Comments

• Reply 101 of 108
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 102 of 108
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Since everyone else but apple sells to carriers it's rather hard to get sales from Samsung.

The tab is nice if there wasn't an ipad. All the upcoming tablets are also kinda hit or miss.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4138/t...nds-on-roundup

Asus Transformer is announced for release in April, alongside Asus Slider.

That will be the first Android tablet that I find worth checking out. If specs are correct (10.1" IPS panel, 1280x800 resolution, Tegra 2, 2 webcams, Android 3.0, 8 hours of battery life, 16 hours with add-on keyboard dock, USB and HDMI ports, 1GB RAM, 16 - 64GB SSD) this might be very nice device.

I will be looking at iPad 2 as well, but to be honest - for 10" screen size device, I'd like to have full web experience, including Flash. I'm still OK with not having Flash on my iPhone - screen is too small for almost anything but simple text browsing - but since I've seen how Flash rich site (like Subaru.co.nz) work on my colleague's Samsung Galaxy S phone with Android 2.2, I definitely want same functionality from my tablet; for me, iPad 2 would have to dramatically overshadow Asus Transformer in some ways in order to cover for (expected) lack of Flash.

End of March is my birthday, so I will be postponing my present until I check both Transformer and iPad 2. Exciting times.
  • Reply 103 of 108
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ryszard View Post

Samsung just admitted during their quarterly report press onference that the December 1-million number and the January 2-million number did not represent actual "sales" but "shipments" to telcos and retailers. They even admitted that actual sales were "quite small."

So much for the basis for the entire analysis...

Yep. They can get away with the statement (sort of) because how the whole retrial game works is that the stores buy the product and then turn around and sell it to the end user, they have certain deals regarding prices etc. And then att the end of some preset time, the deal may or may not let the return the unsold product for a refund. At those were actual sales. But not at the same level as Apple since like 90% of Apple product sales are at their own stores and thus direct to the user.
  • Reply 104 of 108
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Trust? In what sense? Companies care about sales and profits.

Trust as in:

"We indemnify our product doesn't contain IP someone is going to sue the hell out of you for".

and

"We have a defensive patent portfolio that neither Apple nor Oracle is about to mess with by coming after our handset makers"

and

"We just bought an assload of licenses for patents from various folks including PalmSource. We'll pay off the more substantial patent trolls so you don't have to"

This would give me more confidence that the boys aren't just swinging unprotected in the breeze even if they are made out of brass.

In any case, you ignored the primary point. Android handset makers have no choice except WP7 and Android. The only folks with options are RIM, Nokia and HP. Nokia is taking quite a beating from all sides though so their option sucks just as bad as going with WP7 or Android. RIM isn't looking all THAT much better and they gotta still be kicking themselves for screwing up the Palm purchase.
  • Reply 105 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kube View Post

This is just stupid.

When you create a market, and have 100%, and the market is an overwhelming success because of your creation, of course your 'market share' is going to slide. That's not failure, its part of success.

Failure would be decreasing sales, not percent of market. As far as I can tell, Apple is selling every tablet they can produce.

Well said. Failure would be if nobody followed Apple's lead into the tablet market and Apple had 100% of the niche market to themselves. I particularly love how Microsoft has been saying, "but...but...we've been doing Windows tablets since Windows 3.1! Somebody pay attention to us!"
  • Reply 106 of 108
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

Trust as in:

"We indemnify our product doesn't contain IP someone is going to sue the hell out of you for".

and

"We have a defensive patent portfolio that neither Apple nor Oracle is about to mess with by coming after our handset makers"

and

"We just bought an assload of licenses for patents from various folks including PalmSource. We'll pay off the more substantial patent trolls so you don't have to"

This would give me more confidence that the boys aren't just swinging unprotected in the breeze even if they are made out of brass.

In any case, you ignored the primary point. Android handset makers have no choice except WP7 and Android. The only folks with options are RIM, Nokia and HP. Nokia is taking quite a beating from all sides though so their option sucks just as bad as going with WP7 or Android. RIM isn't looking all THAT much better and they gotta still be kicking themselves for screwing up the Palm purchase.

So essentially no company can be trusted.
  • Reply 107 of 108
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

So essentially no company can be trusted.

Given that those examples are from MS vs Google I have no clue as to why you would make that statement other than to be deliberately thick.

You ask about my word choice and I explain it. Then you dismiss the explanation with a one liner. That's nice jackassery.

The fact remains that:

a) those companies have little to no choice but to use Android or MS since they are largely unable to develop their own mobile OS.

b) MS has gone out of it's way to protect handset makers from IP issues and Google has not.
  • Reply 108 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

That is called early adopters. There is no evidence that Android for tablets is taking off. They have yet to release a real tablet OS and we have yet to see if there will be developer support for the platform.

true, so if these early numbers are even close to being somewhat accurate, one can only assume once google releases it;s tablet OS that's when we'll really see it take off as it's android based smartphones has shown. There is indeed a large support from developers for it.

Things should get real interesting in the next 2 or so years, it'll be good for consumers though!