AT&T working with Apple to enable iPhone Personal Hotspot tethering

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
While the Personal Hotspot Wi-Fi tethering feature of Apple's upcoming iOS 4.3 update for the iPhone will only be available where carriers support it, AT&T has confirmed that it is working with Apple to support the feature.

An AT&T spokesman stopped short of confirming to AppleInsider when Personal Hotspot is coming to AT&T customers. But the comment does provide more confirmation that AT&T intends to support the Wi-Fi tethering feature, which will allow users to wirelessly share their 3G data connection with other devices.

"All I can say at this time is that we're working with Apple," AT&T spokesman Seth Bloom said.

On Wednesday, AT&T revealed in a press release that it will expand its data cap for tethering customers to 4GB per month starting on Feb. 13, for the same $45-per-month total price. But the company said the capability will come to "select smartphone customers," and made no mention of the iPhone 4 or its Personal Hotspot feature expected to be introduced with iOS 4.3.

In his review of the Verizon iPhone 4, David Pogue of The New York Times initially stated that AT&T's iPhone would gain the Personal Hotspot feature on Feb. 13. The review was quickly revised to state that the carrier would get the feature "soon," but the date was removed.

AT&T first began to support tethering on the iPhone last June, but limitations in Apple's iOS mobile operating system only allowed the sharing of a 3G data connection over Bluetooth or USB. In addition, the iPhone could not be tethered with an iPad.

Verizon iPhone 4 users will get the Personal Hotspot feature when that handset launches on Feb. 10. Apple has also released a unique version of iOS, 4.2.6, exclusively for that CDMA-based handset.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    This will be very useful and a much welcomed addition to the AT&T service as far as my family is concerned.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    I can?t wait to see tethering comparisons. So far it seems the iPhone 4 can tether for 4 hours and has a great way of preserving by turning off tethering 90 seconds after the last device disconnects. So far, the results from other devices have been excessively power hungry.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

This will be very useful and a much welcomed addition to the AT&T service as far as my family is concerned.

I think this service obsoletes tablets with 3G connectivity for many users. 2GB on the iPad WiFi_3G is $25, or I can pay an extra $20 to get an additional 2GB that can be used for my phone,iPad or with WiFi-capable devices.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    As to this feature I hope Apple has it configured to run as a background task. That is I want the ability to run another app on the iPhone while it is serving as a WiFi hot spot. Admittedly I haven't read a lot of reviews but I haven't seen clear comments on this ability.

As to AT&Ts charging for this I wish they would simply wake up and charge by the GB of data transferred. Ten dollars for every 2GB isn't to bad but 4GB would be better. With apps like the Daily coming bandwidth usage will become an issue. I may not personally buy into the daily but I can see other publications I might be interested in on a weekly or monthly basis. It would only take a couple of these to blow a 2GB data allotment. More importantly apps like these are likely to be used away from hotspots.

The other thing this does is put a twist in my iPad 2 plans. Originally the intent was simply to go with a 3G or hopefully 4G model and put up with two accounts. Now I have to think a bit more about this. A WiFi hotspots could be a cheaper way to a higher performance iPad2. Unless of course Apple continues to put the GPS chip on the 3G card. At onetime I actually thought about dropping the iPhone and going with a 3G iPad2.

With all of this noise with respect to the 13th, how many think that this is the date for iPad2? That would be a fantastic surprise.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    bongobongo Posts: 158member
    Personal Hotspot already works great on the GSM iPhone on AT&T's network. After installing iOS 4.3 (I am a registered developer) I saw the Hotspot option, but it was disabled. I added tethering to my AT&T account and immediately the Hotspot option became available on the phone. Probably what AT&T means is that they're looking for a way to screw their customers with the new Personal Hotspot feature. It works way too well right now.

Looking forward to the 10th!
  • Reply 5 of 26
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

I think this service obsoletes tablets with 3G connectivity for many users. 2GB on the iPad WiFi_3G is $25, or I can pay an extra $20 to get an additional 2GB that can be used for my phone,iPad or with WiFi-capable devices.

I'm not sure. If I buy iPad tomorrow I still choose 3G model. I don't want to drain my phone battery excessively. Beside only 3G model has GPS which is very handy in a lot of situation.

This feature will be great for some situation, not all.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

I'm not sure. If I buy iPad tomorrow I still choose 3G model. I don't want to drain my phone battery excessively. Beside only 3G model has GPS which is very handy in a lot of situation.

This feature will be great for some situation, not all.

Oh, I?m sure there are as many examples as people who would prefer and use the 3G model, hence my use of many not all. I just see the need for the 3G model being diminished with this new feature. I have yet to active the 3G on my iPad and couldn?t get the GPS to function with the TomTom app when only using WiFi. Note: The TomTom app might not be able to understand the GPS chip since it?s an iPhone app, not Universal.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    this would be great for families traveling, i keep my iphone plugged in the kids have touch's so this is a win, its the details and how many can connect also att could advertise this as a family bonus because all survey's have said att is faster with data than vz, so sharing a higher rate works better

also i still want to multitask for gps, vlingo, etc.

now for the cost and how it affects those with unlimited data, or will they be throttled down.

it seems as the 10th rolls closer and closer we hear more from att about appealing to customers

i like att, i want a great deal when i upgrade my tired 3g to iP4
  • Reply 8 of 26
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

now for the cost and how it affects those with unlimited data, or will they be throttled down.

To use the hot-spot, users with unlimited data will have to switch to the 2GB + hotspot plan. This is no different than it has ever been.

The moral is... if you have unlimited data, stick with a jailbroken method of implementing a hotspot or a hidden tethering app.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    If history is repeated, at&t should be offering a hotspot feature sometime in 2012! And it won't be cheap!
  • Reply 10 of 26
    AT&T will have to add a Personal Hotspot feature for the iPhone now that Verizon is doing it, and they will have to price it competitively.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    shobizshobiz Posts: 207member
    I have been using hotspot for several weeks on AT&T with 4.3 beta with no issues. So how is this news?
  • Reply 12 of 26
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    It took them more than a year to support tethering on the iPhone and they were working with Apple back then.

Quote:

On Wednesday, AT&T revealed in a press release that it will expand its data cap for tethering customers to 4GB per month starting on Feb. 13, for the same $45-per-month total price.

Give me 4GB per month WITH Hotspot feature for $30/month then I will give up my grandfathered unlimited data plan.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SHOBIZ View Post

I have been using hotspot for several weeks on AT&T with 4.3 beta with no issues. So how is this news?

Don't be surprised if the hotspot feature disappeared from AT&T iPhones when the 4.3 is officially released.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevemost View Post

If history is repeated, at&t should be offering a hotspot feature sometime in 2012! And it won't be cheap!

If history repeats, AT&T will offer it shortly before or shortly after Verizon at basically the same price, as if they almost but didn't quite coordinate their offerings and pricing.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    While this feature is most welcome for existing ATT iPhone users, its kinda pathetic that Verizon, who is just *now* offering the iPhone, can get it rolled out immediately while ATT, who've had the iPhone for *4 years*, is still yet to offer it to customers.

Its a pity its taken this long to get the iPhone on Verizon. ATT has done as much, or more, to hinder Apple and the iPhone platform as they have to promote it.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    AT&T stating their commitment to the feature is an excellent development! That means it should be no more than 24 months before they follow through
  • Reply 17 of 26
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

And since my family takes the extra 4 seconds to jailbreak their phones an install MyWi, this will be a worthless addition that we fortunately will not waste money on.

We already pay $30 each for unlimited data. Not paying $20 more, each, for the same data.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

While this feature is most welcome for existing ATT iPhone users, its kinda pathetic that Verizon, who is just *now* offering the iPhone, can get it rolled out immediately while ATT, who've had the iPhone for *4 years*, is still yet to offer it to customers.

Its a pity its taken this long to get the iPhone on Verizon. ATT has done as much, or more, to hinder Apple and the iPhone platform as they have to promote it.

Seriously? How can you rationally blame this on AT&T? How many iPhone carriers around the world offer the official hotspot feature? Exactly 0 as of today. Why? Because APPLE has not includsed it in an official release yet.

The version of iOS that APPLE is shipping with the Verizon phone will be the first that gives a carrier the option of offering it, and based on the Beta, when iOS 4.3 is released by APPLE it will be the first time GSM carriers around the world, including AT&T have an opportunity to offer hotspot to iPhone customers.

But this is all AT&T's fault. Yeah right. Don't even bother with the AT&T would not let Apple do it BS, Apple added tethering and MMS for other carriers long before AT&T enabled them. AT&T is doing nothing to hold Apple back in terms of hardware or software.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

And since my family takes the extra 4 seconds to jailbreak their phones an install MyWi, this will be a worthless addition that we fortunately will not waste money on.

We already pay $30 each for unlimited data. Not paying $20 more, each, for the same data.

Actually they don't give you that option. You would be paying $15 more each for capped data. Arguable an even worse deal.

BTW, if you can jailbreak several iPhones and install MyWi in 4 seconds, I am pretty impressed!
  • Reply 20 of 26
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

Seriously? How can you rationally blame this on AT&T? How many iPhone carriers around the world offer the official hotspot feature? Exactly 0 as of today. Why? Because APPLE has not includsed it in an official release yet.

The version of iOS that APPLE is shipping with the Verizon phone will be the first that gives a carrier the option of offering it, and based on the Beta, when iOS 4.3 is released by APPLE it will be the first time GSM carriers around the world, including AT&T have an opportunity to offer hotspot to iPhone customers.

But this is all AT&T's fault. Yeah right. Don't even bother with the AT&T would not let Apple do it BS, Apple added tethering and MMS for other carriers long before AT&T enabled them. AT&T is doing nothing to hold Apple back in terms of hardware or software.

You have a made some good points but the caps make you look retarded.

Pro-tip: Drop the caps and make your points like an adult.