Source: SD Card slot on Apple's next-gen iPad just a rumor

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 75
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    @wizard69,

Adding to d-range comment, think of the features Apple hasn't added to their products even though they would be inexpensive, benefit some users, and have been a commonly expressed desire on tech forums.

I hope you get your wish as it doesn't affect me negatively in any way but I don't think your argument is reasonable as stated. That doesn't mean I don't think they will add an SD card slot, but I have seen no circumstantial evidence that tells me it's a likely addition.

PS: They added SD card slots to the Macs a couple years ago, after SDXC was ratified (right?), but well after SD card slots were commonplace. So why didn't they add it to first iPad if they have seen SD card slots as a necessity for cameras for a couple years?
  • Reply 62 of 75
    I find the headline amusing "SD Card slot...just a rumor" because, at what point did AppleInsider and other sites take it to be fact??? I hope we aren't reporting rumor as fact.
  • Reply 63 of 75
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Fifth; maybe you come upon a crime scene and find that you are the first there to be able to upload the blood spattered images to the net.

Yep, that's the most persuasive argument yet for an SD card slot
  • Reply 64 of 75
    You people will believe anything!
  • Reply 65 of 75
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BallmerSteve View Post

You people will believe anything!

Do you really believe that?
  • Reply 66 of 75
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Erm... Im sorry but I thought IT WAS ALL RUMOURS !!!!!

Non story, again!
  • Reply 67 of 75
    jb510jb510 Posts: 129member
    I'm holding out hope there will be an SD card slot (even though my camera's are CF meaning I'd rather see USB).

I'm guessing there will be:

iPad - standard res screen and no SD card slot

iPad Pro - double res screen and SD card slot

Of course maybe it not SD card... maybe it's USB 3....
  • Reply 68 of 75
    I don't buy it. I haven't seen a case for the current iPad that has a hole for the SD card, so why would new case makers start doing that now?

Obviously everyone wants the skinny on the new iPad but I'm of the opinion at the moment that everyone is clueless. Those cases could be for earlier editions of the product, or even early additions of the original iPad. And even if they are correct, exactly WHAT does a hole in a case tell you? Next to nothing.
  • Reply 69 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

I don't buy it. I haven't seen a case for the current iPad that has a hole for the SD card, so why would new case makers start doing that now?

Likely because the current iPad doesn't have an SD card slot.
  • Reply 70 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

very unlikely apple would add an sd card slot, then they won't be able to control sales of their higher flash size ipads, who would buy an 128 gb top of the line ipad, if you can stick an sd card to the lowest gb ipad for extra storage. Unless they cripple it to only photos say.

Because internal memory and external memory are for different purposes and the largest internal capacity would still be the highest potential storage for the device. It'd already be a high end product and would continue to be with or without and SD slot. I for one won't be buying an iPad until it has one. Seems like a no-brainer feature to me.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

And also how do you manage storage from an external sd card with no visible files system so to speak of, how do you manage an sd card slot without a finder? They could always make an app to access it and have anything there open up in it's respective app when touched...but that's a very un-apple way of doing things.

iTunes finds the music and videos, Photos finds the photos, iWork apps find the documents. Really not complicated in a world of suffixes/extensions.
  • Reply 71 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

@wizard69,

Adding to d-range comment, think of the features Apple hasn't added to their products even though they would be inexpensive, benefit some users, and have been a commonly expressed desire on tech forums.

I hope you get your wish as it doesn't affect me negatively in any way but I don't think your argument is reasonable as stated. That doesn't mean I don't think they will add an SD card slot, but I have seen no circumstantial evidence that tells me it's a likely addition.

PS: They added SD card slots to the Macs a couple years ago, after SDXC was ratified (right?), but well after SD card slots were commonplace. So why didn't they add it to first iPad if they have seen SD card slots as a necessity for cameras for a couple years?

Because you need to see if the product will be worth buying without it before adding cost-raising non-essential features.
  • Reply 72 of 75
    I think the only thing most existing and potential iPad customers care about is screen resolution. We've seen how much the retina display improves the iPhone. It may not be possible to put that many pixels on an iPad, but it should certainly be possible to increase pixel density.

Adding a camera, while appreciated, may not be enough to tempt people to buy iPad 2. Apple has got into a habit of trying to get its customers to upgrade our iPhones, iPods, and Macs annually. When the revised model is a significant step beyond the old one, we'll do it. But as we spend more and more of our cash on Apple products, the bar for replacement gets higher. Can we all go on upgrading our Apple products on a regular basis indefinitely? I'm not sure we can.

As for an SD card slot, I think a USB slot may be more important. Whatever slots are made available, being able to copy, save and access files may require a fairly substantial rethink for iOS. Indeed, file creation and access is likely to drive conversion between OSX and iOS at least in terms of GUI.
  • Reply 73 of 75
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

*facepalm - the lost art of hyperbole.

Man this forum is getting dry and literal lately.

Don't worry... most of us were with you right after "ADB..."
  • Reply 74 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DougMcNerd View Post

I really don't see Apple adding an SD card slot. I don't think it's what most people want. I haven't touched an SD card in about 5 years. There is just no benefit for most users. No way!

Dude are you kidding? Most users don't want an SD slot? What planet are you living on? Since when is having a lack of options a good thing? I suppose most users don't want removable batteries too? Oh wait...