Microsoft announces H.264 support for Google's Chrome

Comments

• Reply 41 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

They won't gain any traction. Why would content providers / web developers use WebM for Google's platforms when Flash is readily available and can serve up the H.264 video they already have? They're not going to switch to WebM simply because Google supports it through the <video> tag. It's completely ridiculous to think that.

Scenarios that will ultimately result from this...

1. If a web developer wants to do the least amount of work to make the biggest impact, they'll simply deliver H.264 video using Flash.

2. If a web developer is willing to do a tiny bit of work to make a bigger impact; deliver H.264 video using Flash and the <video> tag. One falls back on the other if not available.

#1 leaves out almost all mobile users. Yes Android 2.2 & 2.3 support Flash, but only about half of the Android installed user base is using either of those, and a chunk of those devices may not have the hardware to support smooth playback.

#2 covers just about everything, including most mobile users.

Absolutely spot on. I agree with with you completely. However, I think there is another scenario you are forgetting. Outside of major content providers and web developers there is a smaller group web content creators, such as bloggers and wysiwyg developers that will never go beyond the simplicity of just the <video> tag. These are the people who will really end up using whichever codec has the most support and if Google, IE and Firefox support webM on both mac and pc they will choose that, vs not having support for Firefox or Chrome on mac because they chose h.264.
  • Reply 42 of 73
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alkrantz View Post

Absolutely spot on. I agree with with you completely. However, I think there is another scenario you are forgetting. Outside of major content providers and web developers there is a smaller group web content creators, such as bloggers and wysiwyg developers that will never go beyond the simplicity of just the <video> tag. These are the people who will really end up using whichever codec has the most support and if Google, IE and Firefox support webM on both mac and pc they will choose that, vs not having support for Firefox or Chrome on mac because they chose h.264.

The solution to that is for Apple to get off it's rear and improve Safari especially on Windows. Safari has improved a bit but still lags in comparison to the other browsers on Windows.
  • Reply 43 of 73
    sambansamban Posts: 171member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjw View Post

No they won't do that, only apple could stoop that low.

Why is APPLE INSIDER reporting this story? It is not apple related, perhaps they should re brand their website as anti-google.com.

If google really want to win this war they could just remove h.264 from youtube, single handedly neutering the competition. Of course that wouldnt happen, only a company like apple would go that far because they would have the church of jobs and half the biased tech media backing then all the way.

and you are anti-apple.com
  • Reply 44 of 73
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Apple doesn't need to do the same for Chrome. Apple has provided mountains of code in WebKit for Chrome.

In that case, doesn't H.264 just work in the Mac version of Chrome?
  • Reply 45 of 73
    hexxhexx Posts: 40member
    f u c k gooooooogle
  • Reply 46 of 73
    Quote:

If google really want to win this war they could just remove h.264 from youtube...

And prevent access to the 12 videos that are h.264 enabled?
  • Reply 47 of 73
    hexxhexx Posts: 40member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

And prevent access to the 12 videos that are h.264 enabled?

i thought that most of the youtube vids are in h264 - for compatibility with iOS devices
  • Reply 48 of 73
    ...Go Microsoft!

Wow...If My 90s self was here he'd slap me across the face and throw a slush-puppy in my hair.
  • Reply 49 of 73
    Microsoft is my hero?

Boy the times, they are a-chang'in.
  • Reply 50 of 73
    cmvsmcmvsm Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

...Go Microsoft!

Wow...If My 90s self was here he'd slap me across the face and throw a slush-puppy in my hair.

You mean the 80's....
  • Reply 51 of 73
    insikeinsike Posts: 188member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Woderful! Ironic that it is MSFT that comes with the heavy hammer on Google's head.

What hammer? All this is, is a plugin. Like Flash. It won't add h264 support to html5 video in Chrome. So it's basically like the useless Firefox plugin they also made.

Also, remember that people are extremely slow when it comes to upgrading to the latest version of IE, so h264 is in big trouble on the desktop, and will be available only to a minority. So the graphics on page 2 of the article here on AI is misleading at best (only IE9 supports html5 video, so the total IE market share is irrelevant).
  • Reply 52 of 73
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmvsm View Post

You mean the 80's....

That would be quite difficult, I'm 19 years old.
  • Reply 53 of 73
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:

If google really want to win this war they could just remove h.264 from youtube, single handedly neutering the competition. Of course that wouldnt happen, only a company like apple would go that far because they would have the church of jobs and half the biased tech media backing then all the way.

No, it wouldn't happen because such a move by Google would likely lead to the DOJ and congressional investigations that Google certainly does not want to contend with.
  • Reply 54 of 73
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

No they won't do that, only apple could stoop that low.

Why is APPLE INSIDER reporting this story? It is not apple related, perhaps they should re brand their website as anti-google.com.

Such hatred for Apple, yet you've spent time typing 174 posts on a message board for a site called AppleInsider. I'm not sure I can think of anything more pathetic.
  • Reply 55 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Such hatred for Apple, yet you've spent time typing 174 posts on a message board for a site called AppleInsider. I'm not sure I can think of anything more pathetic.

I can. Someone blindly defending Apple no matter what.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

No, it wouldn't happen because such a move by Google would likely lead to the DOJ and congressional investigations that Google certainly does not want to contend with.

I doubt there would be a valid case there. Everyone is free to add WebM support.
  • Reply 56 of 73
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by insike View Post

I can. Someone blindly defending Apple no matter what.

Let me think... no, I'm pretty sure that still qualifies as less pathetic, even though I agree, it is also pathetic. At least, in that case, the person assumedly enjoys and derives pleasure from the product. You'll find, in any situation, if someone likes something they are more willing to ignore or forgive flaws/weaknesses. This goes for gadgets, objects, and people.

Going out of ones way to repeatedly post on a fansite of a product/company they have no affinity for would constitute as more pathetic than the above, in the eyes of rational people. Personally, I'd never buy a car from chevrolet, but the day I start visiting chevrolet fansites and trolling the company is the day I kill myself, particularly since I've never been forced to purchase any chevrolet vehicle, nor does the company adversely affect my life in any way.

Also, using language such as 'church of jobs' and 'biased tech media' doesn't lend to one's objectivity in the slightest.
  • Reply 57 of 73
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by insike View Post

I doubt there would be a valid case there. Everyone is free to add WebM support.

That's not the issue. YouTube, as the dominant online video provider, may be considered to have a monopoly. Making all their content WebM (a format they control) only might well be considered anti-competitive - using an existing monopoly to extend your power in a related area.

Not saying it's going to happen but this could be an issue if YouTube remains dominant.
  • Reply 58 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hexx View Post

i thought that most of the youtube vids are in h264 - for compatibility with iOS devices

No only a fraction of them are, however it's done in a clever way so that's it mainly repetition of content that's removed. Good way to test is do I search on your phone and computer and compare the results.
  • Reply 59 of 73
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

No only a fraction of them are, however it's done in a clever way so that's it mainly repetition of content that's removed. Good way to test is do I search on your phone and computer and compare the results.

No, almost all of them are. I only get Youtube in H.264 after signing up for the beta. And I have click-to flash installed so it would be very obvious if there was a non-H.264 video. I have NEVER come across one.

The beta doesn't restrict the search either, it just serves up the H.246 versions, not the Flash versions. Try again.
  • Reply 60 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Let me think... no, I'm pretty sure that still qualifies as less pathetic

I disagree. It's more pathetic.

Quote:

At least, in that case, the person assumedly enjoys and derives pleasure from the product.

What's pathetic is to think that you can't enjoy a product, and still criticize the company behind that product. Enjoying a product from a company doesn't mean you have to blindly accept anything the company does. That's just pathetic.