Verizon customers can preorder iPhone 4 on Thurs., Apple confirms

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple has reminded the 94 million existing Verizon Wireless customers that they will have an exclusive opportunity to preorder the new iPhone 4 starting Thursday.

Apple issued a press release Wednesday noting that the CDMA variant of the iPhone 4 will be available on Feb. 3 through the Apple online store, as well as Verizon's store at verizonwireless.com/iphone. Orders will be fulfilled on a first come, first served basis "due to high demand," the company noted.

Apple's press release makes no mention of the initial time of availability on Thursday, though Verizon revealed that information over the weekend with a countdown clock on its site. The preorders will begin at 3 a.m. Eastern, midnight Pacific, making sales available to customers of all continental U.S. timezones on the advertised Feb. 3 start date.

On Wednesday, Feb., 9, all qualified customers will be able to order an iPhone 4 on Verizon through the Apple online store for delivery, or reserve for in-store pick-up beginning Feb. 10.

The Verizon iPhone will be available to all qualified customers at 7 a.m. local time on Thursday, Feb. 10. The new CDMA handset will also be available at more than 2,000 Verizon Wireless Communication Stores across the U.S.

Verizon held a press conference in January to announce that it had secured a deal with Apple to sell the iPhone 4. Apple is building a new version of the handset with a CDMA radio inside, making the phone compatible with Verizon, the largest wireless provider in the U.S.

Apple has steadily prepared for the launch of the Verizon iPhone 4, with an iTunes update and iOS software download released for compatibility with the new device. For its part, Verizon has said that it is prepared for the iPhone 4 launch, and believes its network will be able to handle an influx of new smartphone owners.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    It will be interesting to see how the systems work, this will be the first indication of Verizon's support for this kind of volume.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    kuthkuth Posts: 6member
    I hope I don't sound ignorant, but does anyone know when can I have this phone in my hand?

If I pre-order on the 3rd (at 3 freakin AM!!!) then when will I get it? Can I drive to a store to pick it up? If it can only be shipped, do I get it in a week in which case i should have just waited until the 10th like the rest of the world.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    We have several people here at work already giving up their current phones to get the Verizon iPhone. I don't think one of them will like it though due to piss poor notifications and calendar snoozing. I am sure there are calendar apps that do it better though.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kuth View Post

I hope I don't sound ignorant, but does anyone know when can I have this phone in my hand?

If I pre-order on the 3rd (at 3 freakin AM!!!) then when will I get it? Can I drive to a store to pick it up? If it can only be shipped, do I get it in a week in which case i should have just waited until the 10th like the rest of the world.

Do what's most convenient for you. There is no way to know the fastest way to get it, in the past with previous iPhones, I think it's been a mixed bag as to which gets gets it to you the soonest.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    kuthkuth Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Do what's most convenient for you. There is no way to know the fastest way to get it, in the past with previous iPhones, I think it's been a mixed bag as to which gets gets it to you the soonest.

Thank for the reply,

So there hasn't been anything official regarding an early in store pickup?
  • Reply 6 of 28
    Quote:

Thank for the reply,

So there hasn't been anything official regarding an early in store pickup?

Don't quote me as the official answer, but I thought I read that people who pre-order the phone will get it on or before February 10th. I've never read anything about early in-store pick-up for the Verizon iPhone so I don't think that is on the table.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    gotwakegotwake Posts: 115member
    Quote:

I stopped by the Verizon store yesterday. According to them, you can preorder on the 3rd, pickup on the 10th. It just gives Verizon customers a place closer to the front of the the line. But, you never know with this stuff. If it is anything like AT&T's launches, it will be a cluster.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    REally want to know

1)will white iphone be available ? if not tonight when?

2)will one year plan be available? if so, what will be the price?

I really want to order but only if one year plan is available...
  • Reply 9 of 28
    Feb 10: Verizon Users Finally Get iPhones

Feb 11: Verizon Network Sucks Now Too

(from editorial cartoon in local paper)
  • Reply 10 of 28
    Anyone know if the 30 day return policy applies if we preorder from Apple as opposed to Verizon which has 14 days?

(just in case the white one comes out within 30 days of the 10th)
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Feb 10: Verizon Users Finally Get iPhones

Feb 11: Verizon Network Sucks Now Too

(from editorial cartoon in local paper)

Funny, but unlikely. Though Verizon has not launched anything as big as the iPhone, no one ever complained about issues during the Droid rollouts. There will probably be activation delays related to iTunes, but that would not be related completely to Verizon.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Does anyone else find that "thank you" ad to be corny on an absurd level?
  • Reply 13 of 28
    iPhone 4 with unlimited data or iPhone 5 with potentially limited data or future LTE iPhone. Choices ugg!
  • Reply 14 of 28
    Quote:

It will be available on the 10th. Regardless of whether you ship or pick up. But if you are already on Verizon do not wait until the 10th. The preorders could sell out your area and you'd end up having to go even longer.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    -cj--cj- Posts: 58member
    I'm really curious to see what the data charges are going to be. They haven't been published yet, have they? Also wondering if there will be an extra charge for using the device as a hot spot.

I can't imagine pre-ordering without knowing what the monthly fees are going to be.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    I'm pretty sure there's a mandatory $30 all-you-can-eat Data charge for every iPhone and the hot-spot charge will be $20 per/month with a seperate limit of 2GB.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Does anyone else find that "thank you" ad to be corny on an absurd level?

Apologize, but what thank you ad?
  • Reply 18 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by syvalley View Post

I'm pretty sure there's a mandatory $30 all-you-can-eat Data charge for every iPhone and the hot-spot charge will be $20 per/month with a seperate limit of 2GB.

+1. There is info on other threads about this.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    With another carrier offering the iPhone, there will be more App Store Customers. Thats why I got into the development business. I wonder if Verizon's network is as strong as they say they are.

btw if you wanna get into the app development business with an App Idea you have go to http://IdeaApps2Cash.com
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -cj- View Post

I'm really curious to see what the data charges are going to be. They haven't been published yet, have they? Also wondering if there will be an extra charge for using the device as a hot spot.

I can't imagine pre-ordering without knowing what the monthly fees are going to be.

Verizon Data Plans: 150MB = $15, Unlimited = $30

Verizon has indicated that the Unlimited plan might cease to exist in the future.

They have not announced a fee for tethering (creating a hot spot).