Motorola Xoom featured in ad packed with Apple references

Comments

• Reply 41 of 223
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    I really hope Apple positions the iPad 2 as the "spec leader" among the iOS devices. Right now the iPhone has the most RAM while the iPod touch has the largest amount of storage.
  • Reply 42 of 223
    Some of you guys aren't thinking as much as you should, if you think they're "copying" the 1984 ad. They're alluding to it, to make fun of the fact that the image portrayed in that ad is *exactly* what Apple is today. iOS devices are completely closed and don't really allow you to think; you have no choice with them, really. I mean, hell, Big Brother in Apple's 1984 ad even kinda looks like Steve Jobs, being an old, thin man wearing glasses.

I once saw a "Post your iPhone homescreen" thread, and it was the funniest thing. It might as well have been "What apps do you have on your homescreen, and what wallpaper are you using?" since they all looked the same. And what's really, really funny (sad?) is that it took three years to even get to use your own background on iPhones; how can anyone even justify that?

Anyway, enough about that; unto the Xoom. The Xoom will be a great success. No, it won't sell as much as the iPad, but it will still be very successful. However, the biggest thing about the Xoom is that it's just the first step in what's going to be an explosive year for Android tablets.

I want you all to bookmark this page, and check it one year from now. By this time next year, the iPad will have less than 50% of the tablet market. This is so certain it's basically fact (please don't try and debate this, I'm completely right). Allow me to explain:

Android currently has 22% of the Tablet market. That's pretty much just thanks to the Galaxy Tab--a device that really can't compete with the iPad, in software or in hardware--as well as several of those cheapy Android tablets made by companies you've never heard of.

But this year, beginning with the Xoom, we're going to see a major explosion of high-profile tablets, running software that was actually built around the tablet form-factor (instead of just an upscaled phone operating system, like with the iPad and the Tab).

Just like the Motorola Droid was the harbinger of Android's domination in the smartphone industry, the Xoom will be the harbinger of its domination in the tablet industry.

Anyway, that's all I have to say. Please don't try and argue with me, as it's pointless; everything I said is completely right and true. Please bookmark this page and check it one year from now.
  • Reply 43 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Congratulations Motorola. You just gave Apple more free advertisement.

They were too busy "trying" to mock Apple they failed to feature their own tablet more. Everyone I was with watching the Super Bowl who saw the commercial thought it was an iPad.

:lol Yup! The white airbuds made me think it was an Apple iPad commercial. I'm sure some viewers would think that Xoom was a new model name for the iPad2! You know, after a couple of beers, nobody's going to read the tag line. What was the tagline anyway? Great game. Glad Greenbay won back the trophy. The really weird commercial was the Sony Ericson commercial with the thumbs sown onto the Android robot. The Frankendroid can now play games! Better keep my thumbs in my pocket before they cut mine off!
  • Reply 44 of 223
    insult removed
  • Reply 45 of 223
    dishdish Posts: 64member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Have you seen the 1984 ad? How is it ripping it off?

Seriously? You really can't see the similarities? I hope you're joking.
  • Reply 46 of 223
    xzuxzu Posts: 139member
    I liked the commercial! Of course I am old and remember the original, it probably won't resonate on anyone younger then 40. I like the references, though too bad only a small number of people, diehard apple people will get it. I don't think trying to be cool is way to attack the tablet market.

Apple is in the lead and it will be hard to stop the momentum. Almost a year after the first iPad and the market has not been able to get close to Apple's price. Volume will give Apple the price advantage, one off features are not going to dislodge the iPad. I don't think the average person is comparing specs on tablets. A faster processor does not really beat out thousands of apps.

Googles tablet OS may develop into a competitor next year, but it is at least a year behind, and with technology that may as well be a decade. Unless someone can beat Apple on price, it will be hard to compete. In that way it is similar to Apple vs. MicroSoft.
  • Reply 47 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Hmmmm... more meanderings from a sociopath...

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

Please don't flame me, not only is it uncalled for, it's against the rules.
  • Reply 48 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Voight-Kampff View Post

Some of you guys aren't thinking as much as you should, if you think they're "copying" the 1984 ad. They're alluding to it, to make fun of the fact that the image portrayed in that ad is *exactly* what Apple is today. iOS devices are completely closed and don't really allow you to think; you have no choice with them, really. I mean, hell, Big Brother in Apple's 1984 ad even kinda looks like Steve Jobs, being an old, thin man wearing glasses.

I once saw a "Post your iPhone homescreen" thread, and it was the funniest thing. It might as well have been "What apps do you have on your homescreen, and what wallpaper are you using?" since they all looked the same. And what's really, really funny (sad?) is that it took three years to even get to use your own background on iPhones; how can anyone even justify that?

Anyway, enough about that; unto the Xoom. The Xoom will be a great success. No, it won't sell as much as the iPad, but it will still be very successful. However, the biggest thing about the Xoom is that it's just the first step in what's going to be an explosive year for Android tablets.

I want you all to bookmark this page, and check it one year from now. By this time next year, the iPad will have less than 50% of the tablet market. This is so certain it's basically fact (please don't try and debate this, I'm completely right). Allow me to explain:

Android currently has 22% of the Tablet market. That's pretty much just thanks to the Galaxy Tab--a device that really can't compete with the iPad, in software or in hardware--as well as several of those cheapy Android tablets made by companies you've never heard of.

But this year, beginning with the Xoom, we're going to see a major explosion of high-profile tablets, running software that was actually built around the tablet form-factor (instead of just an upscaled phone operating system, like with the iPad and the Tab).

Just like the Motorola Droid was the harbinger of Android's domination in the smartphone industry, the Xoom will be the harbinger of its domination in the tablet industry.

Anyway, that's all I have to say. Please don't try and argue with me, as it's pointless; everything I said is completely right and true. Please bookmark this page and check it one year from now.

Samsung admitted that they distributed about a 22% market share into the sales market. This would include Verizon, and ATT as well as other distribution channels. What consumers actually bought was "much less". Google it on your "Tab" soda.

Honeycomb is not out yet, honey! Tab is running on hand phone Android and the screen in relatively small so it is worthless if you want to examine Xrays, CAT scans, sell real estate, or show off a picture of your "junk". Any other tablet running Android is a black market clone that's either garbage now or will fall apart like a transistor radio from the '60's.
  • Reply 49 of 223
    I thought Apple was making an iPad commercial with a retro feel. Way to sink yourselves Motorola.
  • Reply 50 of 223
    Quote:

And Apple will still be accounting for over 50% of the tablet profit. Having the leading marketshare can often be pyrrhic victory especially when comparing platforms where one is is from a single vendor and the other is comprised of several vendors vying for the same customers.
  • Reply 51 of 223
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nebrie View Post

I'm pretty sure Creative tried this same ad strategy against the iPod and quickly discovered that mocking your potential customer base is a horrible idea.

Hi, I'm a Mac

And I'm a PC

Do you want me to continue?

To set the record straight: This thing will NOT require carrier activation. Best buy will require the activation before they sell it to you. This is COMMON PRACTICE for companies selling cellular device, even tablets. Look for other stores to offer to sell it to you outright, no activation required.

As for the ad:

Remember this ad is out:

-Before a majority of people even knew there was an android tablet (or anything other than an ipad for that matter)

-before an official release date

-before anyone knows the official pricing or monthly costs

It's likely the first in a series of advertisements that will either build on the theme presented in this first ad or reference to it.

Remember the initial "iDon't" commercial? People didn't know what it was, what it meant, and most of the tech world wrote it off. But that campaign turned android into "why are you talking about startrek" to every android device being called a "droid" no matter what carrier it was on.
  • Reply 52 of 223
    You got it! Link right on my desktop and an iCal reminder.

Quote:

• Reply 53 of 223
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:

Some of you guys aren't thinking as much as you should, if you think they're "copying" the 1984 ad. They're alluding to it, to make fun of the fact that the image portrayed in that ad is *exactly* what Apple is today.

I'd bet you were not even born in 1984 or you were in diapers. I was around far longer than that. I remember that commercial, and I certainly remember the way things were in the 80's when IBM and Microsoft/DOS was the only game in town in terms of what was offered for the masses.

The problem with folks like you is that you try to pass off what Motorola is doing as something factual.

You're right in that you're not worth anywhere near a tangible effort in arguing with you. You can continue believing whatever you want in your little, pathetic bubble.

The actual reality is that back in the 80's, there was no choice. Today, there is choice everywhere. Motorola and other companies would kill to be in the exact same position that Apple is in now.

This commercial only says one thing. That everyone chose Apple because they provided the best choice for consumers, and no one except one person wanted that Xoom, and that he's such an anti-social, nerd/geek/techtard to even get the courage to approach a girl. Typical.
  • Reply 54 of 223
    Quote:

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

Please don't flame me, not only is it uncalled for, it's against the rules.

bwahahaha! do you not have ANY dignity?
  • Reply 55 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmovie View Post

Samsung admitted that they distributed about a 22% market share into the sales market. This would include Verizon, and ATT as well as other distribution channels. What consumers actually bought was "much less". Google it on your "Tab" soda.

Honeycomb is not out yet, honey! Tab is running on hand phone Android and the screen in relatively small so it is worthless if you want to examine Xrays, CAT scans, sell real estate, or show off a picture of your "junk". Any other tablet running Android is a black market clone that's either garbage now or will fall apart like a transistor radio from the '60's.

Actually the "much less" comment was a mistranslation. Sort of like the "return rate" was just another example of shoddy journalism.

And here's a little hint:

-If samsung sold the tab to Best Buy, or if they sold it to Joe the Plumber they still get paid. This is why the typical arguments of "Motorola's not making anything because Verizon is giving the phones away" and the like are meaningless. That phone that a customer got BoGo? Motorola got full payment for it. This is the reason Apple's profits are so high. They're making insane money from the carrier's because you the consumer don't see the actual cost of the device 9/10

-7 inches is easier to hold/manage than a 10 inch device. 10 is nice for browsing at your hour or at work, but it sucks if you're on the go.
  • Reply 56 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

The rumors are, backed by a leaked Best Buy ad, that the Xoom is actually going to be more expensive than an iPad? Who are they kidding? Do they have delusions of grandeur? They'll be laughed out of the market...

You would seriously have to be someone of my age or better to remember the 1984 Apple ad and make the connection. Most people won't. It was a lame commercial.

Although the "1984" ad is a classic, it only ran once at the Super Bowl, and any student of advertising and marketing knows of and has seen it. I'm in Advertising and probably seen that ad a lot more than the average viewer young and old, but do not associate this Xoom ad with it. There's a campaign for a TV maker and a Cable service that has a bunch of people represent color pixes, or bits of information. This is what I think the Xoom commercial mimics. In the end, doesn't the Xoom really just want to hook up with the Apple girl? You could tack on Coke's "Share the Happiness" (or whatever their tagline is) and sell Coke instead. So much for focus groups and creative strategies! As the article so deftly concluded, there commercial makes no product superiority claims, nor does it allude to a point of difference. Sure is one Hell of a way to blow a million or more dollars on a nebulous Super Bowl commercial that simply reinforces the attraction of an iPad. Personally, giving the gal real flowers instead of drawing her a picture on an $800 tablet would have done the job a lot better and a lot cheaper. I'd still have some money left over for coffee! \
  • Reply 57 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

This commercial only says one thing. That everyone chose Apple because they provided the best choice for consumers, and no one except one person wanted that Xoom, and that he's such an anti-social, nerd/geek/techtard to even get the courage to approach a girl. Typical.

You missed the point of the entire commercial then, and by extension the 1984 original ad.

By your reasoning, everyone chose IBM because it was the best choice for consumers, and no one except one person wanted that mac, a chick with anger issues who instead of showing people why her machine is better she just destroys theirs. Typical.

Or you know, it could be, like the 1984 commercial, "There is something new coming, and it's different. stay tuned for more information". He also got the girl in the ad btw, and considering the entire culture wore earbuds, he was the most social one there.

Side note: I find it ironic that so many apple sites/blogs are commenting about how the xoom ad was a failure because it told you nothing about the device. Neither did 1984, or the first iphone commercial, or the first droid commercial. All three of those products seem to be doing well for having a launch ad that "told you nothing."
  • Reply 58 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

The iPad is slow, doesn't play flash, and you're limited to buying your programs from Big Brother via the App store. I don't think the iPad is a slam-dunk by any means.

More options are good. Apple is becoming the Big Brother they once slung the hammer at in '84.

The only reasom people refer to Apple as the new "Big Brother" is because they are bigger and more sucessful now. So what is Apple to do make crappy products that no one buys so they are the "little brother?" Apple will never be likes the IBM's or MS's type they play by there own rules, run there own game and "we" not "them" watch as others follow in there wake. Apple is a company that is currently not stopping, they are constantly trying to change the way people look at technology and making it better. Sure it is there "playground" for the most part but it's were they can really shine and keep making products better. Not like Dell or HP who has to wait for MS to finally get Windows as a competitor to Mac OS X. Apple someday WILL plataue more likely but for now this is there time, they day to shine and I say let them. MS had it's glory days when it made a deal with the devil (IBM) years ago, now lets watch Apple take the consumer electronics to the next level!!
  • Reply 59 of 223
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Xoom is, according to an Engadget report, expected to become available February 24, in a CDMA/EVDO 3G-only version sold by Verizon for $800. The unit will be accompanied by optional data plans that start at $20 32GB per month for 1GB, but an ad from BestBuy also notes that "to activate WiFi functionality on this device, a minimum of 1 month data subscription is required." Unlike the iPad, there are no cheaper WiFi-only versions of the Xoom.

[/url][/c]

This will spell doom for Xoom.

The only buyers of this overpriced tablet will be the die-hard Android fans and Apple-haters. Why does Motorola feel the need to sell through a carrier and not make a WiFi-only tablet? Did Verizon in their usual strong-arm tactics somehow convince Motorola to only sell thru Verizon only?

If Motorola wanted to make a dent, sell it directly to the retailers and bypass the carriers. Apple does that with the iPad.

Doesn't make sense. This will be another line-item written down in the book of Motorola's comedy of errors.
  • Reply 60 of 223
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Should keep up with your research, pal. Check out AppleInsider's post 30 days later (30 Jan): "Samsung admits its iPad-rival Galaxy Tab sales...".

As bmovie's already pointed out, most may be in sellers hands but few have been actually bought and 16% of the few that were purchased, were returned. Sad, eh?

Think about it. Apple spent 7+ years planning the iPad. Then they saw the potential of a smart phone so the iPad was put on the back burner, built the iPhone and returned to their original plan.

You actually think that someone can, in less than a year, slaps together some Android guts and make something to compare to Apple's efforts?

The iPhone and iPad will follow in the well laid steps of the iPod.