Can't sync movies to my iphone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
It used to work fine, but suddenly more than half of my movies won't sync. I tried to fix where it says to convert to iphone format, but I just get an audio file, no video.

I have these videos on my hard drive, they are in mp4 format, I just don't get it. It worked when I had the pc, but since I got my imac most of my movies won't sync. Any other suggestions out there?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,224moderator
    It sometimes depends on how they were encoded. If you have Quicktime Pro, you can fix them by exporting as MP4 with passthrough options. It's not a good idea to re-encode them but you can use Handbrake to do this if you have to. Just pick the source file and choose one of the compatible presets.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It sometimes depends on how they were encoded. If you have Quicktime Pro, you can fix them by exporting as MP4 with passthrough options. It's not a good idea to re-encode them but you can use Handbrake to do this if you have to. Just pick the source file and choose one of the compatible presets.

I opened a movie in Quicktime and clicked export to Itunes, it is converting it and right now says it is going to take 15 hours. I don't think I have Quicktime Pro. If I get that will it be a quicker process?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,224moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satorifound View Post

I opened a movie in Quicktime and clicked export to Itunes, it is converting it and right now says it is going to take 15 hours. I don't think I have Quicktime Pro. If I get that will it be a quicker process?

It depends entirely on the machine you have but on an Intel dual-core, a 90 minute movie will convert in about 15-30 minutes using MP4. H.264 takes twice as long as basic MP4, just make sure to use a higher bitrate with the latter. A passthrough with Quicktime Pro just takes seconds as you aren't encoding anything, it just reformats the data streams in a new container.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It depends entirely on the machine you have but on an Intel dual-core, a 90 minute movie will convert in about 15-30 minutes using MP4. H.264 takes twice as long as basic MP4, just make sure to use a higher bitrate with the latter. A passthrough with Quicktime Pro just takes seconds as you aren't encoding anything, it just reformats the data streams in a new container.

Well, poop. This machine is a dual core. Don't know why it says 12 hours right now...