Ahead of iPhone launch, Verizon throttles bandwidth of top data hogs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

AT&T wasn't lying when they said that Verizon users would experience life in the slow lane. Yes, I'm laughing but I use Verizon Mifi card. I won't anymore if ATT gets wifi hotspot.

Every other Wireless Carrier (US and Global) will get this feature on Feb 13th (IOS 4.3). Apple is allowing Verizon to suggest that this is a unique feature for now.

However, just remember...with Verizon, the wifi Hotspot will fail once a call comes in (or out).
  • Reply 22 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You've obviously never even read the terms of service of virtually any ISP.

Comcast caps at 250GB a month. They throttle the heaviest users down from the maximum speed for which they've paid. They're not alone in doing so.

Comcast is a perfect example. You know up front what the limit is (250gb) and you know after you hit it, you will be throttled until the end of the month. Verizon does not tell you how much data you can use, they just say 5%. Based on AT&T usage data, that could happen below 1 gb! Once you hit the mystery threshold, Verizon will throttle you for the rest of the month, and then throttle you the entire next month as a punishment.

Name one other Internet provider in the US with both of those "terms of service".
  • Reply 23 of 72
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjr1007 View Post

Usage charging is typical for many scarce resources. One only has to look at talk minutes to see how common it really is. Haven't seen Time Of Day (TOD) usage numbers but it would seem that having both peak and off peak data allocations, much like minutes, would help out. That way large software downloads could occur overnight and not impact daytime usage. There probably are enough cell phone carriers out there that one of them will figure this out. Virgin Mobile already has a USD 25 plan with 5 gigs of data and 300 minutes of talk with no contract. The second tier players seem much more competitive then either ATT or Verizon.

Just my USD 0.02 worth

They have.

Much like commuting during rush hour. More traffic. Less speed. More time. And it is very common, if not, for all service providers in Europe.

As for Virgin Mobile USD 25 plan, that is for one month. They are talking about those that download more than that every day.
  • Reply 24 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

I can explain it most simply to you. If you live and work in an area with little or no ATT coverage then Verizon is your best option, warts and all. It's really that basic.

It really has nothing to do with being a fanboy. I don't believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, that there is such a thing as a Verizon fanboy, or any other kind of wireless carrier appreciation fan base.

There are Star Trek fans, football fans, railroad fans, cooling fans, but I don't think there are any Verizon fans anymore than there are oil company fans or toaster oven fans or health insurance fans. They provide a service that people need.

Reminder to you all that if you have an At&t unlimited plan....They do the same thing at 5g's.
  • Reply 25 of 72
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Verizon can't handle the truth.
  • Reply 26 of 72
    So they are throttling data a week before the official launch date? Is the pre-ordering affecting them that much that they need to throttle data from users on their already slow ?3G? network?
  • Reply 27 of 72
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

AT&T wasn't lying when they said that Verizon users would experience life in the slow lane.

And Verizon wasn't lying when they said the iPhone launch would

"show our loyal customers and new ones what our culture is all about."
  • Reply 28 of 72
    http://cnettv.cnet.com/

CNET just did this review, and they confirm what most people will see soon enough.

I just logged onto verizon's site and had no problem with ordering!
  • Reply 29 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Verizon can't handle the truth.

Verizon customer: I want the [throughput]!

AT&T customer: You can't handle the [throughput]!

SF/NYC AT&T customer: [I] eat breakfast 300 yards away from [an AT&T tower and still can?t hold a call more than 5 minutes]. And nobody's going to tell [me] how to run [my] unit least of all the [college dropout] in his faggoty [black turtleneck]. [We] need to shake [AT&T], put [them] on the defensive and lead [them] right where [they need to go].

• Reply 30 of 72
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    thank you for purchasing a new motor vehicle. you may use your new motor vehicle for transporting your groceries. however, if you carry too many groceries we may, at our discretion, turn your milk into cottage cheese so as to reduce the strain on the roadways. you may or may not notice the change from milk to cottage cheese.
  • Reply 31 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theobold View Post

Reminder to you all that if you have an At&t unlimited plan....They do the same thing at 5g's.

No they don't.

Edit: I should say, "No they don't with the iPhone plans," they did have the 5gb limit in the "unlimited data" for blackberry devices with data connect tethering.
  • Reply 32 of 72
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I honestly don't know why he is a troll. Either unlimited means unlimited or it doesn't. Can you imagine ordering the all you can eat buffet and then after your third round being told you have exceeded the amount you are allowed to eat? We all know there are caps, but that doesn't make it right. I am amazed by most Americans willingness to bend over for big companies and even argue on their behalf. In France, they'd be tipping cars over and lighting buildings of fire. That is the revolutionary spirit that is long dead in American and is what put the Country on the map.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MOEW View Post

You just admitted to being a 5% top user. I believe you have an expectation here, but are not-even-close to your typical user.

Really, this can happen on any internet connection. Nothing new to see here, except trolls.

• Reply 33 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I honestly don't know why he is a troll. Either unlimited means unlimited or it doesn't. Can you imagine ordering the all you can eat buffet and then after your third round being told you have exceeded the amount you are allowed to eat? We all know there are caps, but that doesn't make it right. I am amazed by most Americans willingness to bend over for big companies and even argue on their behalf. In France, they'd be tipping cars over and lighting buildings of fire. That is the revolutionary spirit that is long dead in American and is what put the Country on the map.

Unlimited can limited in other regards. Are you allowed to eat at that unlimited buffet every day for the rest of your life after paying just once? Of course not, it?s limited to one meal, one session, one duration. Even the unlimited nights and weekends are limited to the hours available in that time frame, just as unlimited data that is for a specific type usage (not tethering) may not be included.

This stuff is all in the agreement and should be common sense. Unlimited simply doesn?t mean unlimited in every single way one can imagine, therefore this term has to be defined as unlimited within certain parameters.
  • Reply 34 of 72
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    All you data hogging jailbreakers are not welcome on VZW. I'm on my phone a lot and never get past 3GB.
  • Reply 35 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Given that they are throttling based on high consumption and a relatively small cut of folks, they would likely pass inspection. And at least they are being upfront and telling folks before they are in a contract etc

I've said it many times now , iPhone users are data hogs! And now Verizon is offering them unlimited data, but punish them when they use that presumably "unlimited" data. This is foul on verizons part. And that "small cut of folks" is actually 4.7million people. Funny how they announce this the day of the iPhone preorder and just weeks after saying their network could handle it. I can't wait to turn on the news and see the epic fail of their launch too.
  • Reply 36 of 72
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    At&t is evil incarnate while Verizon is God's gift to iPhone users...or so it has been said.
  • Reply 37 of 72
    So, this is how Verizon will "Rule the Air"? By throttling, compressing, destroying our picture quality? We've been warned...we will be punished!
  • Reply 38 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

All you data hogging jailbreakers are not welcome on VZW. I'm on my phone a lot and never get past 3GB.

Yes, because you have to jailbreak to be a data hog.

• Reply 39 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

But the top 5% threshold could mean you would hit Verizon's throttling well before you hit 2gb, possibly before you hit 1 gb. Only 2% of AT&T's data hogs exceed the 2GB, so at 3 GB you would be one of the top hogs. Hows that feel?
  • Reply 40 of 72
    shobizshobiz Posts: 207member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lalaruza View Post

http://cnettv.cnet.com/

CNET just did this review, and they confirm what most people will see soon enough.

I just logged onto verizon's site and had no problem with ordering!

So, this points out what we already know?

Can't wait to see testing of Verizon "trouble spots" in the future.

Oh, that's right Verizon doesn't have ANY trouble spots.

And... while I understand San Fran has been getting the short stick in reference to performance of the iPhone from AT&T not everyone lives in this 1 city. There are plenty of places where Verizon (or any other carrier) has poor service as well.