Early bird Verizon iPhone 4 orders already shipping

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Verizon subscribers who wasted no time ordering an iPhone 4 on Thursday have already received notification that their order has shipped, though whether the handsets will be delivered before the Feb. 10 launch date remains to be seen.

Multiple readers contacted AppleInsider on Thursday to share that their order of a CDMA iPhone 4 has already shipped, just hours after the handset first went on sale. Preorders for the CDMA iPhone 4 are currently only available for existing Verizon customers.

While the shipments are already headed out a week before the official Feb. 10 launch date, it is by means no sign that the devices will be delivered to customers early. When the iPad launched last April, the devices were held for days at the UPS Worldport hub in Louisville, Ken., to meet the April 3 launch date.

However, when the iPhone 4 debuted on AT&T's network last summer, some customers received early deliveries of the handset.

Verizon iPhone 4 preorders will open to all qualified customers next Wednesday, Feb. 9. And the device will officially go on sale at Apple and Verizon retail stores at 7 a.m. local time on Thursday, Feb. 10.

Some customers also reported issues attempting to order their CDMA iPhone 4 on Thursday, with Verizon's website allegedly returning error messages for some customers. Technical issues have been a regular occurrence when a new version of Apple's popular smartphone goes on sale.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 86
    Mine says shipped, but have not received any tracking info, so hard to know what to make of it. I'd love to get it tomorrow but am trying not to get my hopes up.

Several readers on other forums report that in the past, when their phones have shipped, they do not receive the tracking number until late that evening or even after the phone has actually arrived.
  • Reply 2 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Heb1228 View Post

Mine says shipped, but have not received any tracking info, so hard to know what to make of it. I'd love to get it tomorrow but am trying not to get my hopes up.

Several readers on other forums report that in the past, when their phones have shipped, they do not receive the tracking number until late that evening or even after the phone has actually arrived.

So what time of night did you order the phone? And was it from Verizon's site or Apple's?

Thanks!
  • Reply 3 of 86
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    This is going to be chaos.
  • Reply 4 of 86
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Let the throttling begin!
  • Reply 5 of 86
    Meh. I ordered right around 2:55am EST and my order still shows as processing. Haven't even been charged on my account. I'd be shocked to receive it tomorrow. If they are indeed shipping starting today, I think I'd get it by monday or tuesday.
  • Reply 6 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hummerchine View Post

So what time of night did you order the phone? And was it from Verizon's site or Apple's?

My order went in about 2:59 AM EST for three phones from Verizon's website through a business account.

One guy over at MacRumors has had his "Expected Ship Date" filled in as 2/3/2011. Mine hasn't changed yet, but I keep checking it every 2 minutes or so.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...&postcount=241
  • Reply 7 of 86
    I sense that they'll be held up at the facilities. Just like the gsm model was.
  • Reply 8 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I sense that they'll be held up at the facilities. Just like the gsm model was.

You could be right, and I'm afraid you probably are. BUT I have to wonder what the point is in holding them up after they're already ready to go. You'd think it would be better for Verizon to have everyone trying to activate over a 6 day period of time rather than all in one or two days. Would make the whole situation go much more smoothly. That's me rationalizing. I just really want it tomorrow.
  • Reply 9 of 86
    Quote:

My order went in about 2:59 AM EST for three phones from Verizon's website through a business account.

One guy over at MacRumors has had his "Expected Ship Date" filled in as 2/3/2011. Mine hasn't changed yet, but I keep checking it every 2 minutes or so.

Did you have a business verizon account? VZW rep told us today that business accounts could NOT participate in the preorder process. They said your company has to deal with it; when I told them that I am the person having authority within the company -- I am the owner -- they said they couldn't find a way to it.
  • Reply 10 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dougw View Post

Did you have a business verizon account? VZW rep told us today that business accounts could NOT participate in the preorder process. They said your company has to deal with it; when I told them that I am the person having authority within the company -- I am the owner -- they said they couldn't find a way to it.

As far as I can understand, yes it is a business account. On the status check page it even asks you for confirmation number and either Last Name or Company Name...

https://preorder.verizonwireless.com...cSearchInit.do
  • Reply 11 of 86
    Verizon Wireless is charging their existing customers, who do not qualify for an upgrade $50 more than apple.com. Below are the sample pricing from each site:

Prices for individuals who do not qualify for a subsidized upgrade:

Verizon wireless $749.99 for iPhone4 32GB

Apple.com $699.00 for iPhone4 32GB

If you have ordered from Verizon you should request a credit, or should return and buy from Apple.
  • Reply 12 of 86
    The tease site went down for me at 2.40-ish Eastern.

And was back up and running at 2.45am with the order prompt. By 2.52 I had placed my order without difficulty (and an additional 50$ discount, making it a 32g phone for 250$).

I didn't get any shipping notice by email, but when I log into the website it does show that its shipped. Of course, any arrival before next Thursday is gravy, since I've been waiting for something like 5 years...
  • Reply 13 of 86
    I ordered my iPhone at 12:05am PST and received my email conformation at 2:55am. As of now my order says pending with a ship date of Feb. 10th.
  • Reply 14 of 86
    I ordered mine at about 3:30AM ET and mine says "We received your order and it is in process", with an expected ship date of 2/10/11.
  • Reply 15 of 86
    lowepglowepg Posts: 106member
    Quote:

Seriously? Every 2 minutes? Its stupid crap like that that bogs down the website for legitimate users.

I ordered mine and I can *live* until I get an email that it ships.

lol....every 2 minutes.....
  • Reply 16 of 86
    sometimes it says shipped but the package is still not picked up by the mail carrier and since most have reported that they have no tracking number I suspect that is what is happening.
  • Reply 17 of 86
    rckrck Posts: 2member
    I ordered mine at 11:55pm, received confirmation at 1:42am. I was at work so I had the opportunity. Ship date shows 2/10. No big deal since I have been waiting for a while.

Now I can bury my original blackberry storm
  • Reply 18 of 86
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    When I preordered my 3GS few years back Apple shipped it early but the shipment was held at Memphis (FedEx) location for few days and was not delivered until release day. This is normal. They want to make sure they are delivered on time and it is better to not have all preorders plus store shipments leave the factory at the same day.
  • Reply 19 of 86
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Traditionally, Apple ships these to your local shipping warehouse where they're held until the release date and then delivered on that date. This ensures that all pre-orders get to their destination on time.

This is what happened with my iPad. Sat in the Fedex warehouse for a few days before it was delivered.

Pre-orders don't usually have a "ship" date, Apple gives you a "delivery" date.
  • Reply 20 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BurningSkies View Post

The tease site went down for me at 2.40-ish Eastern.

And was back up and running at 2.45am with the order prompt. By 2.52 I had placed my order without difficulty (and an additional 50$ discount, making it a 32g phone for 250$).

I didn't get any shipping notice by email, but when I log into the website it does show that its shipped. Of course, any arrival before next Thursday is gravy, since I've been waiting for something like 5 years...

I just took a quick look at my confirmation email from last night, and see that my 'order number' is 62, meaning it's one of the very first to be registered/processed in their system.