Microsoft ships 2 million Windows Phone 7 handsets in holiday quarter

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by halhiker View Post

They've shipped 2 million and I've yet to see one in the wild.

I have and as much as I wanted to confirm it sucked I was actually quite surprised by the quality. Quality aside though it is the app market that will sell the phone and that is still a big question mark.

I think Apple may finally have some serious competition, though as always I still doubt it will have any chance of de-throaning the iPhone.
  • Reply 82 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

You don't get it. Even if 'they got paid'... this time... if there are unsold phones in carrier's warehouse, there won't be any more orders... next time. Capisce? That's why units sold matters and units shipped doesn't mean shit.

Microsoft got paid all the same. If they were sitting in the warehouse, why did the number go from 1.5 mil shipped to 2.0 mil shipped? Are you going to tell me that carriers are just stupid and want to fill the warehouses with boxes?

Microsoft got paid all the same. In fact they just released the quarterly numbers.....again more profit than Apple. Something is working for them.
  • Reply 83 of 85
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

solipsism, your response is utter nonsense - your statement is totally false. "Sales" is ultimately to endusers, and "shipped" is filling the sales channel, these are two entirely different things. According to what you stated, cars sitting on dealer lots are actually already "sales", but in fact they are unsold inventory. Ultimately, in this scenario, it is only when the ultimate enduser buys the product with that it can be considered sold. MSFT is not being open or forthright in their dissemination of data and is clearly obscuring the real sales numbers to protect their hopeless image.

Let us look at this a different way. Apple recently announced that they sold 7-8 million iPads last quarter.

However, by your logic that is an incorrect statement, and the number needs to be revised downward, because not all of those "sales" were to customers.

A certain percentage of those iPads are inventory in places such as Best Buy, Target, Sam's Club, etc., and they are not in customers' hands. However, Apple books them as a sale, because they get paid by the company when the order is fulfilled.

However, according to your point of view, anything sitting on the show room floor, or in the warehouse is not "sold", and hence Apple is overstating their sales numbers.

I am willing to bet you do not agree with that statement, because it would make Apple's numbers worse than reported.
  • Reply 84 of 85
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

Microsoft got paid all the same. If they were sitting in the warehouse, why did the number go from 1.5 mil shipped to 2.0 mil shipped? Are you going to tell me that carriers are just stupid and want to fill the warehouses with boxes?

I am not saying this is the case but one possibility is that MS made the WP7 phone available in some additional countries, in which case, the 500M units might be channel fill. I can't find the rollout schedule but this is one possible explanation (as is channel reorders). We do have one piece of information that might provide clues: LG has stated publicly that they were disappointed in WP7 sales.

Quote:

Microsoft got paid all the same. In fact they just released the quarterly numbers.....again more profit than Apple. Something is working for them.

Yeah. Software margins between 60 and 70%.
  • Reply 85 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

Yes even got a replacement 3G that had it pre-installed. The updates did make it a tad better, but nothing like 3.x. I could have rolled back but needed multiple Exchange accounts.

It took me 30-60 seconds to bring up texting after I pressed the icon. Maps.....forget about it.

My WP7 has Bing Voice search that is super nice. I guess all WP7's have it?

How did you get a replacement 3G with 4.2 preinstalled? I thought they stopped selling those a long time ago. Long before 4.2 came out, anyway. If it was an ebay phone or something I'd say there was something wrong with it. Anyway, it's good your new phone is better.