Rumor: Apple plans to unveil second-gen iPad at iOS event next week

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

Hp/Palm would beg to differ according to their big event scheduled week. .. The leaks I've seen look interesting.

I think all of the competition looks interesting... but all of these players have to bring out an absolutely flawless product to match Apple's flawless almost 1 year old introduction and sale of the iPad.
  • Reply 22 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lgutie20 View Post

That would mean invitations to the event would role out next week. I really don't see this happening but who knows, it just might.

For sure, the iPad WILL BE the MAIN EVENT! No doubt in my mind about that.

iPods are the main event.

iPhone is the main event.

iPads will be the main event.

Without a doubt.

I'm only sure of one thing - that you have no idea of what role these devices play in any announcement about new product roll out.
  • Reply 23 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

Hp/Palm would beg to differ according to their big event scheduled week. .. The leaks I've seen look interesting.

I am sure they would beg to differ but they actually have to get something to market to be in the game.
  • Reply 24 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Too soon.. They need to wait until after MWC and for HP and other major players to introduce their tablets (which most of them will be doing real soon)..

But I call BS on this one. Apple usually gives two weeks notice before introducing new joint.

Admittedly an aging freak (aka hippie for the younger crowd) that may not be up on the latest slang but joint? To me that is either jail, weed, dick or some mechanical fixture that allows motion about it - none of which I have ever witnessed Apple being in the business of peddling. Correct me if I am missing something here - inquiring minds want to know!
  • Reply 25 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, I don't think they need to rush to beat the Xoom, or other Honeycomb devices, release, or to beat the Playbook, either, but, it's not an entirely far fetched rumor, although, perhaps not entirely accurate.

Apple typically has an event to introduce the next version of iOS, which, this time around, would be iOS v5. Last year it was in April, the year before in March, I believe, for a June release of the software with the next gen iPhone, in each case. So, if the iPad is on track for the usual annual release cycle they have followed for other iOS devices, it wouldn't be that surprising to expect an announcement of iOS v5 some time soon.

They also will at some point announce the next iPad, maybe at this event, maybe on a later date. The iPhone gets announced at WWDC. The iPod Touch and other new iPods at their Fall "Media" event. So, something in Feb/March that maybe becomes an annual event, introducing the next version of iOS to developers and introducing the next generation iPad wouldn't be a huge departure.

This is good thinking.

Since the 1.0 product is usually introduced at a different time or under different conditions than all subsequent releases and since we only have the 1.0 release of the iPad to go by, it seems like it could easily be a whole variety of dates.

However, I still think it would be dumb of them to announce it significantly ahead of availability because of the traditional dampening affect those kind of announcements have on sales.
  • Reply 26 of 55
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

Absolutely. iPad 2 as a "one more thing" is not likely. They really have not done that with a big product in a while.

Right ,and since I don't recall anyone other than Steve to utter those words, I would highly doubt they would use that tactic with Steve on medical leave.
  • Reply 27 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

MacNotes.de does not have an established track record with respect to Apple rumors, though it did obtain parts for a white iPhone 4 in December, and it has also claimed that the "iPad 2" will launch in early April. The alleged timeframe reported Thursday would also fit recent evidence that Apple could launch iOS 4.3 for the iPhone and iPad by Feb. 13.

Feb 13 is a Sunday... so, unlikely!

Quote:

The third beta of iOS 4.3 was released to developers this week. Apple has released updated betas on a weekly basis since mid-January.

4.3 betas have been released on a normal bi-weekly basis (every 2 weeks).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr0c View Post

Given no GM has been seeded and also that Safari seems quite buggy, I can't see a release by 13th Feb, maybe late Feb :/

Apple could announce Monday or Tuesday, Feb 14 or 15, for pre-order and delivery/availability, say Mar 25.

A new Beta 4.3 & SDK could be made available on announce with new systems apps (Safari, Contacts, etc.), new feature support and new APIs. ≈ 6 weeks should be enough time to bring in a 4.3 GM.

There, likely, will be no compelling need for developers to upgrade their existing apps immediately -- rather take advantage of new features in a more pragmatic process.

Lastly, this would put Apple out front of the competition -- for developers and in the eyes of the resellers, enterprise and consumers
  • Reply 28 of 55
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    I think, considering the Valentine's Marketing for iPad 1, iPad 2 won't show up until like mid-March.

Personally though, I won't be thinking about buying it unless it has a Retina Display - which now seems implausibly unlikely - because eventually, probably next year if it's not this year, they're going to put out a Retina iPad, and I don't want to have to buy a replacement to get the quality of screen I enjoy on my phone.
  • Reply 29 of 55
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    I'm not sure about this event, but if they do discuss iPad 2 we might find the iPad 1 may be dropped in price, wifi only, 16 GB with the iPad 2 32 and 64 GB. They do it with the iPhone.
  • Reply 30 of 55
    Seems like abit soon for an announcement of an Ipad 2 as Apple is in the midst of the Verison Iphone launch & also some other companies tablets aren't out yet.

However Apple is know to surprise so its possible.
  • Reply 31 of 55
    Not bloody likely.

And like everyone else has said. There is not way the iPad 2 is a "one more thing" at the end of another event. The iPad 2 IS THE EVENT, whenever it happens.
  • Reply 32 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Sounds like a good time for RIM to have another "meeting" about what the s**t they are going to do!

Larry: "What's the meanest animal alive?"

co-Larry: "Why, that would be the crocogator"

Larry: "What's a crocogator?"

co-Larry: "A crocogator is an animal with the jaws of a crocodile on one end and the jaws of an alligator on the other end."

Larry: "With crocodile jaws on one end and alligator jaws on the other end -- how does a crocogator shit?"

co-Larry: "The crocogator don't shit -- that's what makes him so mean!"

• Reply 33 of 55
    Too early, I see an iOS 5 preview in late March with the launch of the new iPad.
  • Reply 34 of 55
    It makes no sense.

Apple staggers major events, which keeps the Apple name in the limelight. With the Verizon iPhone4 launch happening now, it would not make sense to release iPad2 now, which will be a major event. Also, where are the rumors of manufacturing in progress, and stolen photos of iPad2 chassis? It would really surprise me to see an iPad2 before April. Also, Apple will never give 2 month notice for anything other than a new product category, so we will not be hearing anything about iPad2 this month.

After 8 months of using the first gen iPad on a daily basis, I am having a hard time thinking of any new feature that would make me upgrade to iPad2. Retina, SD slot, DisplayPort, faster processor, more memory, bigger speakers, and a set of fore/aft cameras are all nice, but not essential. I really don't think any of that would have a big impact on my overall experience.

I'm already thinking: What will iPad3 bring to the table?
  • Reply 35 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crisss1205 View Post

Too early, I see an iOS 5 preview in late March with the launch of the new iPad.

The iPad. IS. the event.

"Thanks for joining us for this preview of iOS 5, now let's talk about the second iPad which won't be shipping with any of the cool features you've just seen."

Does that make any sense?
  • Reply 36 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Sounds like a good time for RIM to have another "meeting" about what the s**t they are going to do!

They are banking on yet another Blackberry Crotch 9910 x4 something or other.
  • Reply 37 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pkstreet View Post

Given Apple's email marketing for iPad 1 as a Valentine's gift, this seems completely out of sync. Maybe the extra thing will be a refresh of MB Pro? I thought they were about ready for a refresh.

YES!!! This would be great, and what I have been waiting for, but highly unlikely
  • Reply 38 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pro fo show View Post

YES!!! This would be great, and what I have been waiting for, but highly unlikely

Yeah, after Intel's little screwup, I bet the MBP is going to have to wait a bit longer.
  • Reply 39 of 55
    It makes no sense that the slot on the cases are for a sim card. Who needs access to that? Why not peel back the case if you need to get to it?
  • Reply 40 of 55
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    That is, if you don't consider the "one more thing" from last Fall when the MB Air was unveiled.

Just say'in...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

Absolutely. iPad 2 as a "one more thing" is not likely. They really have not done that with a big product in a while.