Will iphones in transit REALLY be delivered early?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Mine is showing already arrived at my local town's FEDEX sort facility.

Is there anyway to fond out from the tracking info if it's supposed to be held for 2/10 delivery?

I know alot of people are showing estimated delivery dates on Monday (as I am), but I dont know that that alone necessarily means it'll arrive on that date?

Anyone know how this works?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    i'm under the assumption that we'll actually get them, because not everyone that pre-ordered one has gotten shipping info. apparently they only shipped out so many early and the rest of the people have to wait for delivery on the 10th.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowepg View Post

Mine is showing already arrived at my local town's FEDEX sort facility.

Is there anyway to fond out from the tracking info if it's supposed to be held for 2/10 delivery?

I know alot of people are showing estimated delivery dates on Monday (as I am), but I dont know that that alone necessarily means it'll arrive on that date?

Anyone know how this works?

Better question...............Will you be able to ACTIVATE the phone before February 10 ?????
  • Reply 3 of 14
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Better question...............Will you be able to ACTIVATE the phone before February 10 ?????

OUCH! That would hurt. Phone in hand and unable to activate.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Those of us who preordered the iPad got the same false hopes. Many of us watched our orders (apparently) ping-pong around the world from China, to our local sorting facility, to Memphis, back to China, then... magically in our hands on the very day they were promised. No sooner, no later. What you're watching is the progress of the paperwork, not the actual location of your package.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Those of us who preordered the iPad got the same false hopes. Many of us watched our orders (apparently) ping-pong around the world from China, to our local sorting facility, to Memphis, back to China, then... magically in our hands on the very day they were promised. No sooner, no later. What you're watching is the progress of the paperwork, not the actual location of your package.

My iPad indeed was in my hands the day it was promised. My iPhone is promised by UPS tracking to be in my hands tomorrow (Monday), and I'm sure it will arrive as promised. This is not a new product release which is tightly and secretly controlled by Apple so that the brand new product gets the buzz that comes from a single day launch. This is an 8-month old product, no new features or design, that merely operates on another cellphone frequency.

One of the reasons Verizon created a staged launch of the phone was to soften the initial stress on the network. They will not delay the activation of the phone as that would be counterproductive to a smooth launch. People will receive their phones as indicated by their UPS tracking status, and they will be able to activate.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NShirkey View Post

My iPad indeed was in my hands the day it was promised. My iPhone is promised by UPS tracking to be in my hands tomorrow (Monday), and I'm sure it will arrive as promised. This is not a new product release which is tightly and secretly controlled by Apple so that the brand new product gets the buzz that comes from a single day launch. This is an 8-month old product, no new features or design, that merely operates on another cellphone frequency.

One of the reasons Verizon created a staged launch of the phone was to soften the initial stress on the network. They will not delay the activation of the phone as that would be counterproductive to a smooth launch. People will receive their phones as indicated by their UPS tracking status, and they will be able to activate.

You'll let us know then. If preorders were supposed to be in the hands of buyers on 2-10, which I gather is what Apple said, then I'd personally bet on 2-10, not on what it says on UPS tracking. I found out with the iPad how strange and inaccurate that info can be for products shipped directly from the factory in China.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:

Quote:

You'll let us know then. If preorders were supposed to be in the hands of buyers on 2-10, which I gather is what Apple said, then I'd personally bet on 2-10, not on what it says on UPS tracking. I found out with the iPad how strange and inaccurate that info can be for products shipped directly from the factory in China.

Apple never said that. Their invitation to current qualified Verizon customers said "preorder your iPhone 4 Thursday, on a first come first served basis, to receive your iPhone on or before February 10. The "on or before" was listed several places on Apple's site. I don't recall Verizon saying that, but it appears they are getting them out faster than Apple.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Given that people already have them, this thread's basically over.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Given that people already have them, this thread's basically over.

Don't believe it! Those are obviously actors on a soundstage! Don't fall for the phony UPS tracking paperwork! The iPhones are safely locked away until the end of the week!
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NShirkey View Post

Apple never said that. Their invitation to current qualified Verizon customers said "preorder your iPhone 4 Thursday, on a first come first served basis, to receive your iPhone on or before February 10. The "on or before" was listed several places on Apple's site. I don't recall Verizon saying that, but it appears they are getting them out faster than Apple.

In that case, sure, you might well get them. It's still true that the tracking info for first-day iPad orders was meaningless. UPS said mine was still in China right up until the moment it arrived on my doorstep. A lot of people saw that and wondered if they were going to arrive on time. I asked the UPS dude about that and he just shrugged.

So, as someone asked above -- can you active the phone before 2-10?
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

So, as someone asked above -- can you active the phone before 2-10?

As my link intimates, yes, you can.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    lowepglowepg Posts: 106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

As my link intimates, yes, you can.

Did you actually follow your own link?

It shows some guy who went to UPS to pickup his iphone.

It doesnt INTIMATE either of the things you suggest it does:

1. If iphones will be delivered on Monday

2. That they can be activated.

Actually, if you read the comments in your link, it states just the opposite- that he may not be able to activate it right away. Not that that is empiracal data either- but funny you use this as evidence.... DUH.

So nice FAIL on your attempt to post here.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    lowepglowepg Posts: 106member
    Delivered this afternoon!

Took about 2 min to activate- no gliches.... enjoying all the bars!
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Delivered tonight, takes about 5 minutes to activate. Synced all my iPad apps automatically, set up my email etc. in no time. Rock on Verizon and Apple!

Why were people so sure something would go wrong??