Motorola Xoom featured in ad packed with Apple references

Comments

• Reply 21 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

I can't blame Moto because it's very difficult to compete against the iPad. The bar is set so very high.

The iPad is slow, doesn't play flash, and you're limited to buying your programs from Big Brother via the App store. I don't think the iPad is a slam-dunk by any means.

More options are good. Apple is becoming the Big Brother they once slung the hammer at in '84.
  • Reply 22 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Apple should start offering those white hooded capes in the Apple store.

Better yet have Apple Store employees start wearing evil crimson-red hooded capes. If competitors want to brand Apple as a cult, at least give them some basis.

As for the commercial, it was a bust. Unless someone was a hardcore Apple geek many of the references were probably over their head. And unless someone was watching for this sort of thing, they probably spent that commercial break getting more food or in the restroom.
  • Reply 23 of 223
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

Doesn't it seem a little desperate when the best your ad agency can do is rip off a 27-year old commercial?

Have you seen the 1984 ad? How is it ripping it off?
  • Reply 24 of 223
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

I don't think this ad will be very effective for Motorola.

I can't blame Moto because it's very difficult to compete against the iPad. The bar is set so very high.

To me the Xoom ad just says The Xoom exists and it desperately wants a piece of Apple's pie.

The Xoom will need more than Google map to be competitive.

Time will tell.

Talking of Motorola this is a joke add on based on their original phone (I had one!). Slightly off topic but here is the perfect iPhone accessory.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...step-time.html
  • Reply 25 of 223
    This is FAIL on so many levels. It’s like their only goal is to beat the Galaxy Tab on buyer’s remorse and returns. Arstechnica points out that just a few weeks ago at CES there were no demo units to use, just demos running on units. That doesn’t seem like a device that is stable and ready to ship.

PS: Does it at least have an IPS display? I know all the Asus tablets coming out this year do.
  • Reply 26 of 223
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    I don't see how this kind of ad when you bashed your competitor's users as drones will be effective when your product is not revolutionary.
  • Reply 27 of 223
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:

Apple should start offering those white hooded capes in the Apple store. They look great and go really well with the signature Apple white earbuds.

I would totally buy one and wear it for as long as the ad is on the air.
  • Reply 28 of 223
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:

Apple should start offering those white hooded capes in the Apple store. They look great and go really well with the signature Apple white earbuds.

I like the white hoodies also.
  • Reply 29 of 223
    I didn't watch the superbowl and didn't see the ad; i've only read the pre and post game hype about the ad, and here is my take. The subject of the original 1984 ad, the Macintosh, was truly a revolutionary product in its user interface. It changed how everyone (command line unix fans excepted) interacts with a computer. It was a huge paradigm shift that is now taken largely for granted. It is ironic that Moto used 1984 as the basis for their jab at Apple, given that their product is a "me too" rather than a paradigm shift. Apple could have used the same 1984 ad to launch the original ipods, the iphone, and the ipad - each of those were significant changes in products that have become the paradigm for that class of product. It doesn't matter if the moto pad is excellent or not. Its not a paradigm shift and its not going to change the market. In that sense, I think Moto's use of 1984 is misguided.
  • Reply 30 of 223
    The most stupid ad I have ever seen. I don't own a TV and I don't watch sports, so events like Superbowl are non-event in my life.

And for spending millions on a piece of shit like this ad, Motorola marketing dept, needs to be dismantled. These guys, absolutely have no clue of what they are doing. I can't believe what I just saw.
  • Reply 31 of 223
    I think it would be awesome to get a white hoodie and camp out for the VZW iPhone. Just stand like a drone the whole time. That'd be sweet.
  • Reply 32 of 223
    junkiejunkie Posts: 122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

The iPad is slow, doesn't play flash, and you're limited to buying your programs from Big Brother via the App store. I don't think the iPad is a slam-dunk by any means.

More options are good. Apple is becoming the Big Brother they once slung the hammer at in '84.

Nothing wrong with more options and the competition is good for everyone. And if the Xoom has features the iPad lacks, why not communicate those?

I just am not that impressed with the way Android on one hand copies Apple so intensely and then treats Apple like they are somehow doing something wrong. The iPad was the only good device out there last year. People didn't buy it because they were sheep, there was no other decent option. And if I remember correctly, it was just 12 months ago that Jobs had to get up there and explain why a device like this was even needed. No one understood that there was even a market for these things until the iPad was released and then everyone was blow away how well it sold. Are we really supposed to fault Apple somehow for this success??

Apple is not big brother. They curate the Appstore. Big deal. Android can compete on those terms and if consumers like their solution better, good for them. Make a business case for those advantages, not a moral one. There is no moral issue with Apple controlling the appstore. It is good for consumers and while developers may whine, they are making a lot of money there and finding an audience that did not exist before.

And Google has it's own Big Brother thing going with tracking all our searches and keeping tabs on us. That is a downside too and with Android you are even more in their snare. It is a tradeoff, privacy for those benefits. FIne. But its not like they are saints.

Apple doesn't like Flash. Big deal. Flash sucks on these devices. Android can make a lot of hey about how they support Flash but you know what? Android to begin with can get really slow and unresponsive so maybe they have nothing to lose adding Flash to that mess?
  • Reply 34 of 223
    Ok, let's think about the marketing strategy that went into this: We know the target market probably has an iphone, an Ipod, maybe a mac of some type - maybe...even an Ipad, but we are going to make them feel like idiot clones who have been duped and brain washed, And we are not even going to showcase our own product.

Sheesh, I'm in the wrong business.....and could someone unprogram me.
  • Reply 35 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

Doesn't it seem a little desperate when the best your ad agency can do is rip off a 27-year old commercial?

Agreed.

I thought the soon-to-be-released Xoom was competing with the April 2010 iPad, not the 1984 Macintosh. Man, Motorola is later to the game than I thought!!

\
  • Reply 36 of 223
    I thought that was a commercial for JCrew not a Xoom.

I think if Motorola wants to compete in a tablet market they should try to undercut their competition. Not come to the game late with a high priced item.

The iPad 2 will be coming out soon enough and will improve on the their first model and as we know Apple will keep their current price levels or even dip down.

Now I am going out to buy a white hoodie for myself and wife.
  • Reply 37 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rattyuk View Post

They got something right. The number of Xooms compared to the number of Apple devices.

• Reply 38 of 223
    nebrienebrie Posts: 483member
    I'm pretty sure Creative tried this same ad strategy against the iPod and quickly discovered that mocking your potential customer base is a horrible idea.
  • Reply 39 of 223
    The best ads, iPad is magical:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATpSPNIuj3M
  • Reply 40 of 223
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    What a lame advert. Not sure what it even looks like.

Took a look at the original. Classy. But that's the Apple way. Apple is for the rest of us.

There's room for competition but at $800+, the price may slow its sales. Possibly, price cuts will exhume it.