Rumor: Apple to release iOS 4.3 on Feb. 14 at 10 am Pacific

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new rumor claims Apple plans to release the next major update for the iPhone and iPad, iOS 4.3, on Monday, Feb. 14, at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern.

Citing a "reliable source," MacStories.net reported on Friday that Apple plans to release iOS 4.3, bringing AirPlay functionality to third-party applications and the new Personal Hotspot Wi-Fi tethering feature, in 10 days. Apple usually releases its iOS updates around 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern.

In the past, the website correctly predicted that Mac OS X 10.7 Lion would adopt various features and user interface elements from iOS, which powers the iPad and iPhone. But last November, the site also incorrectly reported that Apple would release iOS 4.3 in December with recurring application subscriptions.

Apple issued the first beta of iOS 4.3 to developers in mid-January. It introduced the new Personal Hotspot tethering feature for iPhone, as well as new multi-touch gestures on the iPad for quickly multitasking and accessing the home screen.

However, Apple later informed developers that the new multi-touch gestures in the iOS beta are just a preview for developers to test compatibility with their applications. The Cupertino, Calif., company indicated that the functionality will be included with a later update to iOS.

So far, Apple has released a total of three betas of iOS 4.3 to developers, with the most recent one issued this week. Other reports have speculated that iOS 4.3 could be released within two weeks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

So far, Apple has released a total of three betas of iOS 4.3 to developers, with the most recent one issued this week. Other reports have speculated that iOS 4.3 could be released within two weeks.

I have not tried the 4.3 betas since I'm in the middle of a big project. How does this relate to the just released GM Xcode 4 which only supports iOS 4.2?
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Perhaps we'll see a preview of iOS5 as well.. iOS4 was previewed February last year.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... new multi-touch gestures on the iPad for quickly multitasking and accessing the home screen. ...However, Apple later informed developers that the new multi-touch gestures in the iOS beta are just a preview for developers to test compatibility with their applications. ..

I can't for the life of me think of a single reason why these five finger gestures are being delayed. It seems like a simple, practical addition that can be done without interfering with anything else, yet developers have to "test them out" for another six months before we see them? Whatever for?

The only possible conflict is if an app has already implemented a five finger gesture within the app, but that seems like a ridiculous reason to delay things. If they have implemented such a thing, it violates Apple's patents and in any case, the only solution for that would be to dis-allow the apps from using five finger gestures of the same type. Why not just do it now and save all our fingers from double-tapping that home button all day long?
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Perhaps we'll see a preview of iOS5 as well.. iOS4 was previewed February last year.

Wasn't it in April?
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I can't for the life of me think of a single reason why these five finger gestures are being delayed. It seems like a simple, practical addition that can be done without interfering with anything else, yet developers have to "test them out" for another six months before we see them? Whatever for?

The only possible conflict is if an app has already implemented a five finger gesture within the app, but that seems like a ridiculous reason to delay things. If they have implemented such a thing, it violates Apple's patents and in any case, the only solution for that would be to dis-allow the apps from using five finger gestures of the same type. Why not just do it now and save all our fingers from double-tapping that home button all day long?

I can think of several possible reasons...

1) the 5-fingure gestures are not natural

2) some popular apps may not work well with FSFTS (Full-Screen Fast Task Switching)

3) the hardware may not be robust enough to support the full-screen effect of switching between active tasks

4) new iOS multitasking constructs may be required to support FSFTS

5) Apple may want to use different (fewer finger) gestures to allow FSFTS to work on the iPhone and iPod Touch

If you have an iPad with 4.3 beta installed, try this:

-- fire up several apps that are big users of memory and/or CPU/GPU

-- I have Angry Birds, Calendar (multiple calendars), Twitter, Contacts, YouTube Playing a video, etc.

Try FSFTS...

I expect you may not think it is ready for release.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Guesstimate: iOS 5 will be released during September 2011. Probably previewed this summer.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    jcozjcoz Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Guesstimate: iOS 5 will be released during September 2011. Probably previewed this summer.

What???

I will be sincerely disappointed if it doesn't roll out with the iPhone 5. I also would be extremely disappointed if that release does not also include the ipad.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I can think of several possible reasons...

1) the 5-fingure gestures are not natural

2) some popular apps may not work well with FSFTS (Full-Screen Fast Task Switching)

3) the hardware may not be robust enough to support the full-screen effect of switching between active tasks

4) new iOS multitasking constructs may be required to support FSFTS

5) Apple may want to use different (fewer finger) gestures to allow FSFTS to work on the iPhone and iPod Touch

If you have an iPad with 4.3 beta installed, try this:

-- fire up several apps that are big users of memory and/or CPU/GPU

-- I have Angry Birds, Calendar (multiple calendars), Twitter, Contacts, YouTube Playing a video, etc.

Try FSFTS...

I expect you may not think it is ready for release.

Possibly you are right, I don't want to get into an argument about it anyway.

For the record, reasons 2 and 3 strike me as spurious in that they would be the same even if one is using the button double-click (the current method). I can't make any sense of reasons 1 and 4, and I find reason 5 kind of unconvincing.

If what you say is true about your experiment, perhaps they are just waiting for iPad 2.0 because the hardware upgrade is necessary to make it work smoothly, although I find multi-tasking to be generally smooth already on iPad 1.0. On the other hand while I work on very large documents in multiple programs, I don't play games on the iPad at all, and I rarely use connected apps since I have the Wi-Fi version. Perhaps multi-tasking stutters on iPad 1.0 when you are switching between things like games or apps that poll the net and have to shut down connections? Not sure.

As a side note, "FSFTS" is entirely too close to "FFS" ( a much ruder expression) for me
  • Reply 9 of 17
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Presumably Steve-o will be doing the previewing/announcing?
  • Reply 10 of 17
    No mention if 4.3 will be supported on the 3G... There was an old post that suggested it was being EOL'd with this release.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

No mention if 4.3 will be supported on the 3G... There was an old post that suggested it was being EOL'd with this release.

Actually the silence on the 3G is deafening - no support in 4.3 unless they decided to add it at the last minute (totally unprecedented). Bummer since my iPhone is a 3G - time to get a new 'un (will probably wait a bit for the 5 instead of jumping on the 4 now). \

P.S. My apologies to Alice Cooper
  • Reply 12 of 17
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jcoz View Post

What???

I will be sincerely disappointed if it doesn't roll out with the iPhone 5. I also would be extremely disappointed if that release does not also include the ipad.

You'd be extremely disappointed if that release does not also include the iPad? Be disappointed. 4.2 and the iPad took up a lot of time. They only have so many resources. These things take time. Last year 4.0 was previewed in February. This year 5.0 will likely be previewed around May. I'm being realistic here. You think Apple just magics this stuff up! - They don't.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You'd be extremely disappointed if that release does not also include the iPad? Be disappointed. 4.2 and the iPad took up a lot of time. They only have so many resources. These things take time. Last year 4.0 was previewed in February. This year 5.0 will likely be previewed around May. I'm being realistic here. You think Apple just magics this stuff up! - They don't.

WRONG.

iOS 4 was previewed on April 8, 2010.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/05/a...ent-april-8th/

iOS 4 released June 21, 2010

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_619343.html

iPhone 4 released June 24, 2010

http://www.infosyncworld.com/reviews...e-4/11031.html

Expect a similar release schedule from Apple for this year. A quick search would have given you factual dates. Also unless Apple releases the Golden Master to devs by next Monday or Tuesday we won't be seeing a final version of iOS 4.3 by the 14th. Apple always releases a Golden Master to devs before going public with their iOS offerings.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    I dread to think what this will do to my already barely functional iPhone 3G.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

I dread to think what this will do to my already barely functional iPhone 3G.

"Oh, no! I was forced to update to 4.x and obviously must update further to software that might run poorly or else my iPhone will break."

• Reply 16 of 17
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    So Apple's iDevice battle-rhythm is broadly:

Mar/Apr - Announce next iOS

Jun/Jul - Announce and release iPhone and release iOS

Sep - Announce and release iPods

I can't decide where I think iPad will fit in, it's capabilities are so related to iOS so it makes sense that customers buying it aren't getting a 9-month old OS - which in essence they did last year. (I'm sure I wasn't alone in thinking the iPad keynote was just a rehash of how iOS works). Perhaps iPad releases in Apr/May so the geeks which have heard about the next iOS and know what extra features they are about to get. Perhaps the tablet variant iOS differs sufficiently to justify it's own events in future.

The final versions of iOS 1, 2, and 3 came late Jan/Feb (except the iPad-only 3.2 and iPod touch-only 1.1.5) so it makes sense that 4.3 will be coming soon at which point effort cuts to iOS 5.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Is there any utility in upgrading if you have a 3G iPhone?