Rumor: Apple plans to unveil second-gen iPad at iOS event next week

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
A new rumor claims that Apple plans to hold a special event to introduce in-app subscriptions with iOS 4.3 next week, and that the company intends to introduce its second-generation iPad at the conclusion of the event.

Citing sources within the accessories business, MacNotes.de reported Thursday that Apple is planning an event next week to highlight the features of iOS 4.3. The site speculated that the second-generation iPad could be presented as the famous "one more thing" at the end of the event.

Apple's new in-app subscription feature was unveiled on Wednesday with the launch of The Daily for iPad. But when asked about when the functionality might become available to other content providers and developers, iTunes chief Eddy Cue declined to comment, saying that Apple would provide more details in the near future. An event for iOS 4.3 could be where those details would be revealed.

MacNotes.de does not have an established track record with respect to Apple rumors, though it did obtain parts for a white iPhone 4 in December, and it has also claimed that the "iPad 2" will launch in early April. The alleged timeframe reported Thursday would also fit recent evidence that Apple could launch iOS 4.3 for the iPhone and iPad by Feb. 13.

The third beta of iOS 4.3 was released to developers this week. Apple has released updated betas on a weekly basis since mid-January.

Rumors of Apple's anticipated second-generation iPad have picked up steam in recent weeks, as Apple approaches the one-year mark since the device was launched in April 2010. Reports have suggested that the device could include a dual-core graphics processor and a mini DisplayPort.

Last week, AppleInsider exclusively reported that other rumors of an SD card slot on the next iPad are unlikely to materialize. Slots shown in leaked images of next-generation iPad cases are said to be more likely used for a SIM card in the model with integrated 3G wireless connectivity.

For more, see AppleInsider's extensive coverage of the iPad 2.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    Sounds like a good time for RIM to have another "meeting" about what the s**t they are going to do!
  • Reply 2 of 55
    mr0cmr0c Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...The alleged timeframe reported Thursday would also fit recent evidence that Apple could launch iOS 4.3 for the iPhone and iPad by Feb. 13.

Given no GM has been seeded and also that Safari seems quite buggy, I can't see a release by 13th Feb, maybe late Feb :/
  • Reply 3 of 55
    I think the 15th would be a stretch, but the 22nd is plausable and I think apple knows they need to get v. 2 out asap to stop any momentum from the xoom and honeycomb.
  • Reply 4 of 55
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:

MacNotes.de does not have an established track record with respect to Apple rumors, though it did obtain parts for a white iPhone 4 in December, and it has also claimed that the "iPad 2" will launch in early April.

And cannibalize current iPad sales for two month? I don't think so.
  • Reply 5 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

I think the 15th would be a stretch, but the 22nd is plausable and I think apple knows they need to get v. 2 out asap to stop any momentum from the xoom and honeycomb.

No, they don't. Apple schedules based on their own choices, not by any outside threats (what threats?).
  • Reply 6 of 55
    Given Apple's email marketing for iPad 1 as a Valentine's gift, this seems completely out of sync. Maybe the extra thing will be a refresh of MB Pro? I thought they were about ready for a refresh.
  • Reply 7 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

And cannibalize current iPad sales for two month? I don't think so.

Yeah. I only see an announcement if there is a launch imminent.
  • Reply 8 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pkstreet View Post

Given Apple's email marketing for iPad 1 as a Valentine's gift, this seems completely out of sync. Maybe the extra thing will be a refresh of MB Pro? I thought they were about ready for a refresh.

Agreed. They'll end up with a lot of pissed off people that just bought it and will have to deal with returns or another round of rebates. I would guess it would be announced close to a month after this Valentine's push.
  • Reply 9 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Sounds like a good time for RIM to have another "meeting" about what the s**t they are going to do!

I would say RIM is pretty much out of the game at this point. I don't see anyone getting in the way of Android and iOS anytime soon.
  • Reply 10 of 55
    Quote:

A new rumor claims that Apple plans to hold a special event to introduce in-app subscriptions with iOS 4.3 next week, and that the company intends to introduce its second-generation iPad at the conclusion of the event. ...

THis makes no sense at all unless they intend to start selling iPad 2.0 within a week or so also, which would be way early.

The iPad was announced far ahead of it's availability last time to generate interest in a new product. Showing everyone the new one when it isn't due to be available for months would just destroy sales and Apple never does it for 2.0 products.
  • Reply 11 of 55
    That would mean invitations to the event would role out next week. I really don't see this happening but who knows, it just might.

For sure, the iPad WILL BE the MAIN EVENT! No doubt in my mind about that.

iPods are the main event.

iPhone is the main event.

iPads will be the main event.

Without a doubt.
  • Reply 12 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lgutie20 View Post

That would mean invitations to the event would role out next week. I really don't see this happening but who knows, it just might.

For sure, the iPad WILL BE the MAIN EVENT! No doubt in my mind about that.

iPods are the main event.

iPhone is the main event.

iPads will be the main event.

Without a doubt.

Absolutely. iPad 2 as a "one more thing" is not likely. They really have not done that with a big product in a while.
  • Reply 13 of 55
    I don't think they would announce the iPad at the end of an iOS announcement. (Welcome to iOS 4.3! We have this killer new feature where you can buy wonderful things in your apps; oh yeah and we have an ipad too.") Certainly the other way around. I call complete BS on this rumor.
  • Reply 14 of 55
    Quote:

I agree that Apple has to get iPad v2 in people's minds fairly quickly but I'm not sure if it has to be in February. I can almost guarantee that the Moto Xoom w/ Honeycomb will be a complete mess if they rush it out the door this month as promised.
  • Reply 15 of 55
    Too soon.. They need to wait until after MWC and for HP and other major players to introduce their tablets (which most of them will be doing real soon)..

But I call BS on this one. Apple usually gives two weeks notice before introducing new joint.
  • Reply 16 of 55
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:

Well, I don't think they need to rush to beat the Xoom, or other Honeycomb devices, release, or to beat the Playbook, either, but, it's not an entirely far fetched rumor, although, perhaps not entirely accurate.

Apple typically has an event to introduce the next version of iOS, which, this time around, would be iOS v5. Last year it was in April, the year before in March, I believe, for a June release of the software with the next gen iPhone, in each case. So, if the iPad is on track for the usual annual release cycle they have followed for other iOS devices, it wouldn't be that surprising to expect an announcement of iOS v5 some time soon.

They also will at some point announce the next iPad, maybe at this event, maybe on a later date. The iPhone gets announced at WWDC. The iPod Touch and other new iPods at their Fall "Media" event. So, something in Feb/March that maybe becomes an annual event, introducing the next version of iOS to developers and introducing the next generation iPad wouldn't be a huge departure.
  • Reply 17 of 55
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

THis makes no sense at all unless they intend to start selling iPad 2.0 within a week or so also, which would be way early.

The iPad was announced far ahead of it's availability last time to generate interest in a new product. Showing everyone the new one when it isn't due to be available for months would just destroy sales and Apple never does it for 2.0 products.

And also to give developers time to develop apps.
  • Reply 18 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I would say RIM is pretty much out of the game at this point. I don't see anyone getting in the way of Android and iOS anytime soon.

Hp/Palm would beg to differ according to their big event scheduled week. .. The leaks I've seen look interesting.
  • Reply 19 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Agreed! Although, HP does not seem to be in a rush to get a tablet to market, just to have something to show...I could see them using Palm's WebOS (price $1 Billion) to do something better than the other competitors have done.

Although, I think Apple will remain the leader.
  • Reply 20 of 55
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

I don't think they would announce the iPad at the end of an iOS announcement. (Welcome to iOS 4.3! We have this killer new feature where you can buy wonderful things in your apps; oh yeah and we have an ipad too.") Certainly the other way around. I call complete BS on this rumor.

My first thought, too. When was there ever a "one more thing" at the end of something like an IOS event? Besides, the rumour mill has not yet reached fever pitch and there have been no reports of a downturn in availability of the present iPad.