iPad 2 specs said to include HD video, 3MP camera, DisplayPort

Comments

• Reply 21 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

What is people's obsession with the resolution in iPad - the resolution is fantastic, the screen is great.

I thought that too until I saw the iPhone4.
  • Reply 22 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

A small HDMI to airplay adapter is actually a pretty good idea. It would elevate airplay from nearly useless to a reasonable solution. I would still want an HDMI port so I don't have to carry any adapters or cables, but the ability to present wirelessly might make carrying an adapter a viable choice.

AirPlay to VGA, too, for the average projector. I have no idea how to create this but I did pass the idea onto a couple people who might be able to do something with it, assuming Apple allows it.

I simple adapter would be great, but I?d still be okay with the $99 Apple products I mentioned being able to do it without needing both in tandem.
  • Reply 23 of 74
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 514member
    Quote:

Perhaps you need glasses. When you put the iPad next to the iPhone 4 it looks horrible.

Agreed - I thought the iPad was the 'bee's knees' until I got the iPhone 4. Nice for graphics/games, but for 1/2 of the intended use (web & reading) it's not up to what it needs to be, particularly for text on websites - I'm not interested in zooming in, if I wanted that I'd use my phone. 1024x768 sucked for monitors too.

Comparing the iPhone 4 vs. the iPad, you have a similar resolution (80% - 614,000 vs 786,000 pixels) in 1/7th the area (6 sq. inches vs 45 square inches), and that makes a HUGE difference in sharpness. If the iPad was 4x the res, it would have 5 times the pixels in 7.5 times the area, so almost as high res, and at that point holding it a bit further away when using it, you'd have equally sharp text on a much nicer to use (for surfing / reading) form factor.

I'll happily give up a mini displayport connector for that type of screen. It may not be feasible this year, though I'll keep my fingers crossed, but I can't understand arguing that 1024x768 is good enough after you've seen the retina display on the iPhone 4.
  • Reply 24 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

As to Display Port why would anyone want that on a tablet as opposed to a SD slot or USB port? Really that one I dont get at all.

The iPad is being rapidly adopted by enterprise customers. Many of them would like the ability to use the iPad for presentations to a large audience.

And yes, these customers know that there are notebook PCs that can do this.
  • Reply 25 of 74
    I would gladly pay an extra $15 or whatever the parts cost in order to have cameras that I might actually enjoy using for something, instead of the cheapest bottom-end items that they'd use just to be able to add "camera" to the features list.
  • Reply 26 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrstep View Post

...If the iPad was 4x the res, it would have 5 times the pixels in 7.5 times the area, so almost as high res, and at that point holding it a bit further away when using it, you'd have equally sharp text on a much nicer to use (for surfing / reading) form factor.

I'll happily give up a mini displayport connector for that type of screen....

I think the real issue though is battery life and performance. There is no such thing as a free lunch! Rendering that many more pixels comes at a pretty big cost in performance and therefore battery life - I can't make a good guess at it for this device since I am not familiar with power drain for the disparate screens but I can tell you with great confidence it would be significant. Granted newer GPUs (read multicore) has the potential to add a bunch to existing performance but at what cost?

How much battery life are you willing to give up?
  • Reply 27 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

As to Display Port why would anyone want that on a tablet as opposed to a SD slot or USB port? Really that one I dont get at all.

I am a teacher. This would allow me to show powerpoint presentations from the ipad, rather than having to drag my laptop around.
  • Reply 28 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveNJ View Post

I would gladly pay an extra $15 or whatever the parts cost in order to have cameras that I might actually enjoy using for something, instead of the cheapest bottom-end items that they'd use just to be able to add "camera" to the features list.

There is always a trade off. Are you willing to add more thickness (fairly significant amount) to the iPad? I am but I think most would balk-

Just my two cents.
  • Reply 29 of 74
    Apple will definitely include 'HD' cameras in the iPad2, as it is so easy to include a camera that is classed as 'HD'. As for specs, and if they even need to include a rear camera is the talking point.

I still think there is a chance of them not including a rear camera, just because I personally can't see the use. Apple only uses/markets the rear camera for iPhone and iPod Touch for taking still shots and videos, and I can't see Apple pushing this as a reason to use a rear camera on the iPad2 (you may use it for this, but looks silly on if advertised this way). And we all know Apple only puts hardware in their products that they believe is useful, regardless of what the rest of the industry is doing.
  • Reply 30 of 74
    I always have my iphone with me. Why do I need another camera. Waste of space and money.
  • Reply 31 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rmusikantow View Post

I am a teacher. This would allow me to show powerpoint presentations from the ipad, rather than having to drag my laptop around.

You can already do that without DisplayPort. It's called Keynote and the Dock Connector to VGA adapter.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Northern1 View Post

Apple will definitely include 'HD' cameras in the iPad2, as it is so easy to include a camera that is classed as 'HD'.

Why? All evidence points to 0.3 and 1.0 megapixels for the front and rear cameras, respectively. There's no evidence or reason for classifying anything as HD.

Quote:

I always have my iphone with me. Why do I need another camera. Waste of space and money.

"I have no use for this feature, so obviously it's completely pointless and no one needs it."

That's you.
  • Reply 32 of 74
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

The iPad is being rapidly adopted by enterprise customers. Many of them would like the ability to use the iPad for presentations to a large audience.

If that's the case, then it should have been HDMI not displayport as HDMI is used by both enterprise and home use more so than display port. Yet another example of a Apple's closed sytem trying to make you buy their own connector. While some monitors may have display port; they all have HDMI.
  • Reply 33 of 74
    Quote:

And how would you take that picture with your iPhone while reading your iPad with both hands?
  • Reply 34 of 74
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    There is no technical reason to limit iPad2 to any kind of camera. I think it all comes down to other factors like the positioning of iPad wrt iPhone and iPodTouch and cost.
  • Reply 35 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

I think the real issue though is battery life and performance. There is no such thing as a free lunch! Rendering that many more pixels comes at a pretty big cost in performance and therefore battery life - I can't make a good guess at it for this device since I am not familiar with power drain for the disparate screens but I can tell you with great confidence it would be significant. Granted newer GPUs (read multicore) has the potential to add a bunch to existing performance but at what cost?

How much battery life are you willing to give up?

I read this statement a lot, but I haven't seen any real evidence either way. I'm curious whether anyone has benchmarked a laptop running at various resolutions to see if the battery runtime was impacted when using different resolutions. My instincts tell me it's marginal, but I'd love to see hard data to prove either case.
  • Reply 36 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

If that's the case, then it should have been HDMI not displayport as HDMI is used by both enterprise and home use more so than display port. Yet another example of a Apple's closed sytem trying to make you buy their own connector. While some monitors may have display port; they all have HDMI.

You continue to be astoundingly hilarious. DisplayPort is not only an open standard, it's free to adopt. You can't fit six HDMI ports on a graphics card, but ATI puts that many Mini DisplayPort on its high-end graphics walls.
  • Reply 37 of 74
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by min_t View Post

cause people might want to use the ipad as a presentation device connected to a projector instead of logging a laptop around.

I have yet to see a projector in any presentation I've attended that does not have a VGA connector even if it has HDMI.

Given Apple's obvious push for AirPlay, I don't see why they'd want HDMI on their devices any more than they want BluRay on their computers.
  • Reply 38 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

I have yet to see a projector in any presentation I've attended that does not have a VGA connector even if it has HDMI.

Given Apple's obvious push for AirPlay, I don't see why they'd want HDMI on their devices any more than they want BluRay on their computers.

Not HDMI- Displayport and the answer is to sell cables.

Projectors use would be a minority of overall iPad users. It use would be primarily to connect to a display.
  • Reply 39 of 74
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

Businesses dont have displays compatible with the display port, just like more than 90% of consumers. If they are going to put a video out port, it should be HDMI, and it should have 7.1 audio support as well.

1) There is a simple VGA kit that's been available to connect iPad to projectors for months now.

2) 7.1 audio!!??? I doubt that they do 7.1 audio in presentations at Pixar or Lucas, let alone at any other real company. Silliest feature I ever seen suggested.
  • Reply 40 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You continue to be astoundingly hilarious. DisplayPort is not only an open standard, it's free to adopt. You can't fit six HDMI ports on a graphics card, but ATI puts that many Mini DisplayPort on its high-end graphics walls.

So now we're talking about 6 ports yet I'm hilarious?