Apple's share of tablet market slides to 77%, Android rises to 22%

Comments

• Reply 61 of 108
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Those Galaxy Tab numbers look HUGE given what the device is (even if that's just devices shipped). I'd love to see it broken down by territory. I suspect it was a big seller in Korea and Korea only.

EDIT: I didn't see page 2 of this discussion before posting. The article should be updated since it says "sales" and not shipped. As it stands it's completely false. Apple likely still has 90+% market share and it sounds like Samsung has a lot of Tabs in inventory that aren't going anywhere.
  • Reply 62 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pennywse View Post

OMG ... the world is coming to an end!

Relax. Apple isn't selling any fewer iPads. The numbers are a ratio of Apple to Android tablets. The ratio is bound to change as more Android tablets reach the market.
  • Reply 63 of 108
    Not only that, but they are confusing 'shipped' with 'sold'. Apple sells the majority of it's products directly to consumers, either through it's stores or website.

Everybody else goes through regular distribution channels.

And right now, those channels are stuffed to the gills with Android tablets.
  • Reply 64 of 108
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Turley Muller View Post

You missed his point. He is raising the issue of shipments versus sales to end-users, or sell-through. Samsung has never giving figures for sell-through, yet Apple gives both. In the case of Samsung, it's a very important point since all Samsung's sales are to resellers opposed to Apple's direct sales.

The Galaxy Tab is available in 100 countries on 200+ carriers. Therefore, most of the 2M units was just channel fill, no real evidence of strong-sell though. The resellers might have to take a bath if they can't sell off their stock. There is already evidence this might be happening due to the recent price cuts for the Samsung Tablet.

In short, Samsung could report 2M unit sales without a single one being purchased by a end consumer.

That is unfortunately true and the news media and blogs almost always report the numbers as if the products are in the end user's hands when it is possible that most is sitting in inventory somewhere. The media seldom attempts to verify how many of the number reported as sold have actually been sold to end users.
  • Reply 65 of 108
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    We have to undertand the problems the media has. If they ask questions that are too pointed, and that suggest that the company is lying, or concealing what is happening because it would reflect poorly on the company, the reporter might never again be allowed to ask a question, or be asked to an event. That may extend to the media outlet they work for. So they have to be careful in what they ask, and how they phrase their questions.
  • Reply 66 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Samsung 'sold' 2 million? Where's the evidence? (Please don't post links to stories saying 'shipped.')

Samsung just admitted during their quarterly report press onference that the December 1-million number and the January 2-million number did not represent actual "sales" but "shipments" to telcos and retailers. They even admitted that actual sales were "quite small."

So much for the basis for the entire analysis...
  • Reply 67 of 108
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

We have to undertand the problems the media has. If they ask questions that are too pointed, and that suggest that the company is lying, or concealing what is happening because it would reflect poorly on the company, the reporter might never again be allowed to ask a question, or be asked to an event. That may extend to the media outlet they work for. So they have to be careful in what they ask, and how they phrase their questions.

Well, except that if most of the media hadn't become spineless sycophants, none of them would have this problem. The tough questions would get asked, and answered, because companies and politicians wouldn't have the option to just call on the guys lobbing softballs. Imagine if reporters had cowered like they do today at the time of Watergate. But, yes, a big part of the problem is that there really isn't any independent media left in this country.
  • Reply 68 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, except that if most of the media hadn't become spineless sycophants, none of them would have this problem. The tough questions would get asked, and answered, because companies and politicians wouldn't have the option to just call on the guys lobbing softballs. Imagine if reporters had cowered like they do today at the time of Watergate. But, yes, a big part of the problem is that there really isn't any independent media left in this country.

And I'm sure that in the company you work for, you're always the first to jump in with major criticisms, in meetings, of the way the boss is running things.
  • Reply 69 of 108
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    The APple sales are also channel sales, people. Except that Apple sales had 2-3 weeks channel only. The channel for Samsung ( the amount left unsold divided by sales per day) is probably way higher. That wasn't asked, I am guessing.
  • Reply 70 of 108
    I call bullsh*t on these numbers. Talk to any salesperson at an electronics store (best buy, etc) they'll tell you apple outsells this galaxy tab 50 to 1.
  • Reply 71 of 108
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Apparently, the Samsung numbers are fake: http://www.ankleskater.com/pagemaker...20110131144100. See also http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2011/01/...od=rss_WSJBlog

Take away these fake sales, Apple is over 90% in market share again.
  • Reply 72 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

The APple sales are also channel sales, people. Except that Apple sales had 2-3 weeks channel only. The channel for Samsung ( the amount left unsold divided by sales per day) is probably way higher. That wasn't asked, I am guessing.

Apple has said numerous times that they count sales as those in the users hands.
  • Reply 73 of 108
    Quote:

And I'm sure that in the company you work for, you're always the first to jump in with major criticisms, in meetings, of the way the boss is running things.

Your analogy is invalid, unless you think the reporters work for the companies and politicians they are reporting on. (Well, in some cases they do, but there are almost always other reporters present who don't) But, yes, I am usually the first to jump in with criticisms at work when I think we're making a mistake. And you're right, it doesn't always win you points with the boss and doesn't necessarily lead to job security.
  • Reply 74 of 108
    Update: It is important to note that these figures reflect shipments into the sales channels, as is typically reported by manufacturers, not necessarily sales to consumers. And as reported by The Wall Street Journal, many of the Samsung Galaxy Tab units that make up the lion's share of Android's numbers for the quarter may not have made it into consumers' hands.

In early December, Samsung announced it had sold 1 million, declaring that sales were going "faster than expected." Then, in early January, Samsung announced sales of 2 million.

But during the company's quarterly earnings call on Friday, a Samsung executive revealed those figures don't represent actual sales to consumers. Instead, they are the number of Galaxy Tab devices that Samsung has shipped to wireless companies and retailers around the world since product's formal introduction in late September.

Pressed by an analyst at an investment bank, the Samsung executive, Lee Young-hee, acknowledged that sales to consumers were "quite small," though she didn't give a specific number.
  • Reply 75 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Your analogy is invalid, unless you think the reporters work for the companies and politicians they are reporting on. (Well, in some cases they do, but there are almost always other reporters present who don't) But, yes, I am usually the first to jump in with criticisms at work when I think we're making a mistake. And you're right, it doesn't always win you points with the boss and doesn't necessarily lead to job security.

It's that last sentence I'm referring to. Unless all news outlets get together and agree to ask the same tough questions at the same event, it ain't gonna happen. while I'm sure you offer some criticism of what's happening in your company. You would never ask the boss anything really embarrassing. You certainly wouldn't ask something that would lead to his, or her getting angry.

I had a policy in my companies that encouraged criticisms, but people are afraid to say much.
  • Reply 76 of 108
    People, please, before posting the same thing almost everyone else just posted, read a page or so back. Enough people are reporting the same thing here to sink a ship.
  • Reply 77 of 108
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Apple has always stated the number of units sold and then immediately afterwards gives the number remaining in the channel.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThisIsMike View Post

Update: It is important to note that these figures reflect shipments into the sales channels, as is typically reported by manufacturers, not necessarily sales to consumers. And as reported by The Wall Street Journal, many of the Samsung Galaxy Tab units that make up the lion's share of Android's numbers for the quarter may not have made it into consumers' hands.

Shhh. Don't tell the fAndroids that!

Makes you wonder though how many Android phones are actually in the channel vs. in users' hands? None of them sell direct to customers, most go through a carrier, so the only true metric would be those from the carriers.
  • Reply 78 of 108
    Quote:

It's that last sentence I'm referring to. Unless all news outlets get together and agree to ask the same tough questions at the same event, it ain't gonna happen. while I'm sure you offer some criticism of what's happening in your company. You would never ask the boss anything really embarrassing. You certainly wouldn't ask something that would lead to his, or her getting angry.

Well, I can't claim I intended to make certain past bosses angry, but...
  • Reply 79 of 108
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2011/01/...od=rss_WSJBlog

Only because it can not be repeated enough. This entire story is based on a lie. They have sold almost none.
  • Reply 80 of 108
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

So, exactly how many Tabs have been sold? 100 thousand? 200 thousand? 500 thousand?

This looks like MS's way of giving numbers for WP7 sales. No actual sales numbers, just numbers of those in the channel, waiting to be sold. Never a good sign.

Actually Microsoft's numbers are even more off base than these. At least Samsung has actually shipped a product, Microsoft counts licenses sold. And that's all that really matters to Microsoft anyway.