Existing Verizon customers can now preorder Apple's CDMA iPhone 4

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Both Apple and Verizon began offering existing Verizon customers the ability to preorder the forthcoming CDMA iPhone 4 right on schedule Thursday, with a delivery date of Feb. 10.

In Apple's online store, the AT&T and Verizon models of the iPhone 4 now appear side by side, as customers are invited to "select your iPhone and carrier." Pricing for the handset is identical, with the 16GB model running $199 with a two-year contract, and the highest capacity 32GB model $299.

The previous generation 8GB iPhone 3GS has been pushed down the page as a result. It is still offered for $49 only through AT&T.

Currently, only existing Verizon customers can preorder the iPhone 4, set to launch on Feb. 10. And the carrier expects such great demand, it has even asked its employees to wait to buy the smartphone so that it will be available for regular customers.

Verizon customers will be able to buy a plan with 450 "Anytime Minutes" for $39.99 per month, or 900 minutes for $59.99 per month. The unlimited voice plan is $69.99 per month for an individual.

The two-year contract also requires a data plan, which is $29.99 per month for unlimited access. An additional $20 per month offers the 3G Mobile Hotspot feature, which offers 2GB of capped data for external devices.

Text messaging can be pay-per-use, at 20 cents per text or 30 cents per picture or video. Plans start at 250 messages for $5 per month, 500 messages for $10 per month, or unlimited messaging for $20 per month.

Verizon Wireless Family SharePlans are also available for up to 5 lines, and can be bought through Apple Retail Stores and Verizon Wireless. They offer 700 minutes for $69.99, 1,400 minutes for $89.99, 2,000 minutes for $99.99 and "Nationwide Unlimited" for $119.99.

On Wednesday, Feb., 9, all qualified customers will be able to order an iPhone 4 on Verizon through the Apple online store for delivery, or reserve for in-store pick-up beginning Feb. 10. The Verizon iPhone will be available to all qualified customers at 7 a.m. local time on Thursday, Feb. 10. The new CDMA handset will also be available at more than 2,000 Verizon Wireless Communication Stores across the U.S.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    Let's see how well Verizon can handle the mayhem.
  • Reply 2 of 48
    ATT Better at:
    Speed

Data and Voice Multitasking

International Coverage

Rollover Minutes

Free Wifi

Battery Life (GSM better than CDMA)

Verizon Better at:
    Coverage

Fewer Dropped Calls (esp NY and SF)
    So, if you have good AT&T coverage, it's a no brainer. The feature that I use least on my phone is the "phone". Data and speed are much more important.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    Still no mention if visual voicemail is included or not. Usually it's a 3 dollar monthly charge.
  • Reply 4 of 48
    From Engadget (via 9 to 5 Mac Link):

Speed Counts....it lacks with Verizon. Once again, Verizon has crippled a great device.
  • Reply 5 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Still no mention if visual voicemail is included or not. Usually it's a 3 dollar monthly charge.

I ordered my iPhone early this morning. Visual Voicemail is included at no extra charge.
  • Reply 6 of 48
    Interesting note: The iPhone ordering is a distinct process from upgrading to any other phone on Verizon's web site. If you sign into your account and follow the normal routine to upgrade your phone, the iPhone isn't listed. You have to go through one of the big banners to get it.
  • Reply 7 of 48
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

From Engadget (via 9 to 5 Mac Link):

Speed Counts....it lacks with Verizon. Once again, Verizon has crippled a great device.

I think you're going to have to perform this test in about 1000 random locations around the country, average the results, and then report your conclusion.

Why are the AT&T ping times so long?
  • Reply 8 of 48
    Is this the third article in the past week or so by AI that said the same thing?
  • Reply 9 of 48
    Quote:

ATT Better at:
    Speed

International Coverage

Rollover Minutes

Free Wifi

Verizon Better at:
    Coverage

So, if you have good AT&T coverage, it's a no brainer. The feature that I use least on my phone is the "phone". Data and speed are much more important.

I agree with all of this, but I don?t think it?s fair to use AT&T?s GSM ?2G? as very few users will have ?3G? turned off. I?m sticky with AT&T for the reasons you mention but I?d call it a wash for talk time.

I?m actually surprised the Verizon iPhone doesn?t have a longer talk time with ?3G? turned on. Can?t wait to see iFixit dissect it. Same exact size battery, larger or smaller?
  • Reply 10 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EWTHeckman View Post

Interesting note: The iPhone ordering is a distinct process from upgrading to any other phone on Verizon's web site. If you sign into your account and follow the normal routine to upgrade your phone, the iPhone isn't listed. You have to go through one of the big banners to get it.

Also notice how Verizon?s site separates the iPhone from Smartphones. Is this a psychological thing mandated by Apple for marketing ? ?It?s not a smartphone, it?s an iPhone." ? and/or is it just proof that the iPhone has so much mindshare that separating it from the wannabe competitors makes business sense?
  • Reply 11 of 48
    Quote:

ATT Better at:
    Speed

International Coverage

Rollover Minutes

Free Wifi

Verizon Better at:
    Coverage

Just curious... how is AT&T's iPhone better at international coverage?

edit: Never mind. Found the answer: Apple didn't build additional network capabilities into the CDMA iPhone like other CDMA smartphone makers have. Hmmm.
  • Reply 12 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

Just curious... how is AT&T's iPhone better at international coverage?

edit: Never mind. Found the answer: Apple didn't build additional network capabilities into the CDMA iPhone like other CDMA smartphone makers have. Hmmm.

Most international providers use GSM, not CDMA.....so you can roam in popular locations (like Europe) with an AT&T iPHone.....not with Verizon.
  • Reply 13 of 48
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Quote:

So, if you have good AT&T coverage, it's a no brainer.

But if you don't, it's a no brainer too.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/03/te...h/03pogue.html

Game over. You can all now bow and genuflect to the poster(s) over the last 3 1/2 years who have been banned and called trolls for stating that the most important thing about any gadget with the word "PHONE" in it should be that it not drop calls.
  • Reply 15 of 48
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

Game over. You can all now bow and genuflect to the poster(s) over the last 3 1/2 years who have been banned and called trolls for stating that the most important thing about any gadget with the word "PHONE" in it should be that it not drop calls.

• Reply 16 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

This site banned people for saying the iPhone should also be a phone? That doesn’t seem fair. Was there something else to these bannings, like purposely trying to upset other posters?

It’s one thing to say it’s not the most reliable phone service or say that the iPhone on AT&T doesn’t suit a user’s needs because the phone service isn’t reliable enough, but it’s another to say AT&T can’t ever connect a call.
  • Reply 17 of 48
    dewdew Posts: 5member
    from https://preorder.verizonwireless.com...=ACCOUNTLOOKUP

Sorry, an error has occured.

We're working on getting this fixed as soon as we can.

(Please try again)

and following link generates:

Safari can’t open the page “http://preorder.verizonwireless.com:443/iconic” because the server unexpectedly dropped the connection. This sometimes occurs when the server is busy. Wait for a few minutes, and then try again.

Same as AT&T (or worse).
  • Reply 18 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

As a current VerizonWireless customer who went through the iPhone ordering process this morning, I can confirm that visual voicemail is included at no additional charge.
  • Reply 19 of 48
    http://www.9to5mac.com/50675/verizon...ers#more-50675

Verizon is already blocking/slowing their already slow data rates.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    Great news for all you Verizon fans, they have announced that they will begin throttling data speeds for the largest consumers. So much for 'unlimited'.

Also, for everyone they will be performing automatic optimization! They will 'adjust' the sizes and quality of the images and other items.

Article linked below.

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/artic..._optimization/