Verizon offering 3 a.m. Eastern Feb. 3 iPhone preorder to all existing customers

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mynameisjoe View Post

Looks like I'm last to bid. I'll go with one minute Bob...I mean Drew.

Always a shrewd manuver. Kudos.

• Reply 42 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

We're not talking about Apple's countdowns, and no, Apple does NOT use Flash for them.

Yeah but the point is surely that if verizon is so committed to apple and iPhone why are they still using flash, especially for sites specifically about the iPhone. Seems like a little miscommunication there.
  • Reply 43 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whatisgoingon View Post

Meanwhile, back at AT&T, management isn't worried about customers switching from them to Verizon. Not because their customers are happy with their service, but because they have them under long-term contract, with insanely high contract termination fees.

The contract cancellation fee for iPhones is $325 minus $10 for every month of contract you completed. Even if you completed a couple of months of the contract, you can easily pay for the cancellation fee by selling your phone (gazelle.com was offering $420 for an iPhone 4 in excellent condition, so selling it privately would fetch you more than that, I am sure) and can even use some of the leftover cash to help you pay for your Verizon iPhone.

I see many people doing that.
  • Reply 44 of 60
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Regarding the counter-Adobe Flash is modern- for Windows PCs, not just Macs. The majority of folk on Verizon who do not have an iPhone by now 3.5 years later are basically PC people not Mac fanatics.
  • Reply 45 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) I predict a slowdown, but I don?t expect pre-orders to be out of service the way AT&T?s pre-order service was last year. My reasoning: Verizon is in a position that it has to maintain a feeling of ?reliability? even if that means paying way too much money for a temporary rush of new customers come February 3rd at 3AM EDT.

2) I think they will reach their pre-order limit before 9am EDT. A whole 6 hours.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

1. A server meltdown is most likely to happen.

2. They will reach the limit of their preorders in one day or two.

Mah predikshions

Really? That quick? Please excuse my ignorance, but what happened with the release of the iPhone 4 on AT&T? Thanks for any input.

S
  • Reply 46 of 60
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sicjoy View Post

Really? That quick? Please excuse my ignorance, but what happened with the release of the iPhone 4 on AT&T? Thanks for any input.

Here are a few links regarding last year’s pre-order on AT&T…

15-JUNE-2010: 16-JUNE-2010: So the pre-order for the AT&T started at midnight PDT, or 3AM EDT and by the afternoon they sold out despite the issues with their system allowing everyone to order efficiently and effectively. As I recall it took me a couple hours to secure my order and I started at the start time.

On top of that the initial order could very well exceed AT&T’s initial pre-order simply because the demand for the iPhone has increased since last Summer. Despite what some people think the iPhone demand is growing and most people don’t care about only buying a product when it’s brand new, otherwise the linked chart (below) would have Q4 having more sales than other qaurter, which hasn’t happened with the last two iPhone releases. The only thing going for Verizon will be a supply of the CDMA iPhone will not have to be split among 4 other countries’ carriers for the initial launch. Unfortunately for Verizon, Apple is still making the GSM iPhone so i hope that this new Foxconn factory is in full swing to service Verizon’s needs.

Welcome to the forum.
  • Reply 47 of 60
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Feb 3rd is the first day of Chinese New Year, by the way.
  • Reply 48 of 60
    Are there actually people dumb enough, and lame enough, that they are going to worry about ordering a stupid phone at three in the morning? This has got to be one of the saddest commentaries on the maturity of supposed adults that I have ever seen...

And oh, yeah. Unless you are a fourteen year old girl, you don't use "smilies"
  • Reply 49 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eZorro View Post

Like many others, I have been waiting for years for this. But I have some questions that I am hoping someone can answer.

1. I know the i4 will run on the Verizon 3G network, but will the upcoming i5 run on the 4G? That would be worth waiting for, would it not?

There should be a summer upgrade of the iPhone but it may not include 4G systems on either AT&T or Verizon, or it may include both, or be two separate models. If you live in a city currently with Verizon 4G service, it may be worth waiting, but it is not that big of deal otherwise.

Quote:

2. If I get an i4 now, when the i5 comes out, can I get one of those for someone who is on my Verizon family plan and is eligible for a new phone, and then trade phones with them, and get Verizon to swap phone numbers?

The Verizon i4 timing is a little weird; seems like it would have made more sense for the Apple and V to wait until the i5 was ready.

I expect you can indeed buy for an eligible family member and switch numbers, but you may have to go to a Verizon store to do it. I went in to do this for the iPhone 4 and the AT&T counter girl, said no need to bother you can upgrade early. So I got the iPhone 4 ($199) with an extension of my contract and my son got my old 3GS and transferred over his old number for little upfront cost (might have been $15) or contract commitment. Note: I had checked online prior to going to the store and I was not listed as eligible for an upgrade.

If the new phones come out in July this gives Apple and Verizon 5 months to work out the kinks in supply and demand and networking. They also make a lot of money during those 5 months. The CDMA phones will also be targeted at other markets which may not go 4G for a while.

My prediction based on previous use of Version on-line services to buy phones is that the servers will go down about 3:01 AM.
  • Reply 50 of 60
    Quote:

Are there actually people dumb enough, and lame enough, that they are going to worry about ordering a stupid phone at three in the morning? This has got to be one of the saddest commentaries on the maturity of supposed adults that I have ever seen...

If you want one of the first iPhone 4 for Verizon, I expect you will want to order at 3 AM, and expect it to take several hours. I personally do not have an issue waiting a while to order, but if it is anything like the AT&T launch the times for phones to be delivered may be on the order of a week or two several months after launch. Will there be any phones left to order at 9 AM? Nobody really knows it depends on how many Apple pre-built and what demand is.
  • Reply 51 of 60
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

Well, Mr. GrumpyPants, there will be people "dumb enough" and "lame enough". Here's how it works: enthusiasts and geeks will be hammering the Verizon preorders from 3am. The working schmoes will try to get in early before going off to work around 6am or 7am. The unwashed masses will flood in at 9am plus (those at work or anyone at home). Total chaos will ensue around 10am. By 12pm the well will start to run dry and by 3pm it will be http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGytDsqkQY8 T_T ^_^ :-]
  • Reply 52 of 60
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Are there actually people dumb enough, and lame enough, that they are going to worry about ordering a stupid phone at three in the morning? This has got to be one of the saddest commentaries on the maturity of supposed adults that I have ever seen…

So what time is the proper time someone should pre-order? Be clear because we don’t want to be pathetic in your eyes. Surely if you think 3am is for dumb and lame people then there are clear times when it’s no longer dumb or lame.

I also love how people who are up at 3am are pathetic in your eyes. Would they be less dumb to wait until noon the next day when they should be sleeping due to their “graveyard shift” schedule to place the order? Would that satisfy your narrow view of what you think all adults in society should do?

Quote:

And oh, yeah. Unless you are a fourteen year old girl, you don't use “smilies”

Not this crap again! You have a lot of strange prejudices. The next natural step is for you to tell us how women shouldn’t have the right to vote, how “whites”and “non-whites” should be segregated, and how homosexual unions have destroyed the sanctity of marriage.
  • Reply 53 of 60
    Quote:

Here are a few links regarding last year?s pre-order on AT&T? So the pre-order for the AT&T started at midnight PDT, or 3AM EDT and by the afternoon they sold out despite the issues with their system allowing everyone to order efficiently and effectively. As I recall it took me a couple hours to secure my order and I started at the start time.

On top of that the initial order could very well exceed AT&T?s initial pre-order simply because the demand for the iPhone has increased since last Summer. Despite what some people think the iPhone demand is growing and most people don?t care about only buying a product when it?s brand new, otherwise the linked chart (below) would have Q4 having more sales than other qaurter, which hasn?t happened with the last two iPhone releases. The only thing going for Verizon will be a supply of the CDMA iPhone will not have to be split among 4 other countries? carriers for the initial launch. Unfortunately for Verizon, Apple is still making the GSM iPhone so i hope that this new Foxconn factory is in full swing to service Verizon?s needs.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the links, info, and welcome to the forum.
  • Reply 54 of 60
    Quote:

So what time is the proper time someone should pre-order? Be clear because we don?t want to be pathetic in your eyes. Surely if you think 3am is for dumb and lame people then there are clear times when it?s no longer dumb or lame.

I also love how people who are up at 3am are pathetic in your eyes. Would they be less dumb to wait until noon the next day when they should be sleeping due to their ?graveyard shift? schedule to place the order? Would that satisfy your narrow view of what you think all adults in society should do?

Not this crap again! You have a lot of strange prejudices. The next natural step is for you to tell us how women shouldn?t have the right to vote, how ?whites?and ?non-whites? should be segregated, and how homosexual unions have destroyed the sanctity of marriage.

Yet he takes the time to post on a forum. It seems that some people spend all of their time on forums chastising people. It usually means that they have little power in their real lives and this is the only place they can vent that frustration....... here's little smiley face and I ain't 14
  • Reply 55 of 60
    Quote:

I don't know if you know what irony is but you employed it quite well.
  • Reply 56 of 60
    Quote:

Ah, too bad, a grouchy post. Uncommon on this site, which is a reason I recently joined it. I would post a smiley if I knew how.

It is kind of lame huh? But I might do it. I have been waiting 3 plus years for this moment. As an Apple fan from way, way back -- I must have purchased 40 Macs in my life, for home and office, and at least ten iPods -- this has been hard to take! To not be able to buy one of their best products ever. The worst case of delayed satisfaction since I was...oh.....14.....
  • Reply 57 of 60
    Welcome, Verizon fans. Your lives just got better.
  • Reply 58 of 60
    Does anyone know for sure if the pre-orders are going to be done on apple.com as well as verizon.com? If so what time do you think it will start? When does Apple normally send out the emails with the information, because Verizon has already sent theirs but nothing form Apple. This is my first time going through a pre-order process and not to sure how this is going to play out. Thanks for your help.
  • Reply 59 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brownta View Post

Does anyone know for sure if the pre-orders are going to be done on apple.com as well as verizon.com? If so what time do you think it will start? When does Apple normally send out the emails with the information, because Verizon has already sent theirs but nothing form Apple. This is my first time going through a pre-order process and not to sure how this is going to play out. Thanks for your help.

I'm just guessing off the cuff here, but I think there will be no pre-orders on Apple.com. Probably when the official launch happens on Feb 10 Apple.com will be updated to allow online purchase for both AT&T and Verizon.
  • Reply 60 of 60