Ahead of iPhone launch, Verizon throttles bandwidth of top data hogs

Comments

• Reply 41 of 72
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lalaruza View Post

http://cnettv.cnet.com/

CNET just did this review, and they confirm what most people will see soon enough.

I just logged onto verizon's site and had no problem with ordering!

There is just one problem with CNET's analysis ... no one else is currently using a Verizon Iphone. In the previous video CNET said that the amount of other users in the area makes a difference on service but here they are running unbalanced tests on the Iphone.
  • Reply 42 of 72
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

But the top 5% threshold could mean you would hit Verizon's throttling well before you hit 2gb, possibly before you hit 1 gb. Only 2% of AT&T's data hogs exceed the 2GB, so at 3 GB you would be one of the top hogs. Hows that feel?

If you are using your verizon phone for internet service which I'm sure many will, then you could run into problems.
  • Reply 43 of 72
    I don't care about data throttling- I think this is the fair way to do it actually. But the idea of pictures and video being compressed worries me a bit. I assume this is for transient material, like images on a web site, and not email attachments.
  • Reply 44 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

If you are using your verizon phone for internet service which I'm sure many will, then you could run into problems.

If you use it to stream Pandora or watch online videos you could have a problem. You don't have to tether or do anything crazy to get into the top 5% every now and then.
  • Reply 45 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theobold View Post

Reminder to you all that if you have an At&t unlimited plan....They do the same thing at 5g's.

Not true. I have been on an unlimited since original iPhone. Grandfathered my unlimited to my iPhone 4. I transfer anywhere from 10 - 20 GBs a month. It's just as fast at then end of the month as the beginning and all points between. They do not throttle. And have never said so much as 'boo' about it.

I'm just sayin'.
  • Reply 46 of 72
    shobizshobiz Posts: 207member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iansilv View Post

I don't care about data throttling- I think this is the fair way to do it actually. But the idea of pictures and video being compressed worries me a bit. I assume this is for transient material, like images on a web site, and not email attachments.

I could understand caching, but how do you compress video and photos that are already compressed with any significant reduction?
  • Reply 47 of 72
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

All you data hogging jailbreakers are not welcome on VZW. I'm on my phone a lot and never get past 3GB.

i'm on at&greed. with an unlimited plan. my iphone 4 is not jailbroken (or whatever the eff the verb is). for the past few months i have been running my phone primarily in 3G mode. i'd say about 98% of the time or more it's in 3g mode. i use my phone a lot. for work and for play. i have several gps/network apps running in the background and i use safari a lot - for realtime network monitoring (e.g., nagios) and for downloading reference material. on average i've been using about 130MB a day (130. megabytes. per day.)

one month i went over the [arguably] pretend/soft limit of 5GB and there was a message on my account that said i had exceeded my limit for the month. (so don't tell me at&t's not drawing an arbitrary line in the sand at 5GB.) i called them and asked what was up and they removed the message and assured me their would be no overage charges. as an aside, i also have not noticed any degradation in the network performance of my device.

just because someone uses more data than you does not mean they have a jailbroken phone. and even if that were the case, does a jailbroken phone necessarily use more data than a non-jailbroken phone? i have a 3GS that is jailbroken, but only so i can use it when i travel out of the country. most of the time it sits there and does nothing. that disproves your claim right there.
  • Reply 48 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SHOBIZ View Post

I could understand caching, but how do you compress video and photos that are already compressed with any significant reduction?

They can/will reduce the resolution, framerate or video quality.
  • Reply 49 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

i'm on at&greed. with an unlimited plan. my iphone 4 is not jailbroken (or whatever the eff the verb is). for the past few months i have been running my phone primarily in 3G mode. i'd say about 98% of the time or more it's in 3g mode. i use my phone a lot. for work and for play. i have several gps/network apps running in the background and i use safari a lot - for realtime network monitoring (e.g., nagios) and for downloading reference material. on average i've been using about 130MB a day (130. megabytes. per day.)

one month i went over the [arguably] pretend/soft limit of 5GB and there was a message on my account that said i had exceeded my limit for the month. (so don't tell me at&t's not drawing an arbitrary line in the sand at 5GB.) i called them and asked what was up and they removed the message and assured me their would be no overage charges. as an aside, i also have not noticed any degradation in the network performance of my device.

just because someone uses more data than you does not mean they have a jailbroken phone. and even if that were the case, does a jailbroken phone necessarily use more data than a non-jailbroken phone? i have a 3GS that is jailbroken, but only so i can use it when i travel out of the country. most of the time it sits there and does nothing. that disproves your claim right there.

I personally love AT&T - they have great customer service (just my personal experience!) And no - jailbroke phones generally do not use more data unless they buy a 3rd party (or cracked 3rd party) app to do so. That would go without saying. There are many amazing and useful things in jailbreaking. It's not for everyone. Just like 'data hogging' is not for everyone. As are lots of things. Being gay or straight, apple or pc, black or white. I'll tell ya. This day and age people are filled with so much hatred. And for what purpose or reason. I'd rather be a jailbreaking gay data hog any day than be filled with such spite. Anyday.

I'm just saying'!

PS : FYI I live in the so called "at&t hell" of San Francisco. Honestly I have never ever dropped a call or not gotten a connection. (the mission district drops to edge-and there is no connection on treasure island-but hell the few people who live out there have no utilities - or they don't pay for them cause none of the places have proper metering infrastructure yet and Comcast doesn't even service the island. You have to fork over for satellite tv and microcell for cell service. Or get an hd receiver and on a day when the wind and fog are just right you van get an At&t connection from across the bay. Other than that which I see as a non issue, my service rocks.
  • Reply 50 of 72
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theobold View Post

Reminder to you all that if you have an At&t unlimited plan....They do the same thing at 5g's.

FALSE. You should get your facts straight.

My usage is over 5 gb a month, and they've never capped my speed. At least, not that I'm aware of...speed comes and goes with AT&T 3G
  • Reply 51 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MOEW View Post

You just admitted to being a 5% top user. I believe you have an expectation here, but are not-even-close to your typical user.

Really, this can happen on any internet connection. Nothing new to see here, except trolls.

Can we please stop with this whole "troll" nonsense? Calling people names is juvenile. Grow up.
  • Reply 52 of 72
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidcarswell View Post

I personally love AT&T - they have great customer service (just my personal experience!) [...] And for what purpose or reason. I'd rather be a jailbreaking gay data hog any day than be filled with such spite. Anyday.

PS : FYI I live in the so called "at&t hell" of San Francisco. Honestly I have never ever dropped a call or not gotten a connection.

we're polar opposites on a couple things. i loathe at&t, specifically for their customer service (just my personal experience.) what is it that makes you say my post is filled with spite?

PS: i live in san francisco, too, and although my experience isn't as bad as some who live here it's not anywhere near as rosy as yours. ever go to the haight or get near dolores park? or one of the many other places in the city where reception is almost non-existent? i have a friend who lives near page and webster and he literally has one corner of his flat where he can get reception.

it's all about expectations and ours are obviously different. lemme guess, you're probably still on myspace, yeah?
  • Reply 53 of 72
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    I hope this bites Verizon in the ass and they miss out on potential iphone customers in large numbers. Screw them for this.

I bought unlimited data, but how exactly can it be unlimited if eventually the connection is so slow it's unusable?

This is a bad move, and a direct result of the republican win in the realm of net neutrality. Lie about what it is on Fox News, tell everyone it's a government takeover of the internet, get it tossed aside, and let the corporations SCREW US.
  • Reply 54 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Can we please stop with this whole "troll" nonsense? Calling people names is juvenile. Grow up.

Grow up?

Obvious troll!
  • Reply 55 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

If you use it to stream Pandora or watch online videos you could have a problem. You don't have to tether or do anything crazy to get into the top 5% every now and then.

I get there through work, and when I bought the phone, I explained clearly what I'd be using the device for. Not a word about bandwidth throttling, or anything about going over 5gb a month being bad.

This is pure unadulterated bullshit, and an example of what a republican America is like. Unlimited data? SURE! At 10kbps! LOL
  • Reply 56 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

So, this is how Verizon will "Rule the Air"? By throttling, compressing, destroying our picture quality? We've been warned...we will be punished!

Yeah YOU'VE been warned. Existing customers just got F'd in the A lol
  • Reply 57 of 72
    Quote:

we're polar opposites on a couple things. i loathe at&t, specifically for their customer service (just my personal experience.) what is it that makes you say my post is filled with spite?

PS: i live in san francisco, too, and although my experience isn't as bad as some who live here it's not anywhere near as rosy as yours. ever go to the haight or get near dolores park? or one of the many other places in the city where reception is almost non-existent? i have a friend who lives near page and webster and he literally has one corner of his flat where he can get reception.

it's all about expectations and ours are obviously different. lemme guess, you're probably still on myspace, yeah?

I'm sorry. I think you are pretty effin kewl. I was just referring to well 90% of most posts on forums these days. All the name calling and attitude gets nothing accomplished I meant to compliment you on your grace in regards to you mention of jailbreaking and all. You seem like a polite person where others that are polar opposite would just resort to throwing shoes and apples. Ive learned that people and there different experiences make life interesting though in the last couple years - seems it could get dangerous.LOL. My poor fingers are getting carpel-tap-syndrome. I guess I often cut my posts short so I may avoid no tapping at all in the future. I'd rather be on an old school typewriter these days. LOL

PEACE,

-david
  • Reply 58 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Grow up?

Obvious troll!

I so so soooo kindly concur!
  • Reply 59 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidcarswell View Post

I so so soooo kindly concur!

well I was being facetious. Actually, people around here do use the term troll too much...

The bottom line is, if you don't like what someone says, don't reply. If you think they're a troll, don't reply. The simple act of reading their comment does nothing to you, and responding only to call them a troll shows pettiness.

Someone is only a troll if you make them a troll.
  • Reply 60 of 72
    Quote:

I was just in the haight and am by Delores every day. My best friend lives on the park. Never noticed any problems at all. Watched a PBS documentary while in a muni meltdown yesterday and without a hitch. You see everyone's experience is so different. Which is why I say there is no reason for all the mean nastiness posted so often. Ya know?

Hope yours improves in the future. I personally wish we had regulation. I'm sittin' at starbucks in Castro now and 3G kicks the wifi's *ss big time.

No myspace - I got facebook though it's not public and have just a few friends (actual long term and some new friends that can see me and they are not 'friends' LOL I really know them and love them.)But no twitter. That's kinda lame. Doesnt anyone remember what the heck a 'twit' is. Kinda like something I wouldn't want to be andturn it into a verb. Well geez kinda not my thing. Like someone coming out with 'hey I 'twirped' my friends after I got through 'janking' my personal business to the whole world - just to let them know I had to use the toilet at the gas station. And that was like so.." I don't get the whole world having to know too much about my life. Mysteries are so much more interesting.

Much

Much

More