First Verizon iPhone 4 delivered, Genius comes to mobile iTunes Store

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A customer who was among the first to preorder the new Verizon iPhone 4 picked up their unit on Saturday, while many others hope to receive the handset in the mail on Monday. Also, Apple has added Genius recommendations to its mobile iTunes Store for the iPhone and iPad.

First Verizon iPhone 4 delivered

Five days before the CDMA iPhone 4 goes on sale to Verizon customers, evidence of the first early arrival has appeared online. YouTube user "billa9668" posted the video on Saturday, showing the delivery being picked up in the morning at a UPS store.

On Friday, customers who were among the first to preorder the handset found that their package tracking information indicated the Verizon iPhone 4 will be delivered on Monday, Feb. 7. While it's possible that Apple could hold the packages to be delivered on the announced Feb. 10 launch date, Saturday's apparent delivery could signal that those packages will arrive on Monday.

Verizon and Apple began to take iPhone 4 preorders for existing Verizon customers on Thursday, and soon after, those who were early to purchase began receiving notification that their order had shipped. That initial run of preorders quickly sold out.

For everyone else, preorders for the Verizon iPhone 4 will begin on Feb. 9. The handset will officially go on sale at Apple retail stores, online and at more than 2,000 Verizon retail stores across the U.S. on Feb. 10.

Apple brings Genius to mobile iTunes Store

Apple this week quietly added its Genius recommendation feature to the mobile versions of the iTunes Store for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. On the iPhone, Genius can be found by selecting the "More" option, while on the iPad, Genius is a selectable tab at the top of content sections including Music and Movies.

The Web-based iTunes application does not require any updates for the Genius feature to appear, much like how Apple added more flexible App Store search functionality to the iPad last week.

iTunes Store Genius for iPhone, photo via TUAW.

The Genius feature analyzes purchases made by users, and then recommends similar content that users may enjoy. Genius can also be used to create generated playlists within iTunes.

Apple previously added Genius software recommendations to the iPad App Store last August. App Store Genius recommendations were first introduced with iOS 3.1 in September 2009.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    veblenveblen Posts: 201member
    I was reading some of the comments in response to a similar story linked to the same youtube video over on MacRumors. I hope this thread avoids the insults to this gentleman and the woman shooting the video.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    If they're ready, ship 'em. Let the long national nightmare finally be over.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by veblen View Post

I was reading some of the comments in response to a similar story linked to the same youtube video over on MacRumors. I hope this thread avoids the insults to this gentleman and the woman shooting the video.

Agreed. I was floored with some of the comments on the MacRumors article. There was way too much hate towards us Midwesterners.

I'm happy for the guy...I remember how excited I was the day I got mine.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    I wonder how many other phones that are 8 months old, save the baseband HW, have been still so popular that it would warrant such a high demand and general interest.

… besides the HTC None, Moto Nada, Samsung Jack, Blackberry Zip, and Nokia Zilch.

Quote:

I was reading some of the comments in response to a similar story linked to the same youtube video over on MacRumors. I hope this thread avoids the insults to this gentleman.

What kind of insults?
  • Reply 5 of 22
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Thank god. Ever since the Verizon iPhone was introduced I have constantly been wondering who the person would be to get their iPhone first. Now I can finally remove myself from the edge of my seat.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

What kind of insults?

A lot comments were calling the guy a redneck, dumb Midwesterner, making fun of his accent, and his weight.

Comments geared towards the woman were regarding her video camera shooting ability mainly.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Well the video IS sideways.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by apple4life07 View Post

A lot comments were calling the guy a redneck, dumb Midwesterner, making fun of his accent, and his weight.

Comments geared towards the woman were regarding her video camera shooting ability mainly.

• Reply 8 of 22
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:

AMEN! I second that. I responded to a few of those threads regarding him carrying knives, and this is how the rest of the world views us and the general snobbery because he's a big man with a "Bubba" sounding dialect, as opposed to the loyal Verizon customer (he was, after all, able to participate in V's early iPhone ordering for loyal V customers) and a loyal Apple customer (note laptop in photo plus he purchased iPhone, not Droid).

He's just a happy new Verizon iPhone owner who wanted to share his moment with everyone. A lot on MR stated this wasn't front page or news worthy... Let us all remember that the next time un-boxing photos of the next Apple iMac or MacBook Pro show up!
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Maybe they were using a Droid to film it.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Think Different...

View Different!
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:

What kind of insults?

I'm not going to go into too much depth. I suppose they could be categorized as follows.

- Juvenile negative comments about his appearance and the woman's voice

- Prejudiced and condescending comments about working class people being excited about and owning iOS devices (even if it mattered, we know nothing about these people's backgrounds)

- Broad negative comments about people in the midwest

That probably doesn't cover it all but after the initial shock of reading the comments wore off I stopped reading.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Quote:

Maybe they were using a Droid to film it.

Good one!
  • Reply 13 of 22
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Yeah, I saw him open the package, but he didn't see me shoot an incredible raspberry in his direction!
  • Reply 14 of 22
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

On the linked YouTube page there's even a omment from someone calling it out as a fake
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

AMEN! I second that. I responded to a few of those threads regarding him carrying knives, and this is how the rest of the world views us and the general snobbery because he's a big man with a "Bubba" sounding dialect, as opposed to the loyal Verizon customer (he was, after all, able to participate in V's early iPhone ordering for loyal V customers) and a loyal Apple customer (note laptop in photo plus he purchased iPhone, not Droid).

He's just a happy new Verizon iPhone owner who wanted to share his moment with everyone. A lot on MR stated this wasn't front page or news worthy... Let us all remember that the next time un-boxing photos of the next Apple iMac or MacBook Pro show up!

Great, I'm glad to hear you had responded over there. I've never found the discourse reasonable enough to sign up for an account. Today definitely reinforced my opinion.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    [QUOTE=AppleInsider;1802242]A customer who was among the first to preorder the new Verizon iPhone 4 picked up their unit on Saturday, while many others hope to receive the handset in the mail on Monday. Also, Apple has added Genius recommendations to its mobile iTunes Store for the iPhone and iPad.

First Verizon iPhone 4 delivered

Five days before the CDMA iPhone 4 goes on sale to Verizon customers, evidence of the first early arrival has appeared online. YouTube user "billa9668" posted the video on Saturday, showing the delivery being picked up in the morning at a UPS store.

On Friday, customers who were among the first to preorder the handset found that their package tracking information indicated the Verizon iPhone 4 will be delivered on Monday, Feb. 7. While it's possible that Apple could hold the packages to be delivered on the announced Feb. 10 launch date, Saturday's apparent delivery could signal that those packages will arrive on Monday.

FedEx tracking shows delivery tomorrow for mine!
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:

I'm not going to go into too much depth. I suppose they could be categorized as follows.

- Juvenile negative comments about his appearance and the woman's voice

- Prejudiced and condescending comments about working class people being excited about and owning iOS devices (even if it mattered, we know nothing about these people's backgrounds)

- Broad negative comments about people in the midwest

That probably doesn't cover it all but after the initial shock of reading the comments wore off I stopped reading.

Yep they were professional Videoligist's. Or maybe Videit's
  • Reply 18 of 22
    I live about 45 minutes north of Evansville, Indiana, so I take offense to the people making fun of "midwesterners". I'm glad no one on here had anything bad to say. I love this site.

What does his accent or weight have to do with them making a video of him receiving his iPhone anyway? Nothing. I guess they are just jealous because they didn't get theirs first? Children.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zachh1020 View Post

I live about 45 minutes north of Evansville, Indiana, so I take offense to the people making fun of "midwesterners". I'm glad no one on here had anything bad to say. I love this site.

What does his accent or weight have to do with them making a video of him receiving his iPhone anyway? Nothing. I guess they are just jealous because they didn't get theirs first? Children.

Personally I'm quite stoked to see how happy these people were to get an iPhone. It's nice to see happy people after all the negative crap you get on the media. If it bleeds, it leads usually.

The whole sideways video thing - annoying. But I have done the same thing once myself. You never forget after the first time.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    I just recently checked out the Genius feature for the App Store on my iPhone and found GREAT recommendations! It's much more than just a fluffy feature.