Apple reseeds Xcode 4 golden master, removes Mac OS X 10.7 Lion reference

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple this week seeded a golden master of Xcode 4 to developers with documentation that mistakenly referenced Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, only to pull the software and re-seed it without any mention of the forthcoming Mac operating system update.

People familiar with the Xcode 4 golden master available to developers say the release requires an Intel-based Mac running Mac OS X 10.6.6 or later. Previously, the software was temporarily available with documentation that said mistakenly Xcode 4 would actually require Mac OS X 10.7 Lion. No seeds of Lion have been made available to developers.

The Xcode 4 package includes software development kits for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, and iOS 4.2. It is also compatible with Xcode 3.2.x project files.

The golden master released to developers this week reportedly resolves an issue when editing .nib files that existed in the previous release, known as Preview 6. New snapshots are also said to properly appear in the projects organizer when a project has no snapshots.

Apple's Xcode 4 has a brand new, single-window interface for all major workflows, and the Interface Builder is integrated with the main Xcode IDE. Other major features include fix-it, which highlights code in real-time where an error is detected and can address the problem, and a faster LLDB debugger that uses less memory than the GDB debugging engine.

Xcode allows developers to create applications for the Mac, iPhone and iPad. Using the Xcode 4 golden master seed, developers can now submit iOS and Mac apps to the App Store.

For more, see AppleInsider's in-depth look inside Apple's new Xcode 4 development tool.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

The Xcode 4 package includes software development kids for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, and iOS 4.2. It is also compatible with Xcode 3.2.x project files.

I think you mean kits?!
  • Reply 2 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

and a faster LLDB debugger that uses less memory than the GDP debugging engine.

I think you mean GDB?!
  • Reply 3 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I think you mean kits?!

Like Foxconn factory workers, Apple?s coders are now kids, hence Software Development Kids. To writer smaller code you need smaller keyboards and therefore smaller hands (That makes perfect sense).
  • Reply 4 of 27
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 514member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple this week seeded a golden master of Xcode 4

And I think you meant 'Microsoft Visual Studio'? Ah, damn, never mind.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    It's so easy to use and makes my life so much easier it's scary. Have 4 projects in the works.

Love apple
  • Reply 6 of 27
    I've been using 4 for a couple months now and it is a nice upgrade. I've had bad luck with LLDB though. Many times I'd get a crash when starting a debugging session, and subsequently the debug_server process would ramp up to 100% cpu and need to be killed of manually. Also LLDB didn't step over lines properly where GDB did. I'll have to try out the new version and see if they've made any progress on the LLDB.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    n42n42 Posts: 34member
    Woohoo! XCode 4 rocks! Finally I can use it in a production environment. It was too buggy in the past.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    I'm kind of worried Lion is going to be a boring upgrade. Steve didn't really show anything groundbreaking last year.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    As if you have any clue what makes for a non-boring Apple OS upgrade?
  • Reply 10 of 27
    As a non-registered developer I really can't wait for the public release.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by n42 View Post

Woohoo! XCode 4 rocks! Finally I can use it in a production environment. It was too buggy in the past.

Well.. it does include iOS sdk but it is kind of a little mess now. We have Xcode 3.2 with iOS sdk, Xcode 3.2 with iOS beta SDK, and Xcode 4 GM with iOS 4.2 SDK. The good news is that we can use 4.0 GM to submit iOS and Mac App Store apps.. Now they need new Xcode 4 with iOS 4.3 beta. I currently have the three versions installed and each is taking 8GB+ hard drive space.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrstep View Post

And I think you meant 'Microsoft Visual Studio'? Ah, damn, never mind.

Yep, I love VS 2010. I've stayed away from developing on 3.2 for casual use. I'm looking forward to the 4.0 integrated IDE. Should be great.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Quote:

People familiar with the Xcode 4 golden master available to developers say the release requires an Intel-based Mac running Mac OS X 10.6.6 or later.

Ok does this mean I'm going to have to upgrade my PPC Dual G5 from 2004? I've held out this long... It still works great!
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I think you mean kits?!

You never know... these script kiddies are getting smarter every day!
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by n42 View Post

Is it OK to submit binaries built with "4" already?

It looks pretty cool in the videos but I've stayed away so far because I'm afraid it's gonna be a PITA to get used to during the first couple of weeks... I remember I freaked out badly when they changed the "search/replace" dialog!

...Of course, soon Apple will drop support for 3.x and we'll all have to bite the bullet.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Apple did it all wrong. Lion is supposed to come before Tiger. But at least now we can look forward to Mac OS X 10.8 Bear. Followed by a shout of "Oh My."
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

Is it OK to submit binaries built with "4" already?

Yes.

Quote:

It looks pretty cool in the videos but I've stayed away so far because I'm afraid it's gonna be a PITA to get used to during the first couple of weeks... I remember I freaked out badly when they changed the "search/replace" dialog!

...Of course, soon Apple will drop support for 3.x and we'll all have to bite the bullet.

Just when I thought I got the hang of Xcode 3.2 Apple is releasing Xcode 4. I've skimmed throughout the transition guide they provided. It is useful.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I'm kind of worried Lion is going to be a boring upgrade. Steve didn't really show anything groundbreaking last year.

I'm predicting that Lion will be better than Snow Leopard, but not as big an upgrade as Leopard (my personal favorite).

But this is going to be a wonderful spring/summer!

-March: Announce iPad 2; Preview iOS 5, maybe Lion

-April: Launch iPad 2

-June: iOS 5, iPhone 5

-August(?): Lion

-September: the usual iPod refreshes

Sweet! I'm only wondering when the next step with Lion will be. For Leopard, it was previewed first in June 2006 (WWDC), shown in depth June 2007 (WWDC) and released in October 2007.

Man, if WWDC is a combo iOS5, iPhone 5, Lion all together?! My brain would explode.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Yep, I love VS 2010. I've stayed away from developing on 3.2 for casual use. I'm looking forward to the 4.0 integrated IDE. Should be great.

Lol. That actually was my first thought when I saw the new look of the IDE. I don't mean that in a bad way at all, it just immediately reminded me of VS. Haven't had a chance to play with the new version myself either, but am also looking forward to it.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

Apple did it all wrong. Lion is supposed to come before Tiger. But at least now we can look forward to Mac OS X 10.8 Bear. Followed by a shout of "Oh My."

Just as long as they stay away from Cougar. Intel's 'Cougar Point' chipset. Hmmm. Hey Intel, not sure if you've heard the other use for cougar now, but... oh, that's going to be paired with the new MILF CPUs? Never mind then.