Adobe prepping "Creative Suite 5.5 Digital Publishing? for iOS, Android development

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Adobe appears poised to rush to market a new bundle of Creative Suite applications ahead of CS6 that it hopes will solidify its Flash and Air technology as an alternative platform for developers looking to capitalize on the booming market for iOS and Android-based cell phone and tablet applications.

The new suite, which will reportedly be marketed as "Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 Digital Publishing" suite, will showcase a new version of its "Packager for iPhone" application that will include support for not only Apple's iPhone, but also the iPad and the new crop of Android tablets, incorporating popular touch gestures like "Pinch."

As it stands, Packager for iPhone is a feature of Adobe Flash Professional CS5 software and the Adobe AIR SDK 2.0.1, which offers Flash developers a fast and efficient method to port existing code from ActionScript 3 projects to deliver native applications on iOS devices.

AppleInsider can independently corroborate claims that Adobe is feverishly working on a high profile CS 5.5 bundle that will land ahead of CS 6.0. While researching the features of Adobe Creative Suite 6.0 (1, 2) that were published last week, people familiar with Adobe's plans provided evidence of the aforementioned "Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 Digital Publishing" suite by noting that the software maker had recently begun beta testing Adobe Flash Professional 5.5.

The new version of the Flash development application, which can be seen in the screenshot below, will reportedly usher in the new version of Adobe's "Packager for iPhone" tool. It's also expected to be accompanied by Adobe Flash Catalyst CS 5.5, which documentation describes as an "interaction design tool" for development teams that will deliver new features such as robust team workflows, live application design, full designer participation in development workflow, and deployment for web, desktop and mobile devices.

A screenshot of Adobe Flash Professional CS 5.5 build 11.5.0.260 | Source: AppleInsider

The CS 5.5 Digital Publishing suite will also reportedly support the ePub (or electronic publishing) 3.0 standard in InDesign 5.5 while bundling updates to other popular CS apps such as Dreamweaver, which is similarly expected to offer direct export of digital content.

It's believed that Adobe began work on CS 5.5 Digital Publishing suite in earnest after a bitter feud between Apple and Adobe ended in September with the iPhone maker overturning a ban that had previously prevented intermediary development tools like Flash from serving as an alternative to its iOS SDK as a development platform for its mobile devices.

The change came just weeks after evidence surfaced that the U.S. Federal Trade Commission was looking into a complaint filed by Adobe over Apple's all-inclusive banning of Flash from its iOS devices.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    and let the Adobe bashing start... now:
  • Reply 2 of 64
    About as exciting as a new version of Office. Some tools we need but we don't really want. More bloatware shoved at us with little concern for performance or stability IMHO.
  • Reply 3 of 64
    Is this an attempt to get Adobe's product look a bit more Mac-like or is it just some sort of skin or theme installed on a Windoze box or Parallels/VMware?

P.S. Is that Sears Flash or REAL Flash? - my apologies in advance to any offended Zappa fan (Camarillo Brillo). I know for a fact that it is not a real poncho
  • Reply 4 of 64
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allmypeople View Post

Can someone explain to me why it's better for us, users, to see the continued existence of Flash?

It's not. It's only better for lazy web developers and Adobe.
  • Reply 5 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Adobe appears poised to rush to market a new bundle of Creative Suite applications ahead of CS6 that it hopes will solidify its Flash and Air technology as an alternative platform for developers looking to capitalize on the booming market for iOS and Android-based cell phone and tablet applications. ...

Am I the only one that can't even keep track of Adobe's product portfolio anymore? They have so many irons in the fire it's hard to know what all the things they make even do or which tool to pick for a particular job.
  • Reply 6 of 64
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I am happy Adobe are working hard, however I wish Apple would release some products for web designer development with the ease of iWeb and Pages that created HTML5 compliant code that output full browser and iOS versions. How about a new iWeb Pro?
  • Reply 7 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Am I the only one that can't even keep track of Adobe's product portfolio anymore? They have so many irons in the fire it's hard to know what all the things they make even do or which tool to pick for a particular job.

I'd agree, just scanning through everything I have from Adobe I use one app on a regular bases, the rest I either only need rarely or for accepting files from others or I simply haven't had time to learn them. I don't think I'll be upgrading anymore other than for Photoshop.
  • Reply 8 of 64
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    When is Adobe going to release Dreamweaver for iPad? There are no WYSIWYG web design platforms on iPad that I know of. This seems to be a big opportunity.
  • Reply 9 of 64
    Quote:

I actually love Adobe products. PS and AE the most.

What I don't understand is flash.

I recently bought a Macbook Pro to act as the mobility my Mac Pro lacks. It's a wonderful little machine but when flash is running (in chrome, safari or firefox) it becomes almost unusable. It's horrible. I won't even get into battery life.

I'm not a programmer. I'm a bit of a tech-geek. I love Apple but love lots of different tech companies...

Can someone explain to me why it's better for us, users, to see the continued existence of Flash?

I just don't get it.

You probably already have but if not install clicktoflash. It is a lifesaver for MBPs. I also use Little Snitch and deny tons of connections from web sites (e.g. Time) to connect to sites associated with macromedia sites (weird eh?).
  • Reply 10 of 64
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Habañero View Post

and let the Adobe bashing start... now:

I don't blame Adobe for releasing the tools.

Let the bashing of developers who think they are going to rush cheap and ugly flash ports into the iOS store begin.

Or let the bashing of developers whining in public when their crap apps are rejected by Apple begin.

That's why I thought the way Apple lifted the ban was brilliant. They shifted the focus to what matters - "we don't care what tools you use to produce iOS apps, they just can't suck!"

Let the games begin!
  • Reply 11 of 64
    Quote:

I'm not a programmer. I'm a bit of a tech-geek. I love Apple but love lots of different tech companies...

I just don't get it.

I just don't get why people complain so much about Flash. For end users, it provides an unmatched combination of animation, vector graphics and interactivity that simply is not available via a single alternative method. It is supported by the vast majority of web browsers in use today, which means that if you view Flash content in Safari on OS X, it will look identical to Firefox on Windows. This is not possible with HTML, as it's down to the browser and the operating system to determine how things like fonts are rendered.

Something that is often overlooked by the Apple Flash hate gang is the complexity of implementing animation and graphics in HTML5's canvas compared to Flash. Flash as an authoring tool is perfect for designers and allows them to easily implement animations - place the objects on the screen and use the timeline to animate freely.

In HTML5, you need to write code to do this. In general (and in many organisations), artists can't write code and coders can't create good looking artwork or animations. It's therefore not possible for a great Flash designer to transition to using HTML5 unless a company comes along and creates a new piece of software that can output HTML code from a timeline-based designer.
  • Reply 12 of 64
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

I just don't get why people complain so much about Flash.

The only good Flash experience is on Windows.

That's and lots of annoying web sites are done in flash because of many of the "easy" things you point out, but to be fair a lack of taste or common sense isn't really Adobe's problem.

But the sucky performance of Flash on anything but Windows is. I think Adobe got lazy and figured Windows would be the top dog forever and it's now biting them in the ass big time.
  • Reply 13 of 64
    You Flash bashers just don't seem to get the big picture!

Mobile platforms need developers in big numbers and as loyal as the IOS developers.

IOS has about 150K+ developers now. Flash has 5 Million, yes 5 MILLION developers (OK pseudo-developers). Now, think ahead for a minute, think business and outside of the little "I-hate-bloated -Flash world you live in. If an IDE that has 5 million loyal users can be re-tooled and leveraged to develop for the mobile environment, it is pure Gold, a license to print money. Wether you like it or not, its business as usual and it will succeed with Google, Motorola and Intel behind Adobe. Apple loosened the license for a reason. Do you think it was that they were afraid of another lawsuit? They are smart enough to not be left out in the cold when the Flash development tidal wave happens.

The new Flash Player shown at Adobe MAX was incredible, so, you will be able to get rid of ClicktoCrash in the near future. Wiseup, Flash will be bigger than it ever was before. It is naive not to believe this.
  • Reply 14 of 64
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

...In HTML5, you need to write code to do this. In general (and in many organisations), artists can't write code and coders can't create good looking artwork or animations. It's therefore not possible for a great Flash designer to transition to using HTML5 unless a company comes along and creates a new piece of software that can output HTML code from a timeline-based designer.

Sounds like a business opportunity!

I have been avoiding creating flash artwork ever since I started doing a healthy proportion of my web browsing on iPhones & iPads. RIgnoring the politics of it, with IE9 approaching, HTML5 with the Canvas element is the true cross-browser, cross platform technique. Fonts can now be used as well via several methods.

I'm not a Flash hater (and certainly not an Adobe hater! Long Live InDesign, Illustrator & Photoshop!!!), but I certainly would prefer an alternative development environment that spit out code to make Flash-type content work in a Canvas element.
  • Reply 15 of 64
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Apple will release one before Adobe would.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

When is Adobe going to release Dreamweaver for iPad? There are no WYSIWYG web design platforms on iPad that I know of. This seems to be a big opportunity.

• Reply 16 of 64
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraBuggy View Post

You Flash bashers just don't seem to get the big picture!

Mobile platforms need developers in big numbers and as loyal as the IOS developers.

IOS has about 150K+ developers now. Flash has 5 Million, yes 5 MILLION developers (OK pseudo-developers). Now, think ahead for a minute, think business and outside of the little "I-hate-bloated -Flash world you live in. If an IDE that has 5 million loyal users can be re-tooled and leveraged to develop for the mobile environment, it is pure Gold, a license to print money. Wether you like it or not, its business as usual and it will succeed with Google, Motorola and Intel behind Adobe. Apple loosened the license for a reason. Do you think it was that they were afraid of another lawsuit? They are smart enough to not be left out in the cold when the Flash development tidal wave happens.

The new Flash Player shown at Adobe MAX was incredible, so, you will be able to get rid of ClicktoCrash in the near future. Wiseup, Flash will be bigger than it ever was before. It is naive not to believe this.

You may be right. Flash could become relevant again if it cleans up its act.

I do question your thinking in characterizing the developers being in the driver's seat. This is partly where Microsoft started driving into the ditch. Isn't there a video out there of Ballmer at a conference jumping up and down screaming 'Developers' at the top of his lungs? Thought I remembered seeing that once. Anyway, my point is that Apple's success of late has come from putting the end-user in the driver's seat. These days a developer who refuses to work in IOS is going to lose customers. Business organizations are suggestion that business owners avoid proprietary web technologies and stick with web standards when building their webs presence. I submit that the company that makes the best HTML5, Javascript & CSS authoring environment will win over the successful developers of the future (IE: the developers who's work performs on ALL platforms). Right now that means Flash is not in the running.
  • Reply 17 of 64
    You can already export to ePub format from InDesign. This information isn't quite up to speed.
  • Reply 18 of 64
    frankiefrankie Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I am happy Adobe are working hard, however I wish Apple would release some products for web designer development with the ease of iWeb and Pages that created HTML5 compliant code that output full browser and iOS versions. How about a new iWeb Pro?

Man I totally agree. I've been saying that for a couple years now.

Why doesn't Apple make iWeb Pro? That could be awesome!!!
  • Reply 19 of 64
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    It will be interesting to see what Adobe charges for 5.5
  • Reply 20 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

It will be interesting to see what Adobe charges for 5.5

This is what I would like to know.