Apple hit with class-action suit after girl drops, breaks iPhone 4's glass

Comments

• Reply 61 of 302
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

They do claim this and it's also true.

Unfortunately, if you drop a helicopter on the pavement windscreen first, the windscreen will still break. Try it.

Too funny!
  • Reply 62 of 302
    As to the statistic that says that iphone 4's have a higher incidence of being damaged than the 3GS, one has to be careful about what you are actually observing. Is the issue that once the phone is dropped, it's more likely to break. Or is the issue that the ergonomics and materials on the phone make it simply more likely to drop? It's important to understand which is the case when you're trying to solve the problem. Unfortunately you can't just look at bumpered/cased phones since they affect both scenarios.

I remember when I got my 1G iphone. I dropped it the first week I had it (first week of availability so I pad full retail for the thing). It fell from approx 4.5 ft onto the concrete sidewalk. Needless to say, I was gripping badly until I picked it up and saw that the only damage was a small dent and scuffing on the aluminum on the top corner. I've subsequently dropped that phone a good half dozen times and it has come through with only a few scratches every time. Once my wife actually left her 1G on the roof of my car, when I came to the first stop, I could hear something skittering across the roof and then saw the iphone fly in front of me onto my hood and then onto the roadway. Again, go get it and the only damage is a small dent on the corner. Now that was some awesome engineering. I love the 1G so much I still have both mine and my wifes because I can't bear to get rid of them.
  • Reply 63 of 302
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Actually, the capuccinos and espressos served in McDonalds (in the newer McDs that serve them) are surprisingly good.

Better than the bitter nonsense you get at Starbucks, as far as my palate is concerned.

Better yet get a latte at Dunkin Donuts. Its like liquid crack I tell you.
  • Reply 64 of 302
    Hey, dumb ass! It is glass, and twice as much as on your 3GS. Here's a thought, don't drop it.
  • Reply 65 of 302
    Totally agree with you, but want to clue you into a great new doc that premiered at sundance called "hot coffee" which will completely blow you away. Turns out there is a lot more to that story of the woman who sued mcdonald's - so check it out because if you want to share the truth, it's worth knowing the whole story. http://hotcoffeethemovie.com/

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jingo View Post

Only in America could someone sue another party for a mistake they made and get loads of dosh for it. Reminds me of the person who sued McDonalds because of coffee being hot and won - and countless other such stories. The guy should be ashamed of himself.

• Reply 66 of 302
    jcozjcoz Posts: 251member
    Quote:

Only in America could someone sue another party for a mistake they made and get loads of dosh for it. Reminds me of the person who sued McDonalds because of coffee being hot and won - and countless other such stories. The guy should be ashamed of himself.

What's a dosh?
  • Reply 67 of 302
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gabberattack View Post

What a retard! I can't believe America is no.1 economy while it looks dumbies like this guy are multiplying here.

My house window glass broke after my neighbour's kid accidently kicked the ball in it. I am gonna class action sue window maker because when I had the old window it did not break after I kicked the ball few yeara ago.

What a moron, OMG.

I think you have a good case for that lawsuit. Remembering my own childhood, kicking a ball into the windows counts as "normal use"... like (apparently) dropping your phone 3 feet onto a hard surface.
  • Reply 68 of 302
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:

Actually your grasp of the facts is where the ignorance rests.

The woman you refer to had to have several surgeries just to recuperate from the severe third degree burns she suffered. The reason she won a large award (although it was reduced by an "activist judge" as "excessive," so it didn't even cover her medical expenses) was for punitive damages. Many people (scores, hundreds) had been burned in exactly the same way she was (cheap, flimsy cups not made safe for hot liquids that would fall apart in the hand.) and McDonalds had repeatedly ignored the problem, for years. They also repeatedly ignored well established guidelines for safe serving temperatures for coffee (even after previous law suit required them to change their practices.)

Today when you enjoy a hot coffee in a sturdy cup with a tight fitting lid and a sleeve you take it for granted that a paper cup of coffee was always like it is now. Coffee to go used to come in what amounts to wimpy little dixie cup like you sometimes see at water coolers and it was generally much cooler. You should thank her ever time you enjoy a good, hot coffee, and don't get burned.

[I see now I should have written faster, Manhattanlad.]
  • Reply 69 of 302
    Unbelievable !

Hang on I dropped my glass glasses and they broke, I am suing.

Not only throw out this case, but fine them for wasting other people's time.

I just got an iPhone 4, guess what I immediately got a case for it. End of problem.

Are these people morons are just greedy money hungry p$%*#s ?
  • Reply 70 of 302
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

After taking an engineering law course, I think the coffee one was rather legitimate.

McDonald's instructed their franchises to serve coffee at a higher than industry standard temperature knowing that it could cause 3rd degree burns in under 10 seconds, while (going from memory here) a 3 degree drop in temperature (it might of been higher, but it was definitely less than 10 degrees) would increase the required exposure time to about a minute. The reason they served coffee at a higher temperature was to save money on coffee beans. They had basically determined that it was cheaper to pay for the occasional lawsuit than to lower the temperature the coffee was served at.

McDonalds still serves their fuc%$king coffee too hot to drink. I have to wait 15 mins before it is even sipable. It's rediculous.
  • Reply 71 of 302
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

"20 times stiffer and 30 times harder than plastic," and is "ultradurable" having been made from the same material as the "glass used in helicopters and high-speed trains."

If Apple actually claims this, then they are in trouble.

Look, the fine print with that, and ANYONE who has worked extensively with glass would know from experience, is that glass has critical break points...that isn't at all a technical term.

I have (literally) swung an 8lb sledge into the face of glass, only to have it bounce off and then "tippy tapped" the corner of the same glass to see it completely shatter.

You might say its misleading, but they probably have some fine print somewhere detailing the natural weak points of glass and are referring to the face.

My .02
  • Reply 72 of 302
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HoneyBear View Post

McDonalds still serves their fuc%$king coffee too hot to drink. I have to wait 15 mins before it is even sipable. It's rediculous.

Maybe you should sue them, its worked before.............or maybe just ask for an ice cube or two in your effing coffee.

If its not too much trouble.
  • Reply 73 of 302
    berpberp Posts: 136member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

while I do think the lawsuit is stupid, I also think building a mobile phone out of glass is quite stupid too. Maybe they did it with the intention of making the back a multi-touch surface too, which is fair enough but it's too vulnerable to breakage. They use plastic camera lenses, I'm sure they could do the same with the back.

It's a case of the glass overreacting to the brittle nature of the daughter's temperament.

She being a chip off the old block, the Court will dismiss the case on the basis of father/daughter genetic abusive predicament, leaving ample room for Google countersuing the father for copyright infringement.
  • Reply 74 of 302
    My helicopter fared better, but it still wasn't in perfect shape.

I think I'll sue.
  • Reply 75 of 302
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

The phone is a mobile device. One might argue that it should be able to withstand the incidents of its normal use. It is not a remote possibliity that a mobile phone might be dropped, or even knocked out of the user's hand.

No previous phone was created substantially from glass and there's probably a very good reason why. glass breaks.

Being a mobile device you shouldn't have to treat the thing with kid gloves. You shouldnt be negligent with it either but that's another matter.

My first impression with the iPhone 4 was that i was afraid to hold it. It was my friends and it felt quite slippery and it's shape made me feel like it might escape my grasp at any time.

It's a beautiful device. No doubt about it. But its use case suggests that perhaps different materials should have been used.

Should i get one - i am still on contract - it will be first time i consider a case for a phone.

I completely agree. A mobile phone is going to get dropped. You walk around with it all day, every day. Anyone who says they're never dropped their phone is a minority.

And by Apple's own design, iPhone 4 is a slippery little bastard made out of glass. I always get rubber cases for my phones so that I won't drop them. Out of the box, iphone4 is an accident waiting to happen.
  • Reply 76 of 302
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jcoz View Post

What's a dosh?

It means he thinks lawsuits are like ATM machines -- you just push the button and money comes out.

It also means he doesn't know what he's talking about.
  • Reply 77 of 302
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
  • Reply 78 of 302
    This is Apple. The company who fights off lawsuits from the big boys. I doubt seriously that this will go anywhere. Umm, snowballs chance...
  • Reply 79 of 302
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

I think you have a good case for that lawsuit. Remembering my own childhood, kicking a ball into the windows counts as "normal use"... like (apparently) dropping your phone 3 feet onto a hard surface.

Kicking Ballmer (in the balls) because of Windows also counts as "normal use".
  • Reply 80 of 302
    Quote:

As an American, I totally agree with your first sentence. Civil litigation has been the name of the game for lawyers trying to pay back their student loans for years.

However, and this observation is subject to scrutiny, the old lady in the McD case actually was quite badly scalded when the lid of her coffee popped open at the drivethru window. It turns out that McD pinches every penny and in this case, passes steam & water (over 212°) through coffee grounds since it is well known that the hotter the water & vapor, the less coffee is needed to get roughly the same case. That coffee was not what you get from a coffee urn at Denny's (or at home) and she deserved something more than a simply "sorry 'bout that, lady" from the drivethru drone.