    those white iphone pics have been online since yesterday. a german website which reported about it, has one more screenshot - http://appletaliban.com/?p=801
  • Reply 17 of 19
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

The whole timing of releasing the white iPhone at the same time as the Verizon launch is puzzling. Why would Apple want to complicate the ramp up for CDMA and at the same time potentially have double the number of models for both. It looks to me like it would be a major distraction for a manufacturer trying to make sure they get enough of the black iPhones out the door to satisfy initial demand and sustained demand of the AT&T model. If Apple does not have enough of the CDMA phones to satisfy demand then they will catch all kinds of flack for it - the white phone being a small percentage of total sales.)

From recent rumors, the CDMA iPhone will be assembled by a different company (Pegatron) than the GSM iPhone (Foxxconn). It is also noteworthy that the white phones have, so far,only been rumored for the GSM version.

Your question is still interesting since supplies have not matched demand for the black GSM phone. But then, it's possible that Foxxconn has freed up additional capacity. They are also opening a new facility this spring.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    crap i just bought a black one
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

crap i just bought a black one

Get some Wite-Out.