Citing "unprecedented demand" for iPhone, Verizon urges employees to wait to buy

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
In anticipation of "unprecedented demand" that could outstrip the initial supply of CDMA iPhone 4s, Verizon Wireless has sent a corporate memo strongly urging its employees to hold off on buying the handset for themselves and their families "for the time being."

?Customers and non-customers alike have waited for years to see this product on America?s most reliable wireless network. Demand will be unprecedented," wrote Verizon Wireless Chief Operating Officer John Stratton in an email sent to "U.S.-Based Management Employees," a copy of which was obtained by AppleInsider.

"To help ensure we meet customer demand for iPhones, Verizon is urging employees and their families to postpone purchases of the popular smartphone, whether online or in retail stores, for the time being," the email said.

In the email, which carries the subject "Focus on Customer Is Key to Verizon iPhone Launch," Stratton highlight the Feb. 10 launch of the CDMA version of the iPhone 4 as a chance "to show those millions of people what it means to be a Verizon customer -- providing them the best network, joined by the very best customer service and support, all adding up to a world-class customer experience."

?Part of that experience is ensuring we?re able to meet our customers? needs in the midst of what will surely be unprecedented customer demand," the email continued. ?I know customers aren?t the only ones who are excited ? employees are, too. While I share your excitement, over the coming weeks we all need to do our part to meet our customers? needs -- this means putting our customers first.

?After all, that?s the way we do business. That?s the Verizon Credo in action. This is an historic moment in time to rally together and show our loyal customers and new ones what our culture is all about.?

Earlier Wednesday, Apple issued a press release reminding Verizon customers that they can preorder the iPhone 4 starting at 3 a.m. Eastern, midnight Pacific on Feb. 3.

Qualified customers will also be able to order the Verizon iPhone 4 on Wednesday, Feb. 9 through the Apple online store for delivery, or reserve for in-store pick-up beginning Feb. 10.

Verizon has said it will have a flawless execution of the iPhone launch, though limited supply is a concern for the carrier. Last week, the largest wireless carrier in the U.S. confirmed rumors that it had hired thousands of customer service representatives to handle the iPhone launch.

For its part, Apple admitted, during its first quarter 2011 earnings call, that it was having trouble keeping up with demand for the iPhone 4. Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook said their efforts were "not enough."

"We do still have a significant backlog," Cook said. "We are working around the clock to build more." According to Cook, Apple expects "huge" results from the Verizon launch, but is unable to predict when supply and demand will equal.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    No problem, there are many Android phones and they play flash.
  • Reply 2 of 42
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fuwafuwa View Post

I am sure most of them will just wait...
  • Reply 3 of 42
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:

Yes, apparently there are many trolls too...
  • Reply 4 of 42
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Wow.

That really doesn't sound too good. I really don't want to hear about "...unable to meet demand".

I know some people think that's a great thing because that problem illustrates (obviously) high demand. But it's really not a good thing.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    While I like the thought behind it, I think it's important that the front lines at Verizon (and any provider), the salespeople are users of the phone that their customers will be asking about. It's really tough to put on an act like you know a phone when you've only used it for an hour in a group of 20 other salespeople.
  • Reply 6 of 42
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

?After all, that?s the way we do business. That?s the Verizon Credo in action. This is an historic moment in time to rally together and show our loyal customers and new ones what our culture is all about.?

Oh boy. Here is another statement with a large potential to cause embarrassment.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    I'd expect a little bonus compensation for holding off on buying a phone. Otherwise I'm just another customer really.
  • Reply 8 of 42
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Urge all you want, but I wouldn?t hold off just because someone in my family worked for minimum wage at a Verizon kiosk!
  • Reply 9 of 42
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Once again, perfect timing by Apple.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I have several friends on Verizon who are ready to replace their Android phones with iPhones. None of them care about Flash.

Quote:

• Reply 11 of 42
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Its a far better situation than bragging you've shipped 10 million phones but have only sold 2 million.

We already know Apple won't be able to meet demand.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Wow.

That really doesn't sound too good. I really don't want to hear about "...unable to meet demand".

I know some people think that's a great thing because that problem illustrates (obviously) high demand. But it's really not a good thing.

• Reply 12 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

Yes, apparently there are many trolls too...

I could be wrong, but I think fuwafuwa was trying to be sarcastic......
  • Reply 13 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Oh boy. Here is another statement with a large potential to cause embarrassment.

Exactly. What are they going to do -- get every customer that walks in the door to buy an iPhone to sign a sworn statement that they are not friends and family to Verizon employees?!
  • Reply 14 of 42
    That's crazy! Their employees need to know how to use what they are selling!

Customer: Can you tell me how this works?

Employee: No, we're not allowed to have one yet.

Idiots!
  • Reply 15 of 42
    Probably the opposite to that really.

Low-paid Verizon sales people will probably hold back stock for friends and families .
  • Reply 16 of 42
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Exactly. What are they going to do -- get every customer that walks in the door to buy an iPhone to sign a sworn statement that they are not friends and family to Verizon employees?!

Probably a few Verizon employees will hide a few iPhone in the back and say they're out of iPhones.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rgspb View Post

Idiots!

Are you assuming the customers are as idiot as android fanboys? Even toddlers can operate without explanation.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I have several friends on Verizon who are ready to replace their Android phones with iPhones. None of them care about Flash.

I have 2 friends who are die hard android fans, they bought the n1 unlocked, and they do not care about flash either.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    And THIS is why Verizon didn't launch before Christmas 2010. Also, the AT&T exclusivity deal was probably still in effect.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rgspb View Post

Idiots!

And that, my friend, is the difference between the phones you buy and the iPhone. While I assume there is a manual for the iPhone (and the myriad other products that Apple sells) it's going to require fewer technicians in the store to support the device.

It is an awkward message from Verizon - c'mon, the appeal to the Verizon Credo?? The only reason this is news at all is because of all the anticipated hype leading up to Big Red's release of the iPhone. It's actually been less hyped than I had expected. But go Apple! I hope one day the phone is on the carrier I'm with!