Google Android counts include rival Chinese variants

Comments

• Reply 21 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LarryV View Post

People would take your article more seriously if you didn't start it with an outright lie. Samsung did no such thing and in fact every major news organization thst posted such are posting retractions as the "quite small" was proven wrong. So the 2 millions of Galaxy Tabs sold is actually as correct as Apple's numbers as they both report numbers of tablets shipped to stores not tablets sold to customers. In fact since Apple said that inventory grew by 525,000 iPads for the quarter and they have 4-6 weeks of iPad inventory, then that would mean that Apple actually sold between 2.5 million and 3.7 million iPads less than they reported as being shipped to stores. So in fact, the news that the Apple friendly media has not reported yet is the dismal showing of the iPad and the fact that iPad inventory is running at record high.

Mmm....

Ship dates for iPhone 4 just went from 24 hrs to 3-5 business days...

I guess the channel isn't so stuffed as you assume.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...mco=OTY2ODA2OQ
  • Reply 22 of 105
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

People would take your article more seriously if you didn't start it with an outright lie. Samsung did no such thing and in fact every major news organization thst posted such are posting retractions as the "quite small" was proven wrong. So the 2 millions of Galaxy Tabs sold is actually as correct as Apple's numbers as they both report numbers of tablets shipped to stores not tablets sold to customers. In fact since Apple said that inventory grew by 525,000 iPads for the quarter and they have 4-6 weeks of iPad inventory, then that would mean that Apple actually sold between 2.5 million and 3.7 million iPads less than they reported as being shipped to stores. So in fact, the news that the Apple friendly media has not reported yet is the dismal showing of the iPad and the fact that iPad inventory is running at record high.

Actually, neither is right. Have you ever noticed that people will often say what they mean the first time, and then if it proves unpopular, or somehow embarrassing, they say that they didn't mean that at all? It looks as though that's what happened with Samsung.

Your numbers for Apple is quite a stretch though. Apple, unlike Samsung, reports sales to consumers, not what's in the channel when they say "sold". Cook was quite clear on this point during the analysts call. They call it "sell through". Apple also discusses product in the channel, and they do it explicitly. There is no confusing the two.

But you're really trolling, aren't you?
  • Reply 23 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dualaub2006 View Post

Its no less humorous there but not one site that I go to is as obsessed with the iPhone to the extent that DED is with Android.

I've seen plenty of it. android fanboys are, if anything, worse than Apple fanboys.
  • Reply 24 of 105
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:

So what other aliases do you hide under Mr. One-post drive-by Troll?
  • Reply 25 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Your attempted clever retort would appear to make no sense.

I don't see whatever it is that you think you see in this chart or the report itself, although the way you've worded it, it's hard to figure out what you are actually asserting here.

Had you actually tried to click the link he posted you would have seen the the actual canalys report. In it it says:

"Shipments of Android-based smart phones reached 32.9 million"

In the table later on they use the number of 33.3 million (400,000 higher than 32.9 million) with an asterisk next to the Google name. And the Asterisk says:

"NOTE: The Google numbers in THIS TABLE relate to Android, as well as the OMS and Tapas platform variants" (emphasis mine)

I think that this is self explanatory but if someone thinks differently then they better have a link other than the canalys link above that clearly shows a hell of a lot more OMS and Tapas phones than Canalys shows. Otherwise I would say that the author of the article has not done his due diligence...TWICE. Which clearly makes the article worthless...
  • Reply 26 of 105
    Why do apple fantards give such a big deal out of this article? As what they always brag about, it's not about the market share. So why don't they just leave Android alone? Is it because they're jealous that Android stole the iphone's popularity away from them?

No matter how this article twist and turn the results, the truth is still clear. Android is simply becoming a more popular device no matter if Apple fans hate it.
  • Reply 27 of 105
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    I use google search and maps on all my computers. Do they count as Android?
  • Reply 28 of 105
    archosarchos Posts: 152member
    Quote:

Yes Apple's channel is ~ 2-3 million iPads. But that channel is selling through to consumers! It's not like that inventory magically erases every quarter. It was counted once three quarters ago.

During the last quarter, Apple sold though +7 million iPads and is gearing up to sell something like 30-50 million more this year, with very few being returned. Samsung has yet to post two quarters, so we don't know if any will sell through. We do know that returns are very high 13% to now 16%! And there's a fire sale going on. AND they're subsidized! So no, Samsung is not doing well, and Android isn't taking off in tablets at all.

That's the lie.
  • Reply 29 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Actually, neither is right. Have you ever noticed that people will often say what they mean the first time, and then if it proves unpopular, or somehow embarrassing, they say that they didn't mean that at all? It looks as though that's what happened with Samsung.

Your numbers for Apple is quite a stretch though. Apple, unlike Samsung, reports sales to consumers, not what's in the channel when they say "sold". Cook was quite clear on this point during the analysts call. They call it "sell through". Apple also discusses product in the channel, and they do it explicitly. There is no confusing the two.

But you're really trolling, aren't you?

Except that Samsung never said that, even to begin with. Here is actually a recording of the CC. http://aod.teletogether.com/sec/20110128/eng.asp
  • Reply 30 of 105
    ltmpltmp Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitWrangler View Post

I think sciwiz's point was that in the text of the article, when they explicitly say "Android", they give a number of 32.9 million. In the chart, where it says "Google", the footnote says that Google includes Android, OMS, and Tapas. Therefore, if you assume that their choice of wording was explicit, then one can deduce that the 33.3 Google number (Android and variants) is a combination of the Android "only" number from the text (32.9 mil) + the variants (the difference between the two).

Actually, they give a figure of 33.3 million phones for a 32.9% market share.
  • Reply 31 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sciwiz View Post

Sorry to burst your bubble, DED. The numbers are already in the Canalyis report, if you read it carefully.

Check the text of the report. http://www.canalys.com/pr/2011/r2011013.html

Also, see the number in the image, 33.3 million

So, with a little math: 33.3 - 32.9 miilion = 400,000 Chinese variants.

Where did you get 32.9 million? I see that it is 32.9% share. It is 33.3 mil shipped. Oh, did see the article saying Google shipped 32.9 mil. It is still unclear how that happen to ring in 32.9 % share, too. It is odd that these chinese phone company only sold 400,000 units for a population so great as china. I think Canalys need to clarify its results.
  • Reply 32 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archos View Post

Yes Apple's channel is ~ 2-3 million iPads. But that channel is selling through to consumers! It's not like that inventory magically erases every quarter. It was counted once three quarters ago.

During the last quarter, Apple sold though +7 million iPads and is gearing up to sell something like 30-50 million more this year, with very few being returned. Samsung has yet to post two quarters, so we don't know if any will sell through. We do know that returns are very high 13% to now 16%! And there's a fire sale going on. AND they're subsidized! So no, Samsung is not doing well, and Android isn't taking off in tablets at all.

That's the lie.

If Samsung can sell 2 million tablets and take a 20% market share from Apple in just 2 months, using Froyo 2.2, an OS that even Google said it was not meant for tablets, then imagine what the flood of Honeycomb Tablets will do to Apple. So I can see why the Apple people are trying to throw as much FUD as they can in this. Cause the fact is that Honeycomb will be introduced tomorrow with a flood of incredibly powerful and capable Android Tablets with an OS that was meant for tablets, start shipping this month. My prediction is that Android Tablets will have more than 50% market share by end of the year. The demand for Honeycomb tablets is just plain massive.
  • Reply 33 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yodaxl7 View Post

Where did you get 32.9 million? I see that it is 32.9% share. It is 33.3 mil shipped.

It's in the canalys report. Clink the link to the canalys report:

http://www.canalys.com/pr/2011/r2011013.html

The first reply to the original post had it in there as well. That was his whole point that started a thread of 20 other useless posts. Are you telling me that you did not even understand the original post? Geez people...
  • Reply 34 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lemuelinchrist View Post

Why do apple fantards give such a big deal out of this article? As what they always brag about, it's not about the market share. So why don't they just leave Android alone? Is it because they're jealous that Android stole the iphone's popularity away from them?

No matter how this article twist and turn the results, the truth is still clear. Android is simply becoming a more popular device no matter if Apple fans hate it.

So why are trolls such as yourself coming here? This apparently bothers you a lot.
  • Reply 35 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

So why are trolls such as yourself coming here? This apparently bothers you a lot.

So you'd rather go through life knowing what you read is true when in fact is false and can be proven as such?? Geez people... it's just phones, not your life. I think both sides have taking this way too seriously. And there is no reason in posting lies to make a point. Try and point at the good things that the iPhone and iPad can do rather than trying to badmouth the other side with lies and false information.
  • Reply 36 of 105
    Quote:

The demand for Honeycomb tablets is just plain massive.

What "massive" demand??? Oh.. do you mean from the vocal, small minority of tech-heads, geeks, apple-haters, and the media that feeds on attaching "iOS-killer" to anything to garner web-hits?

Face it... with all the phantom-figures being admitted, we'll just have to call this "Androidgate"
  • Reply 37 of 105
    Quote:

So you'd rather go through life knowing what you read is true when in fact is false and can be proven as such?? Geez people... it's just phones, not your life. I think both sides have taking this way too seriously. And there is no reason in posting lies to make a point. Try and point at the good things that the iPhone and iPad can do rather than trying to badmouth the other side with lies and false information.

Fine. Report to post #20 for inner-reflection on bad-mouthing and lies.
  • Reply 38 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dualaub2006 View Post

Its no less humorous there but not one site that I go to is as obsessed with the iPhone to the extent that DED is with Android.

I'm curious what scientific methodology did you use to measure the degree of DED's obsessiveness with andriod to determine it is more than of those sites are with iPhone?

Or is it just your personal feeling against him spurred out such statement?
  • Reply 39 of 105
    Quote:

I think that this is self explanatory but if someone thinks differently then they better have a link other than the canalys link above that clearly shows a hell of a lot more OMS and Tapas phones than Canalys shows. Otherwise I would say that the author of the article has not done his due diligence...TWICE. Which clearly makes the article worthless...

Hi Larry.

Daniel Eran Dilger has some great insight into how Apple brings together various technologies, but an unfortunate strong bias which clouds articles. Often subtle bias too which is more dangerous as it sneaks in . Of course, readers and big fans of anything won't notice bias towards their subject as much.

When I read an article here I class it into 3 groups

1) General AppleInsider - good stuff

2) DED article about some new Apple technology - good stuff, just be careful about assumptions

3) DED article about Apple competitor problems - read this elsewhere, as my own bias inclines me to believe some of these, and that doesn't help me understand and advise people! (even when an iPad IS better than a Galaxy Tab)

The site is good. This author is very smart and comes up with some connections others don't make. The bias is just really annoying.

Such is life!
  • Reply 40 of 105
    Quote:

If Samsung can sell 2 million tablets and take a 20% market share from Apple in just 2 months, using Froyo 2.2, an OS that even Google said it was not meant for tablets, then imagine what the flood of Honeycomb Tablets will do to Apple. So I can see why the Apple people are trying to throw as much FUD as they can in this. Cause the fact is that Honeycomb will be introduced tomorrow with a flood of incredibly powerful and capable Android Tablets with an OS that was meant for tablets, start shipping this month. My prediction is that Android Tablets will have more than 50% market share by end of the year. The demand for Honeycomb tablets is just plain massive.

Samsung selling 2mil tabs to end consumers is a flat out lie. Keep hallucinating all you like. Honeycomb tablets can't do anything to apple without one product shipping so what you're talking now is plain BS until they ship and are proven to have a "massive demand".

They don't generate a massive demand just because your saying it does. Get your head straight dude.